1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should bankruptcy be an option?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by In His Grace, Jul 2, 2006.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I still think living beyond ones means is a form of glutny. It is like an over endulgance. I guess I'm the only one who sees it that way??? :confused:

2. Kris

Kris New Member

I agree. According to the bible, it's a form of glutony

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

LeBuick,

yes but living beyond one's means is not the only reason people claim bankruptcy. So we can't determine that someone has committed gluttony or theivery based on them going bankrupt.

4. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

Very true...and thank you. I was just in over my head after my son's emergency surgery and bill after bill piled up.

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Without looking back over the thread, I don't think anyone has said that it is even a sin, unless there's intent (and I added that possibly neglect could make it sinful).

But, to theft and gluttony, I would also add idolatry, because covetousness is idolatry.

But, it comes down to intent: Did you just have to have the new 50" plasma screen HD TV, or did you fall down and break your leg? Did you buy a new car every 2 years or did your child fall off a cliff?

6. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

I had purchased nothing new...no new car...nothing new. I was divorced...mother of 2 ....trying to make it on my own. The emergency surgery that my son was sent to Vanderbilt for was the beginning of my troubles....and I hate it. It's one area of the past I really hate to talk about....face....:praying:

Is it a sin? I don't know. I'm thinking that it is. In my heart it felt as though it was a sin at the time. Thankfully, Christ's blood covers my sins and it is something I won't do again.

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Based on what you've said, I would not judge it to be a sin itself.

But, as you've said, even if it is, you can be forgiven for it.

8. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Good discussions here.

An interesting web site that deals with issues such as these (and a whole lot more!) is

http://www.daveramsey.com

(Can't say that I agree 100% with everything he has to say.....more like about 90% [But judge for yourself].)

9. OrovilleTim

OrovilleTim New Member

I think people take advantage of it when they don't really need it. That sits with me about as well as cheating on your taxes (someone else carries their weight, while they benefit.)

But, I'm *very* anti-bankruptcy, and now even very anti-credit outside of financing your home. I'm a Dave Ramsey fan though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt (here is a video of Dave on bankruptcy: http://treyjackson.typepad.com/junction/files/ramsey.wmv.)

Tim

10. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

I've seen Dave Ramsey in Memphis and been through his financial peace program. It's a great program.:praise:

Sometimes, one rough spot can make for a disaster. As I've said, God and a few very close friends got me through bankruptcy.
    :Fish:

#30 lgpruitt, Jul 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2006
  11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

No, I thought we had already established valid reason for going bankrupt, I was just referring to the ones who who go for other reasons. Sorry, I should have stated that.

12. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Re: General info

Personal debt was forgiven once every 49 sabaths or 49 years called the year Jubilee. While the land and the crops were to lie bare one year out of every 7 this option was not given to land owner. Also this did not apply to homes that were sold within a walled city but only those homes and properties that were in outlieing (unwalled) areas. A land owner could do four things to eliviate debt.

Ask a relative to redeem his debt. Lev 25:25

Lease his property to another for an established price depending on the amount of years remaining before Jubilee. Lev 25:27-28

He could ask the one he owed to have the debt forgiven Lev 25:35

He could hire himself out to another and work his land and the others land until Jubilee. Lev 25:40

In a Bankruptcy you are merely asking for those whom you owe the debt, to forgive the debt, it is accepted when they do not contest that it is an offer of their forgiveness of the debt. Therefore in my opinion bankruptcy can be entered into providing one has used every means at their disposal to make amends with their creditors.

thjplgvp

13. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

AVL1984... Boy can I ever relate!!!

(wait! you and me, agreeing on something!?!?!?! :eek: :smilewinkgrin: :tongue3: )

I was working away in 2002, job came to an end... collected unemployment until that ran out... struggled along... until 2004.. when I filed for Backruptcy Chapter 7. Lost my truck.. and alot of pride. I learned my lesson... $18.000 of debt is alot when there's ZERO money coming in. I bought my truck and no sooner than I get it, they start talking lay off's at the job. Oh wonderful! I should have done it alot sooner in life. Was I abusing the system? Judge didn't think so, neither did my lawyer. it was rough there for a while. But it's all behind me now. I will NEVER, EVER own another Credit Card, as long as I LIVE! EVER! Debit card, or cash only babe! the ONLY way to fly for me!

-WTD

P.S. Debit card takes money right straight from the checking.. if you over draw that...you're outta money... no interest! it's nice... :D

#33 TheWinDork, Jul 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2006