1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should a good Christian be patriotic?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Greektim, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOT waving the flag, but God will also want to know why so many of His own adopted pro abortion/gay rights, kept voting in bad anb immoral persons into public offices!

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kudos to Scarlett O.

I believe the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob established this country. I also believe we have forgotten our God and our day is near for doing so. How be it, I also believe the kingdoms of this world are about to become the kingdoms of our Lord and his Christ and this country and all the world will be the better for it becoming so.

We should have been patriotic to our God and then to our country.

3. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

If there was a like button I would use it right here. It seems as if some are saying that to be good christians we cannot have pride in our country. For sure America is sin sick and in line for judgement, therefore as a Christian first who loves his country second it is my job to do what I can to point people to Christ. I do not see how the two are opposed to each other. If some cannot see how greatly America has been blessed by God ever since our inception as a nation then I truly feel sorry for those people. If some cannot see that by and large the men who shaped the country (while definitly not perfect) laid our foundations on Biblical values and principals and that many of the Founding Fathers were in fact Christian then, again I truly feel sorry for those people as well. America cannot claim to be Gods "chosen nation" that distinction has already been taken but no other country in the world has sent out as many missionaries as we have or done more in the way of humanitarian relief work then we have. To be sure America has fallen a long way from the heritage she was built upon and it is past time for the true believers here to become the prophets we are supposed to be and once more sound out Gods warning about sin (oh wait don't talk about sin just tell them Jesus loves them and that will fix everything...hows that woring out again? Nations straightening right out is'nt it?! lol). God will judge sin and America is prime for it but to make comments that deny our true heritage or make it out to be a bad thing to be a proud, PATRIOTIC American, well that's just a real special kind of ignorant.

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me thinks

that we are to render unto to Rome that which is Rome's. I don't care one way or another if a believer is a flag waver. However, I happen to love this country. Always have, always will, and even though I am disgusted with how it is today in the nation, I love the colors, and they don't RUN!

I would die for the red, white and blue, if it meant returning her to the days of its initial concepts!

However,if someone doesn't like it here,vor can't stand up frthe falg, I agree they should leave! I salute you for leaving. That is what being an American is all about. I know a lot of men and women who died so you could have the freedom to leave....in fact, I wish a lot of others [who don't like this country] leave, too!

Maybe it would help restore America to the nation of the home of the brave and the land of the free! Not the home of the illegals, anarchists, lawless, corrupt, greedy, immoral and conservative hating liberals!

Yes I wave the flag, proud and high! God bless America.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#24 righteousdude2, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
  5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I never have liked the 'love it or leave it mentality' even in my most flag waving conservative days.

Just because someone disagrees with what I think 'love' is doesn't mean they have to leave.

Some might say if a person is always complaining about the current state of affairs maybe they should leave.

America is a wonderful country. It is wide enough for a diversity of views and opinions, many of which are confused for hatred by those with opposing views.

Maybe 'America, love it and get involved in fixing it' would be a better view.

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, as an expatriate American, along with GreekTim and C4K, I miss my earthly homeland terribly at times. Can't even buy root beer in the land of sushi!

Now, give GreekTim a break if you've never lived for a long time in a foreign country (and this doesn't count living on a safe US base with all the comforts of home). It isn't easy. I believe what he is getting at is the Great Commission. Several have pointed out that America has sent out a huge number of missionaries. So did England, though, and it is now pretty much apostate. America is not far behind. The missionaries retiring who came out after WW2 is not being replaced, and the missionary force is decreasing across the board.

Having said that, ktn4eg is the only one who has given direct Scripture here (not just a chapter #), and he's on target. Pay attention here--there's too much heat and not enough light on this thread.
    Right on!
    These Scriptures are relevant as to how we should relate to our government. You're right on target. However, there are other Scriptures that apply even more directly. I'll add them in another post.

