1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians be boxers?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by OCC, Jul 16, 2005.

1. OCC

OCC Guest

One more thing...you people are just trying to draw me into an America? war...not gonna happen. You should be ashamed of yourselves and I am done with this thread.

2. JamesBell

JamesBell New Member

First, the draft is not an attempt by communists to force anyone to fight an unjust war. You must not understand what communism is, especially if you can try to attach that tag to the current administration.

Second, the federal government has the primary responsibility of protecting the United States. They are not supposed to ask our opinion of what is a threat, they are there to deal with the threat. To ensure that enough people are present, the draft can be used. In my opinion, anyone that will not answer the call in a time of need is a coward at best. The traitor that refuses to stand against the enemy loses all right to claim to be a citizen of our land.

More importantly, there is no draft. There will not be a draft. The left's attempt to scare youth with the talk of a draft is nohing more than a lie. Anyone saying that there will be a draft should be ashamed and repentant for their behavior.

3. OCC

OCC Guest

Not attempting to attach any tag to the current administration. We are dealing in concepts here. Some, as yourself, advocate that one HAS to serve in the military IF there IS a draft. You even slander them by calling them cowards if they don't. My take is their allegiance is to Jesus Christ first.

I understand what communism is and I understand what a dictatorship is. Any government who tries to enforce a draft would be communist and ruling by dictatorship.

"The 'traitor' that refuses to stand against the enemy..."? Would that be the person with different values than yourself, one who may be a Christian and who's allegiance is to Christ and not to any country? Yes, you are right...it IS "your opinion".

By the way...what about those traitors who rebelled against Britain to start their own country? Only a hypocrite would support that, yet label someone else a "traitor"...in my "opinion" of course.

But that is niether here nor there. I am done with this thread. It was supposed to be about boxing.

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I understand what communism is and I understand what a dictatorship is. Any government who tries to enforce a draft would be communist and ruling by dictatorship.

This comment demonstrates that you do not understand either communism or a dictatorship.

"It was supposed to be about boxing."

Indeed it WAS supposed to be about boxing. And we shot that concept down too didn't we?

:D [​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim

5. OCC

OCC Guest

I disagree on both points. tip for ya...pride cometh before a fall

6. ChurchBoy

ChurchBoy New Member

No disrespect to Evander Holyfield but if he is a Christian, he's not giving a good example of one. He has been married four times has nine children of which five were born out of wedlock. These five illegitimate children have four different mothers! :(

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I will not cheer for Chipper Jones because of his sexual indiscretions and divorce. Kobe Bryant has destroyed his testimony as far as I'm concerned!

It really bothers me when 'christian' superstars sin and 'get away with it'. Whatever are they teaching the children who want to grow up to be 'just like them'.

8. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    KJ writes:
    Not attempting to attach any tag to the current administration. We are dealing in concepts here. Some, as yourself, advocate that one HAS to serve in the military IF there IS a draft. You even slander them by calling them cowards if they don't. My take is their allegiance is to Jesus Christ first.
    -------------------------------
    KJ,
    You are correct. From the first world war right on thru this current one, there are many, mainly Christians, who have taken the view that they could not conscientously fight in a war. Many have become some of the most valued, decorated, and revered of our military. They are called Army and Navy Corpmen.

9. OCC

OCC Guest

rivers...that is good that they are corpmen. That is excellent. I don't believe however, that the government has any right to force someone to join the military in any capacity.

10. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

That is what I am talking about. This WAS about boxing and then you made a strong left turn right into the *legalities of war*, whatever that really means.

Draw YOU into a war? No we were talking about boxing and you draw us into this conversation. That is called baiting Brother James (KJ).

There is no draft. There will not be a draft for some time from now, if ever. We are actually letting people out of the military early. So if that is not a big enough indication that we do not need nearly as many personnel as we have currently, I dont know what to tell you.

But my opinion is this: IF (Big IF) there is a draft and someone decides not to participate, there is a thing called conscientious objection.
    The reasons for refusing to serve are varied. Many conscientious objectors are so for religious reasons — notably, the Quakers are pacifist by doctrine and Jehovah's Witnesses, who, while not strictly speaking pacifists, refuse to participate in the armed services on the grounds that they believe Christians should be neutral in worldly conflicts. Other objections can stem from a deep sense of responsibility toward humanity as a whole, or from simple denial that any government should have that kind of moral authority.

So, if you are serious, so is the government and if you cannot come up with a compelling arguement for your case, there is alternative service (working in the VA, Educating members of the military, Healthcare).

Everyone in uniform respects that - if only for the reason we are glad you came to your senses and spoke your heart. We dont like to have to do our job with someone on our team who isnt sure.

If you run away without asking for objector status, then you ARE a coward.

At some point, if we really are in this for Civilization, then even those men who would not normally fight are going to have defend themselves or die. Very fatalistic view, but it could happen. I pray it doesnt.

So tell me again what part of our federal defense system you do not understand? [​IMG]

11. Victory in Jesus

Victory in Jesus New Member

...So, no one's heard of Gorgeous George Grant, huh?

12. Servent

Servent Member

Who say's they will get away with it. To whom much is given, much is required.

13. OCC

OCC Guest

"If you run away without asking for objector status, then you ARE a coward."

That's your opinion. I guess I can say if you attempt to force another to serve you are nothing more than a dictator and a warmonger.

"So tell me again what part of our federal defense system you do not understand?"

Probably just the hypocrisy part where you claim to be a free country yet try to bully and intimidate people into becoming canon fodder for the rich politicians.

Um...I first mentioned war, etc. because it is a valid point. Anyone who supports a war certainly cannot oppose boxing. That is the only intention for bringing up war. You people could have refuted my point (but you can't) and went back to the topic at hand. You didn't. You tried to make little jabs at me (such humility) and in the process your hypocrisy and war mongering fanaticism was exposed. You are excused from class now.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Hmmm. I enjoy kickboxing--but my dh knows to say out of my way when I am working out! lol

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Who say's they will get away with it. To whom much is given, much is required. </font>[/QUOTE]WE let them get away with it! Children can't see into eternity but when a player uses drugs, has affairs, children out of wedlock and multiple divorces and Mom and Dad sit screaming their name, cheering for them, what's a kid to think?

I wonder how many of our members watch The Ellen DeGeneras Show or Will and Grace, laughing at homosexual innuendo while their 6 year old watches with them?

16. OCC

OCC Guest

"I wonder how many of our members watch The Ellen DeGeneras Show or Will and Grace, laughing at homosexual innuendo while their 6 year old watches with them?"

I'd like to say those self righteous people who judge others for what they like but...they probably don't even have a television. [​IMG]

17. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

It is Scripturally indefensible for a christian to participate in or support boxing.

That IS what this thread is about isn't it?

So...for they who will defend it, please provide Scripture.

In HIS service;
    Jim

18. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

There was a professional wrestler named "Gorgeous George" (last name Wagner) Photos and Bio HERE

There was another wrestler names Gorgeous George, Jr.

Apparently, another wrestler in the 70's, Gorgeous George Grant was a knockoff name to cash in on the popularity of the legendary Gorgeous George Wagner from the 50's and 60's.

Article by "Gorgeous" George Grant HERE

Didn't find anything about a boxer by that name.

19. OCC

OCC Guest

Jim, provide Scripture that is against boxing. The one referring to "no striker" has to do with a pastor/bishop sort of man. If you take that and apply it to every instance you cannot spank your child and you cannot engage in nor promote a war. Good day SIR. [​IMG]