1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should A Seminary President

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Feb 23, 2006.

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should a president of a large evangelical seminary say that Calvinists have "have no place at" at the seminary "and never shall". Is this the kind of attitude a Southern Baptist Seminary president should have towards other Southern Baptists?

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

ok, I voted. Now, is there a reason you are asking?

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An SBC president should not take that attitude. Similarly, an SBC president should equally refrain from welcoming only Calvinists.

Now, as for other denominations which have clearly non-Calvinist statements of faith, then the sentiment may be acceptable.

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin,

I have to know if you are going to post a poll; who said it of the other 5 and where is there some documentation?

sdg!

rd

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I fear this is going to be an old quote from Paige Patterson. I just have a hunch.

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, why not? Of all the things SBC seminary presidents have said that statement seems harmless.

Consider the whole choosing not to have kids is a sin as just one example.

7. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin,

I for one am still waiting for an exact quote and bibliographic reference if you would please?!

sdg!

rd

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

That may be true, but my son frequently tells me about Calvinist/Arminian discussions among the students at SWBTS, so excluding profs (if they have) doesn't make much of a difference apparently

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If someone wants to follow Calvin and his teachings let them go to a Presbyterian seminary.

10. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

A seminary president has no business making a statement like that.

11. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Unless the seminary is called "Armenian Thelogical Seminary"...i see no rhyme or reason for that type of statement.

12. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Why must it be called Arminian Theological Seminary? Why not just Biblical Theological Seminary. There is an option!

If the man does not believe in Calvinism and he was elected as President, then of course he should speak his mind, then pack his bags. If they want to fire him, Adios Amigos.

13. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    bobby,

FYI, "Armenia" is a country. "Arminianism" is the doctrine.

sdg!

rd

14. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    gb93433,

You do understand, do you not, that the Soteriology known as Particular Redemption and also know as "The Doctrines of Grace" and also known as "Calvinism" were in our Baptist heritage? Do you not?

That makes your rhetorical statement you posted; "If someone wants to follow Calvin and his teachings let them go to a Presbyterian seminary" at the best a bit uninformed.

I really believe you know that Calvinism is in our past.

sdg!

rd

15. Broadus

Broadus Member

Well put.

Bill

16. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==It is not Patterson. I am not going to say who it was because that is not important. I am talking about the attitude. While I can respect that seminaries (etc) can have focus students (Calvinists, Arminians, etc) I think it is out of line for a school to say that Christians who disagree with the schools position on that issue "have no place" at that particular school. This school does, btw, have Calvinistic students I am sure of that. I don't know about most of their professors. The attitude is my concern.

Martin.

17. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

I really believe you know that Calvinism is in our past.

As well it should be! :rolleyes:

18. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

excuse the spelling era...it was typed before my coffee this morning.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Lots of ignorance is in the past as well. In McBeth's Sourcebook loads of it is documented.

Even in Calvin's Institutes he states that if taken too far there is a problem.

Calvinism is also in the future of the SBC among many who make excuses in their minds to not do evangelism. That is at an all time high. The leaders in the SBC know it too. I have dealt with loads of people who have fallen into that trap. They were once sharing their faith and stopped and then became frustrated.

20. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Please people,

It may not be written anywhere but if your a southern baptist with reformed or calvinistic leanings and your called into ministry your going to go to Southern before you would look at some other seminary.
    Also, I'm neither calvinistic nor an arminian. I just try to follow the Bible and from what I read free will and election are both in there.
    I will say this though. If the convention begins to drift away from the Bible being inerrant, infallible again I would put money on the calvinistic bros. to take a stand before the likes of Rick Warren or ED young Jr. or Andy Stanley or some of these other young bucks who really don't show much interest in standing up for the Bible as much as they do sipping Starbucks and being relevant.
    I'm not in the Reformers camp so to speak but I will give Reformed theologians credit for the fact that they are taking a stand for doctrine these days while the rest of evangelicals are melting a bag of ice on the beach.
    Evangelism , along with missions is drying up period. It doesn't have so much to do with being a calvinist.
    The big Mega Churches are growing at a all time rate in America. Yet the SBC along with other evangelical mission boards can't get missionaries to the field. The SBC has them standing in line. Ready to head out but can't afford to send out missionaries because the money is not coming in.
    There is to much money being spent to entertain and pacify bloated christians in this country instead of sacrifical giving being taught in order to fullfill the great commission.
    So the failure to evangelize falls at the feet of both the calvinist and the arminian along with those inbetween.
    The american church is obsessed with its own self.
    We are fading out just like England did when it comes to evangelism and missions.
    Watch and see.