1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians Own Guns????

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Please read my story and tell me at the end whether or not a gun was good in this situation.

This happened to my grandparents in 1977.

My grandpa served in the Army's Military Police during WWII. He was also an Expert Rifleman, commonly called a sharpshooter. He owned an old .22 rifle. My grandmother did not like having a gun in the house, so she hid the bullets to prevent any accidental shootings from taking place. My cousin Sylvia and her husband Travis had just had a little baby girl. They were also in the process of moving back to her home town from Houston. Travis had left the morning of this incident to take a load of belongings to their new home. My aunt, who was still living at home, was out for the evening. My grandfather was 5'6" and weighed about 120lbs.

My grandparents had lived in their home for about 25 years prior to this without incident. It was a good middle-class neighborhood on the outskirts of the Houston city limits.

This story occurs with my grandparents, cousin Sylvia, and her baby girl all in the house at night. I believe it was about 2am when this occured.

A man, who was a football player at the University of Houston, was in an argument with a waitress at a local bar during the evening. He followed her home, or so he thought. The waitress was a neighbor who lived three houses down from my grandparents, and she drove a similar car to theirs. This man came banging on my grandparents' door early in the morning looking for this waitress. Of course, he was at the wrong house. My grandfather came to the door and told him he was at the wrong house, but the large, drunk football player wouldn't have it. He "knew" he was at the right place. My grandparents went to call for the police, but the phone was dead. My grandmother told me this was the only time she can ever remember that their phone had been out of order. My cousin Sylvia, leaving her daughter asleep in her room, went though the backyeard and hopped the fence to call for help from the neighbors house.

In the meantime, my grandmother and gone and brought my grandfather's .22 to him, and also the bullets, after having to hunt for them. They stood in their dining room, just off the living room, yelling at the man to go away and leave them alone. My grandfather told the man that he had a gun and he would shoot him if he came in the door. The man just kept up has rants, screaming and cursing at my grandparents to let him in. Finally, the man kicked the door down. Yes, he literally kicked the door and it flew off the hinges...he was a big guy!

He walked in and my grandpa told him to stop. The man walked towards them and my grandpa fired the gun at him, all the while my grandma screaming "Shoot, Willis, shoot!" He shot him twice in the chest, one of which went through him and embedded in the living room wall. The man then cussed him again and walked out to his car. He dug through his car, we don't know what for...perhaps looking for his own gun. He then came back up, laid across the hood of my grandparents' car, and waited until the police/paramedics arrived.

The man didn't die, but he very well could have. My grandpa was very shaky and shocked over this incident. He was afraid he had killed the man, but at the same time he was relieved his family wan't hurt.

Now, I firmly believe that, had my grandparents not had a gun in the house, the man would have broken in their door and possibly beaten and/or killed my grandparents.

Was it worth it to have a gun in this instance? YES.

Did God protect my family? YES.

Would God have stopped this man if my grandparents had not had a gun? WHO KNOWS?

I own a shotgun and my brother owns the same .22 rifle that my grandpa used to shoot that man.

One who would not take the same steps by shooting this man, given the same circumstances, to protect their family does not deserve the right to have a family.

God gave us common sense. I do not tempt God to protect me by stepping out in front of a speeding car, even though He could protect me from it. In the same token, I will use the knowledge of firearms and technology that God has blessed humans with to protect my family, if the need arises.

I probably would have regrets and remorse over shooting someone, even for this cause. But I would in noway second guess that decision before, during, or after the event.

If someone has the intent to hurt me or my family, then I will use my God-given RIGHT TO LIFE and defend myself and my family.

If you own a gun, know how and when to use it. Keep it in a place where it is easily accessible to you, but not your children. If someone is threatening your life or your family, you better defend them, or else God just might decide to take them away from you.

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I know my wife would be like your Grandma and hollow shoot him PaPa, for thats what I am known as. His real problem would be if he got by me and had to deal with her. She has a pistol, a stun gun, pepper spray and Lord knows what else. I fear for my life sometimes when I get home late. :)

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Where as, if I'd been grandma, I'd have loaded the gun and shot him myself! Rather, the gun would have already been loaded and whoever got to it first would have done the shootin'.

My personal belief is that guns can be a useful tool. It is part, just part of our home security system. But let me tell you, if some drughead gets past the dogs at the front and back door, continues in spite of the security system and threatens my children, I'm going for bear! I am not going to feel guilty for the bad choices made by another individual.

If they die as a result and split hell wide open, it won't be my fault because I shot them, it'll be their own fault cause they rejected Christ as shown by thier actions.

I agree, however, not all folks are cut out for responsible gun ownership. There are those that are frightened by the gun itself. Not good. There are those that are to lazy to use proper precautions when owning a gun. Not good. But for those of us who are willing to be responsible the gun is just another bit of technology that God has allowed us. And it can be a good thing.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I always would rather have a woman be my hero. You watch all the movies and see who saves the day. Men always get themselves killed or get you killed but the woman always wins. I will grab a woman and hold her in front of me every time if someone pulls a gun on me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. menageriekeeper

In that case, I might just shoot you too! ;) :laugh: :laugh:

(yellow bellied stinking coward cant load his own gun......:D )

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

NO, NO You going to be my Hero!! :laugh:

#106 Brother Bob, Aug 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2006
  7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

You really didn't write this did you?

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

weak moment.:)

menageriekeeper going to shoot me anyway! :)

9. menageriekeeper

El_Guero, you implying women don't make good heros? :mad:

Just wait till I get you in my sights! ;) :p

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Just don't miss, 'cause my heroine :love2: would kill anyone trying to kill her baby . . .

And since she stood up to a Grizzly . . . I know she would pull the trigger . . .

:praying:

Prayin' fer ya'!

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Ya' need a heroine . . .

;)

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Preferably one with body armor . . . and maybe even an armored car fer the getaway . . .

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am what is known in the real world as a "goner"!
    And now I will have some company on the downward road.
    with a pistol packin mama blowing the smoke from the end of a pistol.

I may have to position you between me and her though. One of us has to live to tell the story.

#113 Brother Bob, Aug 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2006
  14. menageriekeeper

Hey El_G, I think Brother Bob is putting you in danger! :laugh:

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brother Bob,

You would be the first . . . to best one of the family . . .

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I don't . . . know that I have ever been in danger.

This could be a first . . .

;)

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Maybe you could "outdraw her", and save us both? :laugh:

18. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brother Bob

Only 'slap leather' when ya' gotta . . .

. . . and when ya' gotta, ya' gotta . . .

Come to think of it, grand daddy teaching me how - was one of my first memories of him . . . that and him preaching 'hell fire and brimestone'. He always could shoot straight . . .

;)

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I tell you EL_G;

Women will win one way or the other. You see, its goes all the way back to the beginning and ever since men have went around pounding theirselves on the chest saying they are the boss when in fact they everyone have a ring in their nose and do exactly what they are told. I know this for a fact. Tell you what I did. I publish a Song Book and in the last pages I put in "wedding vows" of my own. I removed the words "obey" because I don't think its right to ask someone to lie when I know they are not going to obey. :laugh:

Best thing for both of us it to ask for mercy from menageriekeeper before its too late! :laugh:

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Bob,

Ya' keep trying to get me in your squabble . . . like this is the ok corral or something . . .

I ain't like a woman and we ain't going to the powder room.

But, from a man that knows - keep your powder dry - she is gonna get you.

We will miss you and eulogize you regularly for an hour or two . . .

:wavey: