1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Baptist School Library's stock Harry Potter books?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Ben W, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Convicted by the Spirit

I pesonally think that the Harry Potter's books are bad for children because of obvious reasons. But ... we need to teach our children to read books from an observation perspective. My college has us read books which are "christian" but from terrible Christian theolgoy to have us develop a mind set that applies the scriptures so that we are transformed at the mind and not just accepting everything that comes along. Honestly there are a lot of secular books that could show us some or a lot of God's character, but Harry Potter is not one of those.

2. Mercury

Mercury New Member

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Pullman really does have an axe to grind against God and Christianity. It gets pretty obvious when God shows up in his books as a senile old man who is soon put out of his misery. I'm surprised that series did not raise much of an outcry while Harry Potter did.

I'm glad public libraries stock the books, though, so I could read them without buying them.

3. mioque

mioque New Member

"I'm surprised that series did not raise much of an outcry while Harry Potter did."
    "
    Ofcourse it didn't. It simply isn't popular enough (yet) to create a sustainable market for:"His dark Materials are evulll!!!(TM)" books to parasitice on Pullman's success.
    All those anti-Harry potter books aren't there because Harry is the most evil thing out there. They are there because the target they are attacking is large enough to allow a profit to be made by writing books denouncing it.

4. Mercury

Mercury New Member

Good point. I guess the up side of it is that controversy tends to increase publicity, and so while some Christian groups have helped to fuel the popularity of Harry Potter, the lack of protests about "His Dark Materials" means we haven't significantly aided that series' success.