1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should a pastor be permitted to have a beer once in while?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said, ..."the brand of wine Mogen David... I'm sure that if one did not want to partake of the wine for whatever reason they would not be looked upon any differently."

Brother, it's not how others look upon them that counts! You say that making me wonder if you would (or ever have) warned the ex-drunks and/or new converts about the fact that you are giving them an intoxicating beverage in your communion? I would find that rather disturbing.

2. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Furthermore, here is proof that law enforcement regards DUI as intoxication (...again...from the Latin root 'toxin' = poison) ;

[​IMG]

If you cannot see the wording then you will find it much enlarged here:

https://www.safe2drive.com/student/en/images/texasTrafficViolations_final_3.jpg

3. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And? You are talking about yeast in the wine. But yeast is not rotten nor does it cause harm to the drinker. No one ever got drunk from drinking grape juice (which by the way, is much better tasting than any liquid that has undergone putrefaction (decay, degeneration, rotteness).

Jesus use of leaven is merely a symbol of evil. He had a reason for this even though He knew it was not poisonous by itself.

The bottom line is that we should not drink what is naturally poisonous to us or ANYTHING that degrades a clear thinking mind and perverts our judgment. Ex: "It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink." Prov. 31:4. So would it be wrong for kings and princes to imbibe but quite all right for the average believer? No way. The exception to the rule was stated above as I quoted Paul's admonition to Timothy.

But if you can continue to justify the drinking of that which even man's law tells us is intoxicating(poisonous) please see the Texas state law chart above... then I will rest my case.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You can't have it both ways, bud. Either it's poison, as you've stated numerous times, or it's not.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, don't fall for this "wine is unleavened!" nonsense. Even when filtered, fermented wine contains tiny fragments of the dead yeast.

6. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You continue to confuse the issue. God gave the command not to imbibe in fermented beverages...but made an exception as it relates to medicinal use. And...we know the reason for the medical as opposed to the recreational use of the two different states of wine and/or liquors of various kinds.

You falsely charged me with confusing the drinking of wine as 'intoxicating' and therefore poisonous (i.e. fermented wine, which you say it is not) yet I proved that you were wrong with but one single statement from the Texas State Police. I can give you many more examples. Are you still going to insist on that point after seeing this? If so, I rest my case with you and we are done here.

P.S. How much is too much? At what point is God displeased with drinking wine and beyond moderation? One drink? Two? Three? Four? Five? etc. ..............please specify and then give scripture to prove your point.

7. matt wade

You haven't shown a single command of God stating such.

I don't even know what you are talking about here. What did I falsely charge you with?

God is displeased when wine becomes an addiction and therefore an idol in our lives.

8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you need to stop being a patronizing, petulant child. :)

9. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to have missed the point. You stated "poisoning begins with the first drink." Either what you said was untrue or Paul told Timothy to commit suicide. I suspect the former is more likely correct.

10. matt wade

You think this is bad? Just wait till he starts telling you about how the demons have possessed just about every person he's ever come in contact with and the insane level of physical manifestations of these demons. One would believe that his life was the inspiration for the movie Poltergeist.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, then please forgive this nearly 65 yr old 'petulant child'.

You clearly don't like it when someone crosses you with facts from both scripture and legal sources that prove your point is in error.

Well, O.K. have a nice day, brother. Like I said, I rest my case.

12. matt wade

LOL, you can rest your case all you want, but you've not provided a single fact that will help you obtain a verdict in your favor.

13. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to answer this one last statement of yours: One can't get drunk without taking the first drink. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. What Paul told Timothy was for medicinal purposes and you are suggesting something to the meaning that he certainly did not think would happen to his son in the faith.

Bye.

14. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would win with Texas courts...and every other state that has similar laws.

I asked you direct questions in my last post to you. Why did you not answer them?

Nonetheless, bye (on this subject).

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I am considerably older than you, and unlike you, I act my age.
    Please do not lie about what I said. My statement to you was in response to
    and nothing else. Shame on you! The Lord rebuke you!
    You haven't made a case. You have posted a lot of unsupported opinions with no factual basis.

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And one drink does not make one drunk. Just ask Paul. He didn't tell Timothy to get drunk, he said to take a little wine for his stomach's sake.

17. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is lying the usual part of your repertoire? If not, then prove your statement by quoting me that "Just wait till he starts telling you about how the demons have possessed just about every person he's ever come in contact with..."

I will try to remain polite with you: Either quote me directly or apologize. (Hint: that has never been my position).

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour. Exodus 20:16.

18. Calypsis4

Calypsis4 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To the other readers: what does spiritual warfare and demonic possession have to do with this subject to begin with,? Talk about 'off topic'!

Oh, but I forgot........(!).....those who drink wine/liquor are drinking of the 'spirits'. Example:

[​IMG]

(for a better veiw: http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-g...on-sign-of-spirits-and-wine-prague-prague.jpg)

Perhaps I inadvertently stirred up the 'spirits'. Ha, ha, ha, ha.Confused

• Like Like x 1
  19. matt wade

Anyone doing a search for posts by your handle here, or the same handle across the internet, can find multiple posts with your outlandish stories about demon possession. Obviously I utilized some hyperbole and exaggerated by saying "just about every person he's ever come in contact with" in order to make my point.

20. matt wade

It has to do with the legitimacy of anything you post. I see a post from you and it is instantly discredited, because your previous posts have proven you are off your rocker.