1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should a pastor be full time or bi-vo

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 27, 2013.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't want to go as far as should and oughts, but will share my experience.

Small churches we have been part of could only pay "supply". That is, they paid someone weekly to preach--usually the same man for years at a time. That meant those hospital at 2 a.m. visits, etc, were done by the deacons and the members of the congregation. They were strong, healthy churches.

I'll say this gently: the larger churches with a full time pastor were not so healthy. Part of it is just common sense. If your mortgage payment, or your car payment, or shoes and milk for the baby depend on you pleasing the congregation with what you say and attracting outsiders, you are in bondage and not as free to preach the Word fully.

I believe we should accord our pastors double honor. And I believe in giving financial remuneration. But just saying--the less money is involved, the more freedom to step on toes when they need stepping on.

2. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Agreed. I believe that is what Paul instructed the Elders to do in the early New Testament Church.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It simply amazes me that some folks do not want to pay the preacher. Shame on all of them.

4. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

:BangHead:
    This is pretty much in agreement with Paul when he said he would not take pay lest the Gospel be hindered.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It is interesting that no one has a problem with paying their mechanic, or their plumber, or even their baby-sitter, but the pastor should be kept poor and hungry so he will preach well. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Especially if you factor in the cost of a Bible college or seminary education.

I am bi-vo and I'll agree with Salty on this one.

Those claiming the Scriptures teach not to pay pastors are reading their own preferences into the Scriptures.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wish my husband would go bivo but he just doesn't have the time and he is expected to give his time to the church. He gave up a 6 figure salary in order to be in the ministry. He's had SO many more disappointments, discouragements, hard days and tribulations since he did this than he ever did working in the public sector. And all this with less than 1/2 the salary. Yep - it's a GREAT deal. ;)

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean we finally agree on something!!:smilewinkgrin:
    (Mex - send me an email)

Now I understand - its okay for a deacon to miss a day of work (and pay) to vist people in the hospital.....
    How about State/commonwealth law - most require an ordained minster to marry someone

Lets add to this - a missionary pastor - he is just starting a church - and has no deacons.....

8. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm hope he's had (and you as well) many more encouragements than discouragements...joyful fellowship rather than tribulations. It's always a great deal to obey God.

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hear, hear! Very few Japanese churches have deacons, even those pastored by Japanese. If the pastor didn't do it, the sick would not get visited.

The great majority of Japanese pastors have an outside job. This is not because they want to. They would love to pastor full time, but Japanese churches are usually too small to support a pastor full time. (150 years of Protestant missions, only 1/2 of 1.0% evangelical Christian.)

On another facet of the discussion, the distinction between missionaries and pastors is a false dichotomy. Every church-planting missionary is a pastor for the length of time he is planting the church. If he doesn't teach the Bible no one will. If he doesn't visit the sick no one will. If he doesn't counsel the hurting no one will. If he doesn't train people to evangelize no one will.

10. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

#30 HeirofSalvation, May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
  11. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Paul said they were worthy of wages and should receive wages. Being a pastor is a full time job. It's not just going up a couple of times a week to preach. Looking after the spiritual needs of the church, dealing with the sick(both elder jobs) can take a lot of time.

now of course the smaller the church, the less needs there are(and money) so many times a pastor will have to have a second job. Some churches have to have multiple elders just to be able to do everything that needs to be done.