1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Charles Stanley Lead A Church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by luke1616, Jan 30, 2011.

?

Should Stanley Lead a Church?

Poll closed Feb 13, 2011.
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. It's up to the people who attend

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I don't care either way

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  5. Not for me to judge

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. I wouldn't attend

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The rumor I heard from some missionary friends of mine was the Charles did not place a priority on his wife. He chose his ministry over her needs or desires. Which caused them to grow apart. Thats not to say his wife didn't play a role but there were some issues regarding priorities.

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife used to have a lot of Celtic Thunder and Celtic Woman dvd's.
    I particularly like the Celtic woman one.

3. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quantumfaith, I'm with you. However, that is not my choice of music while driving for any distance. I have to stick with the good ole rock and roll. I can't tell you the number of times I've been persecuted by Christians for listening to "new age" music. Though I often term it progressive Jazz. Good stuff to let the imagination fly and to relax to. I personally enjoy Clannad and sing to my self though I don't know gaelic I sing the words Loudly anyway. Back in the day I also liked Mary Black. Probably don't know her but she was and Irish singer that I enjoyed while "over there".

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That right there should stop this thread in its tracks. I'll mention my former point...I doubt anyone on this board has first hand knowledge of what actually happened and the circumstances around it. All discussion then is based on rumor and innuendo, neither of which should exist in a Gospel centered ministry.

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we need to stop the speculation regarding the Stanley's marriage.

In my experience as someone in ministry who went through the trauma of divorce, I know firsthand that outright speculation regarding the reasons for the failure of a marriage are almost 100% incorrect, even if they seem to make sense from the outside and would explain both partner's actions.

I don't know how many times I was confronted, allegedly "according to Matthew 18", about being unfaithful to my wife by well-meaning seminarians and church members when I wasn't unfaithful to my wife at all (it was actually the other way around, although I didn't advertise it). These well-meaning people talked about how I needed to break up with my "girlfriend on the side" when such a person never existed. When I told them that I wasn't seeing anyone else (the last thing I wanted in my life at the time was another woman), they accused me of dishonesty. They couldn't even name an alleged girlfriend, only that they "had heard" I was being unfaithful.

I was so irritated by the situation, I didn't darken the door of a church for over a year because I was so sick of being beaten by lies and gossip in the midst of the rest of my lift falling apart.

FULL DISCLOSURE:
    I benefited from Charles Stanley's ministry (books and radio) in the mid-1980s, although I differ from him in a number of ways. I do not hold currently hold him in high esteem, and believe he should have stepped down from his pastoral role because of his previous promise to do so and his personal need for healing and refocus.

6. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are absolutely right. However, we do know its percistance in the body of the very first believers. So, it should also be expected.

7. RevGKG

RevGKG Member

“He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.”

“Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.”

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If what was reported to be true concerning his divorce, I believe he is scripturaly allowed to be an elder.

Now...if he said he would step down if there were a divorce, that muddies the water a bit. I can understand if he said this not knowing or understanding the requirements for being an elder, but as one already I don't know how that could be possible.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think you misunderstand the point of this thread. This is a spinoff on whether Ted Haggard should be allowed to pastor after his recent admission of being bi-sexual. Someone mentiond Stanley, and hence here we are.

10. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

:thumbs: That is correct sir.:thumbs:

11. RevGKG

RevGKG Member

No, not when the tone of some posts seem to be standing in judgment.

12. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

The "tone" of the posts have nothing to do with the "tone" of the thread question. There is "tone" everywhere on this board, and judgmental at that.

13. RevGKG

RevGKG Member

And you say I don't understand...........

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

To answer that question then you should ask him first.

15. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Jaigner...

Now your talking. Particularly Haggard. The Hag rules.

16. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Getting here late but i just gotta ask. Can anyone tell me where the scripture says that divorce is ok?................................. Thus, there can not be a biblical divorce but I do read where divorce is addressed quickly in the scripture but it doesn't say anything good about it.

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

John, I doubt if anybody will argue that divorce is okay (although dumping an abusive husband might have some positives to it). It is not the biblical ideal. The question here is whether or not a divorce disqualifies one from the pastorate--Dr. Stanley in particular.