1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians emulate Jesus in every respect???

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Greektim, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a corresponding question (of course), but I am interested to hear your responses first.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's the sermon on the mount say pastor?

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    isn't that the Will of the Father, that we reflect Jesus in our lives more each day, confirming our thoughts and deeds to His own in the scriptures?

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Per the OP, yes...particularly the turning water into wine business. :)

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be a profitable business!

We are all part of the body of Christ - together we emulate him - separate from you and others I'm just a sore thumb.

Rob

6. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    In every way or practice we emulate Jesus??? What he did, we should strive to do? etc...

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to be more specific. What do you mean "in every way?" His celibacy, His reception of worship, His poverty?

Or do you mean His character?

8. Ryan.Samples

Ryan.Samples New Member

Depends on where you are going with this thread. I might respond "Of course not" because none of us can strive to die for the sins of other men. We cannot do everything Jesus did, at least in that manner.

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The answer is found in Law keeping.That is why God puts the law in our hearts. All ten commandments.....Love is the fulfilling of the law.Every correct action in the christian life has to do with doing God's will which is expressed in covenant law keeping.

10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

11 And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

13 Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering and wantonness, not in strife and envying.

14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

10. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul said, "Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ" (1 Corinthians 11:1). Paul imitated (emulated, if you will) Christ in those areas in which it would be lawful to imitate Christ.

11. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Should we then celebrate Hannukah as it appears Jesus did? (cf. John 10:22ff.)

12. thisnumbersdisconnected

It doesn't say He celebrated it, just that He was in Jerusalem at the time of the feast.

13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have an Channukah celebration coming up in a week or so at our church for believers of Jewish background.

To emulate Christ in my mind means to be have the same mind, to be like-minded.

It doesn't mean to wear robes - it means to dress modestly.
    It doesn't mean to be crucified on a cross - it means to crucify my self interests daily.
    It doesn't mean to eat with tax-collectors - it means to value the lives of sinful people and bring them to redemption.

Rob

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, for Jesus was stuill under the Old Covenant with God while on earth, as was His Apostles, so they would have kept what was customary and expected by the Law, but we are now under the Grace of the New Covenant...

So would say Obey the Bible and the Holy Spirit promptings/convictions, and will be "emulating Christ!"