#26 John of Japan, Mar 14, 2014
  7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Hey John,

We can get root beer here now (if we are willing to pay for it)

As usual your post is balanced and clear. I do miss yet States at times, but have to say I really like my life here as well. It's a different land with different ways, but God is the same here as there.

#27 NaasPreacher (C4K), Mar 14, 2014
  8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Japanese are extremely patriotic and nationalistic, even Christians. A famous Japanese pastor once said, "I love two 'Js,' Japan and Jesus, and I know not which I love more." This grieves my heart.

My grandfather wrote a best selling book on Heaven, first published by Moody Press back in the '40s I believe. They sent him the proofs, and he saw that they had changed his "Heaven" to "heaven." He called the editor and said, "Do you capitalize New York at Moody Press?" The editor said they did. So he said, "Why don't you capitalize Heaven, too? It's a real place!" The publisher relented.

Now notice that Abraham was not a citizen of an earthly country, but it is written in Heb. 11--"8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. 9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: 10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God."

Another relevant passage is 1 Peter 1:1, "Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia." My son's PhD dissertation dealt in part with the displacement felt by believers "scattered abroad," in particular the Greek word paroikos in 1 Peter 2:11, translated "strangers" there, but the Greek is a different word from that in 1:1. Paroikos deals more with the sense of alienation these believers felt from the Roman Empire and their Jewish homeland, both of which persecuted believers. My son identified with that feeling, being an MK (Missionary Kid), having grown up in Japan. America to him was largely foreign when he went to college there. In a sense, any country on earth is foreign to a believer. Our Home is Heaven--capital H!!!

My final question: how patriotic will you stay as persecution becomes worse and worse in our beloved USA? Which will come first, Heaven or America? For the record, I love America, and retain my citizenship. But my Home is Heaven.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

This is a hard issue. I have to wonder about loving and being proud of a country that has allowed for the murder of some 50 million of its children.

Does all the good America done outweigh that?

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, man. Is God calling me there? "Lord, I'm listening...."

Once you've lived overseas for a few decades like you and I have, I think Heaven becomes closer and America farther! Every furlough the USA looks more and more debauched. Japan is more socially conservative in many ways than "Christian" America!

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the blood of those babies cries out to God, and the recent extreme weather being experienced there is only the beginning.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Statements like this show you have no idea what it means to be patriotic.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Tragically abortion, in rare cases, has just become legal here in this pagan ungodly land.

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I say yes!

Jesus Christ Himself said: Mark 12:17. And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s. And they marvelled at him.

15. OldRegular

Thank you Ms Scarlett for those words I wish I could have said so eloquently. I love my country. I love her in spite of the fact that she has slaughtered over 56 million of her unborn children. I love her for the good that is still in her in spite of the evil.

Of the eight men in my family seven served in the Military during time of war, five in WWII, one did not come home. Only my baby brother, 80 this year did not serve. I grieve each and every time I hear of a young man or young woman dying for this country, even in wars that perhaps should not be fought. My heart goes out to all those I see who are terribly maimed in war.

I grieve for the evil that is in this country and I do what I can to reverse what seems to be a downward spiral. Nevertheless, I believe this country is the greatest and best that this world has seen and I love her!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It fits into the mindset tht some want us to adopt, as we cannot be proud americans, but need to become 'good world citizens", and feel guity about being the bad America, that used up narural resources, and still dares to support isreal, refuses to go fully Green, hasn'r bought into global warming hoax etc!

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Surely you don't contend that killing babies is the same as those things? Shouldn't Americans feel guilty about 50 million dead children?

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    they should feel before that guilty of being sinners before a holy God though, as abortions, gay marriages, bad theology etc ALL stem from that truth ofnot seeing themselves accountible before a Holy God!

19. OldRegular

They should and those who continue to support the "party of death", the democrat party, are guilty of this American Holocaust! That goes double for those professing Christians on this BB who support the "party of death", Crabtownboy being the most vocal!.

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

But forty years on the slaughter continues despite there bring two parties that have shared power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.