1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians play sports?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by timothy 1769, May 30, 2004.

1. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

The context of that verse has nothing to do with any kind of sports. Just read Luke 22. </font>[/QUOTE]Mr 9:33-34
    And he came to Capernaum: and being in the house he asked them, What was it that ye disputed among yourselves by the way?
    But they held their peace: for by the way they had disputed among themselves, who should be the greatest.

What the disciples were ashamed even to admit, we make a public spectacle and even claim it as a Christian activity fostering Christian values!

Mr 9:35
    And he sat down, and called the twelve, and saith unto them, If any man desire to be first, the same shall be last of all, and servant of all.

2. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

The Amish utilize gas from oil coming from the Middle East. They support Islam indirectly too.</font>[/QUOTE]OK, I don't know of any scriptures that teach one shouldn't purchase items from unsaved people, idolators, etc.

3. onestand

onestand New Member

tim,

your a tad confused what true doctrine of Christ is. everything we do including sports we should do to the best of our ability. i'm sorry but you have yet to make a valid sciptural point to back up your belief in this area.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Tim

Perhaps the problem is that you think sports are about strife and vainglory. I am sorry that your background included that and that you were unable to handle it with a proper attitude. I have a friend who had to quit playing basketball because he could not control his temper. But realize that to most of us, sports has nothing to do with strife or vainglory. It is about somethign totally different, something completely in line with God's word.

Do what you need to do to protect your own spiritual life. But don't force that on the rest of us who can participate in sports without the slightest strife or vainglory.

5. shane usry

shane usry New Member

Timothy, while you're in the mood to accuse others of sin for playing sports, you need to repent yourself for being a VERY POOR steward of the time God has given you. I had to skip from page one to this page because it was a waste of the time God has given me to continue to read this garbage! I'm done. I think I'll go play a round of golf with my wife! Shane

6. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Is dueling banjos a sport? If so, should Christians play only if they play "fair"?
    Last page of posts seem pretty "sporty" to me.
    Oops, I guess all sports aren't physical after all! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: