1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should all archaic words have been left in text of KJV?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Logos1560, Apr 19, 2009.

1. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you invision this in practical terms Mr. Garvey? Are the individual believers supposed to on their own learn the meaning of the terms in context, is the church supposed to take the lead and teach vocabulary to the people or a combibation of both or something else?

What do you suggest I do personally? I'm not KJVO nor do I attend a KJVO church, but I do have and read the KJV although it is not my translation of choice.

So, please lay out a recovery plan for me to get on board with your "apt to teach" methods. I have a few dictionaries, lexicons and grammars, what I don't have is a method. this is where you can help.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

OK, I guess, but I don't live in the late 16th and early 17th centuries, and that is generally what is meant today, when I look up the word "unicorn".
    What happened to the aim of William Tyndale, who wanted to cause the "ploughboy" to be able to easily understand the Scriptures in everyday language? Incidentally, that specifically applies to me, as a farmer, although I do use a tractor instead of a span of horses, a team of mules, or a yoke of oxen to pull the plow, these days.
    Why should I even have to be concerned to find this out, to begin with? :confused: (Why would you consider that we even should have to consider this??)

Personally, I'm interested in the results of any translator efforts, and don't particularly care what they may happened to have been thinking.

Ed

#42 EdSutton, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
  3. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

It may be your references are somewhat limited.

4. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

How rude. exactly what I mentioned in my first post in this forum.

5. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

So practicality must maintain a contemporary usuage to be accepted?

Who "learns on their own"?

May I suggest you take an inventory of your learning experiences and then apply them to what you do not yet understand?

If the KJV is NOT your version of choice, then why do you even own one?

Whether some one is "KJVO" or no does not amount to anything here except it opens the floodgate of some of the most reprehensible behavior I have ever witnessed amongst proclaiming Christians against anyone who is deemed that dubious title.

Seems you're being a shade dishonest here, your "method' began when you opened any of the above.

6. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

So you believe the word of God is subject to perverse and corrupt redefinings of our words?
    Well, like any plowboy's mother, his aim is appreciated in the bathroom, otherwise you'd have to ask him personally. I am not much for speaking in the stead of the deceased, you?
    Oh, my! You decry the usage of a term and then define it as if you hadn't already known the meaning of that term!:jesus:

Nice, you take what I said to some one else and apply it to yourself. But thanks for expressing your not caring for what some else thought.:thumbs:

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

While your response to me is generally not worth my effort to respond, I do have 5 things to inject, considering the tenor of your own post.

(1.) I "decried" no usage of any term, that I recall, for the time it was used. BTW, nice effort in combining a part of two responses of mine to two different ideas into one, to effectively attempt to place words into my own mouth! :thumbs: :rolleyes:

(2.) I suggest your 'bathroom (off-color) humor' is entirely uncalled for :(, and I here request the Moderators to remove it from the post and thread. (Who was it that brought up "perverse and corrupt redefinings of words" here, anyway?)

(3.) This is an open debate forum. If one does not wish to receive responses, one need not post on a thread. I can assure you that that will work every single time.

(4.) FTR, I generally prefer two particular editions of the Bible as I have stated more than once, including on threads where I believe you have responded. Out of curiosity, did you even bother to read my post(s) to notice what they were?

(5.) Finally, I am happy to notice that you are not one to employ any use of sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Ed

8. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

yet you seem obliged to do so. Amusing

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I have never known Mr. Ed Sutton to be arrogant, unlike some more recent posters.

10. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Arrogant:1 : exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance often by an overbearing manner

This is usually typlified by the obsessive use of the pronoun "I" in any debate.

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

That is not the only symptom. It is also typified by the need to always have the last word.