1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians STRONGLY support the 2ND AMENDMENT?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Are you saying you would not use a weapon to defend yourself or your family against someone who intended to harm them? </font>[/QUOTE]I know you are asking SFIC, but I would like to respond to this as well.

Since I don't have a weapon, I am not in a position to make that choice. Would I hit an intruder over the head with a vase (if I had one)? Maybe - I'm not too strong and it might just make him mad enough to hit me harder or kill me.

I've lived as a single mother since my son was less than 8 yrs. old. I have only been protected by the Lord and a locked door. I didn't take time to think about what I would do if someone tried to come in other than call 911 as I don't have the physical skills required to fight a man (or even a strong woman) and I don't have a weapon. So I just put myself in the Lord's hands and pray for protection.

2. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

It probably will be allowed. Many Christians I know have been robbed and beaten. If you choose to depend on the Lord, do you lock your doors, carry insurance on your home, tell any children who may visit to leave gas or electric appliances or outlets alone,....? or just hope He won't allow anything nasty to happen? </font>[/QUOTE]This argumentative and critical post offends me. StandingFirminChrist stated a conviction that is consistent with scripture. It is not your place to judge that conviction or imply that it demands that he apply it to other areas of his life that do not involve force/violence against another human. That's between him and God and is absolutely none of your business. I don't share his conviction, either, but I admire it and I will defend his right to hold it. Do you not agree?

3. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

Are you saying you would not use a weapon to defend yourself or your family against someone who intended to harm them? </font>[/QUOTE]I know you are asking SFIC, but I would like to respond to this as well.

Since I don't have a weapon, I am not in a position to make that choice. Would I hit an intruder over the head with a vase (if I had one)? Maybe - I'm not too strong and it might just make him mad enough to hit me harder or kill me.

I've lived as a single mother since my son was less than 8 yrs. old. I have only been protected by the Lord and a locked door. I didn't take time to think about what I would do if someone tried to come in other than call 911 as I don't have the physical skills required to fight a man (or even a strong woman) and I don't have a weapon. So I just put myself in the Lord's hands and pray for protection.
    </font>[/QUOTE]My question is one of principle and not pragmatism.

SFIC is apparently convicted that violence against another person, even in self-defense, is wrong for him. You put yourself in the Lord's hands as a last resort. SFIC does it in response to what he feels is God's will for him.

I just wish I could be around if and when either of you gets attacked. I would not hesitate to defend you with the minimum force necessary to stop the perpetrator.

4. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

RayMarshall19,
    I really appreciate your posts on the ideology of the founders. That is excellent information. It should stop the "naysayers" who continually assert government militia only in regard to the 2nd Amendment. I would like to know if you are aware of the writings and standing of Isaac Bachus? He had alot to say about the doctrine of the civil magistrate (and it is not what is held by most folks here on the board).
    Thanks -----Bart
    ....the dueling society was a polite society.

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Since God was very active in guiding the Founding Fathers, and since we are the most blessed nation in history (not earned, thats for sure), it is not only our right, but our duty to defend the 2nd Amendment. If we as citizens don't protect it, who will? The government??????????????.

6. bgoc bryan

bgoc bryan New Member

7. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Why do you think God was very active in guiding our Founding Fathers? There is only one favored nation and that is Israel. Since our FF set up our government why do you ultimately trust them and mistrust subsequent administrations?

We ARE losing constitutional rights today under the current administration (not the right to own guns) but nobody seems to care. If nobody cares about such important rights as the right to privacy and habeus corpus why should anyone care about the 2nd amendment.

I'd rather not be thrown into jail without recourse to a lawyer and without being charged or having a trial than to own a gun. The Patriot Act gave this right to the government and it has been used on American citizens suspected of terrorism. Except sometimes they make a mistake and jail people for years for doing nothing.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.

9. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

That should tell the readers who don't know you a lot about your nature, Alcott. But people who know you personaly are probably already aware.

10. mozier

mozier New Member

In the end, a well-armed citizenry is what keeps the government honest and in line.

11. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Actually, I think it might be even more helpful if more than 55% of us vote.