1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians sue other Christians?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Anleifr, Jan 6, 2005.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Allright then, how do you go about dissolving those agencies. They were created according to state law, therefore they must dissolved the same way. And that involves a lawsuit.

While suing other Christians is distasteful, sometimes it is necessary.

2. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

The question is not whether it is distasteful, but, rather, whether it is Scriptural.

3. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Anleifr,

Haven't had time to answer you point by point but wondered first of all about this paragraph.

You wrote - "Now in terms of how church discipline should be carried out:

When a local association of local churches finds that one of its member churches is honoring immorality, those local churches break fellowship with that church. When a denominational body of believers finds that one of its member churches is honoring immorality, then those believers break fellowship with that church. This is appears to be the Scriptural method of discipline, the breaking of fellowship."

-----------------------------------------------
    In the case of the Missouri Baptist Convention who would we break fellowship with in the case of The Baptist Home?

Would we break fellowship with each church where a trustee holds membership?

Would we break fellowship with each church were Residents of the Baptist Home hold membership?

Would we break fellowship with each contributing church who donates mission dollars to the Baptist Home?

The only form of discipline available to the MBC in this case is legal in nature.

If you hold to your view that suing another Christian is not scriptural then you must also agree that incorporating a church or a nonprofit religious organization under the laws of a state is also unscriptural. If not then at the very least it would be unethical if you do not intend to abide by State Law which unfortunately includes prescribed legal processes for settling such disputes as the one we are discussing.

Interestingly enough the examples you present about Associations and State Conventions are written into their respective Constitutions and Bylaws which are regarded as legal and binding documents under the state law in the state where those said entities are incorporated.

It is my humble opinion we sacrificed the high Biblical Ground that you are alluding to years ago when the trend began to incorporate all Southern Baptist Churches and Agencies and Entities.

[ January 09, 2005, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Hardsheller ]

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anleifr, you're on the right track. What Jesus and Paul says is quite clear, with an emphasis on Christians choosing to be wronged rather than taking a chance on wronging others. Perhaps the answer is that if entering into certain agreements, contracts, and/or legal status makes obeying this scriptural principle impossible, we should not enter into them.

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I can agree with both of these comments. I believe this is why it is so distasteful to drag church matters into the public view. We should be above reproach.

However, since we have allowed the govenment into our churches business, we now have to allow them into our disputes. The mistake was made a long time ago, now we must deal with the consequences.

Do you think the Missouri folk should quote Matt 5:40 and let the matter go? Interesting idea.

6. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I just wonder what all you folks think the MBC should do...I mean, there are many that would condemn the MBC for its actions - while offering no real solutions.

Are there any who would hold the 5 rebellious agencies to task? Or should they just "get away with it" in the name of peace - to do with these godly institutions as they see fit?

7. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Part of the problem goes back in Baptist History to the founding of schools, publishing houses, benevolent organizations and missionary societies - The good organizations that we have created have become more like their secular counterparts than they are like the church. In fact most of them are regulated by state and federal law.

Now we are faced with this dilemna.

How do two Christians or two different groups of Christians who are tied to one of these multi-million dollar religious or denominational organizations settle their differences?

We have no Baptist Bishop who can make a decision, like the Apostle Paul could have made.

All we have is the democratic process of a state convention meeting which is all bark and no bite until you hire a lawyer.

8. Anleifr

Anleifr New Member

Again, I do not think that when our options for a preferred outcome are lessened that we are only left with the option of disobeying Scriptural mandates, if that is in fact the case. It is difficult for me to answer the above questions because I am not that familiar with the MBC situation. Some of the above may be appropriate to the situation and some may not. I am less concerned with discussing the application of Biblical principles than with what the Biblical principle actually is. Your questions are definitely relevant; you appear to be presenting cases to test the relevancy of the application of church discipline, which is good. While these questions might or might not deny the relevancy of “breaking fellowship” as a form of church discipline, even if so it does not disqualify the assumed Scriptural prohibition against lawsuits among Christians.

Perhaps a better application of the above mentioned method would be to present cases to test the relevancy of my interpretation of the lawsuit prohibition. To some extent this has already been done.

It is quite probable that many Christian groups have worked their way into a corner where their options are so greatly decreased that they can only see lawsuits an appropriate action. It reminds me of the story of King David and his rape of Bathsheba. Now raping Bathsheba was wrong of course, but when Bathsheba became pregnant, instead of confessing his sins and repenting, he continued to dig himself a hole by trying to get Uriah to have relations with his wife at inappropriate times and then eventually murdering Uriah. It was only when he was convicted of his sin by the prophet Nathan that he began to right his wrongs. Basically what I am saying is that we do not right past wrongs by more wrongs, we only dig our graves deeper.

I think we can hold to state laws as far as Scriptural principles are not violated. I am a bit concerned at the logical extension of the argument that we have to obey state laws with concern to legal matters even when they contradict Scripture just because we are involved in legal matters. I know this is not what you are advocating though.

That may be the case. If so, we do not right ourselves by continuing to disobey the Scriptural mandates.

I do not think anyone here is condemning anyone else. If the MBC is in error about how they are handling the situation, then they certainly are not the first and won’t be the last. All of us everyday mishandle situations. The important thing is to learn from our errors and learn from Scripture and from God about how we can better handle such situations.

If these agencies are in the wrong then God will deal with them as He sees fit. We should never think that anyone ever “gets away with it”. I have no problem with crying out like Job about the “wicked” (Job 21), but we all have to have faith that God will take care of the situation. Now this does not mean that those in the MBC shouldn’t do anything. Far from it! If you believe that you are in the right and need to do something, do it! My thoughts are not concerned about “what you do” not “that you do.”

But if they do “get away with it” because no lawsuit is applied then it will not be in the name of peace but rather in the name of Scripture.

One thing we have to be careful of is not blindly accepting the methods of a movement when we agree with the movement’s motives. Disagreeing with a movement’s methods does not mean we have to disagree with the movements motives. I am not saying that such is the case with the MBC situation but it is a stealth temptation in these times.

9. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I personally am not knowledgeable enough concerning the problems of the Missouri Baptist Convention and Southern Baptists in Missouri to comment on how I would apply this scriptural principle to their situation. I do know that I could not personally be a part or party to any lawsuits that religious schisms and division might cause. Perhaps that could mean getting out of the Convention. Many times we Baptists feel we have too much "invested" in such a work to leave it behind and would rather "fight than switch".