1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians support the death penalty?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by jdcanady, Apr 23, 2005.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

1Ti 1:12
    ¶ And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
    1Ti 1:13
    Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
    1Ti 1:14
    And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
    1Ti 1:15
    This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
    1Ti 1:16
    Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

"Howbeit for this cause". What cause? "Putting me into the ministry".
    Who is the pattern? Paul. What is it? "Believe on him to life everlsating"

Nothing here even remotely suggests letting killers escape their just punishment. And there is NO pattern for extending grace or mercy to killers. The pattern is to "Them who should believe". Grace and mercy for salvation, not for escaping what you have sown. You cannot escape the immutable law. Plant corn, you get corn.
    Just because I am saved, doesn't mean I escape the fruit of my actions. If I have lied, I must make it right. If I have stolen, I must return what I have stolen. If I have killed, I must pay with my life. It is not about mercy. It is about reaping what you have sown.

As for life in prison. You know very well that it does not happen as you would like. It is STILL a reward for killing. Even IF this nation would keep them imprisoned for their natural life (which they don't) you have still rewarded them for taking a life by GIVING them a life of leisure. That mindset is insane. Take a life and live a life of ease as punishment. Utterly insane.

You cannot escape this. No amount of dancing will excuse it. No amount of Scripture twisting will justify it. No amount of pontificating will allow it.
    God values human life so highly that He has declared that the man who takes a life should forfeit his own.
    Give him the benfit of clergy if he chooses and then execute him speedily to rid the land of his carcase.
    Only by swift and sure executions can you even hope to stem the tide of rampant lawlessness. It is because of the mindset of the "no death penalty" folks that they (killers) will not blink an eye when killing someone. They have no fear of retribution. I have even heard them in prison say this. When you have lived for 2 1/2 years in prison with these men (as I have), then come and talk to me about giving them the gospel. They have every opportunity to respond in prison. They don't. They wont. They mock it. Then they get paroled and kill again. And do you know what they have said? I have heard it with my own ears. "What can they do? They'll just lock me up. They can't kill me."

Your position sir, is untenable in light of reality. In light of Scripture. And in light of history. And in light of sanity.

In HIS service;
    Jim

2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The sentence structure of this verse shows us that the cause is:

"that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting."

The sentence structure of this passage show us that the pattern is:

"shew forth all longsuffering"

3. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

To Gold Dragon

Thank you for addressing the text in 1 Tim. Then context is clear if you don't bring preconceived options into it.

I agree we should err on the side of life. Killers who die in their sins have all eternity to suffer the punishment for their sins.

thanks for the post

4. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

To av1611jim

I dont' think you are reading this passage in the context that it was written. It is clear the "purpose" Paul is referring to is that he would be an example of the longsuffering Jesus displayed toward a murderer, the foremost of all sinners, and that example is directed to future Christians. We should have longsuffering and patience with such people, not put them to death as quickly as possible.

(you said)

"Nothing here even remotely suggests letting killers escape their just punishment."

I have not advocated letting killers go. I know you believe the only just punishment is their quick execution. We are going to disagree on that. We can punish someone by keeping them in prison for the rest of their lives. We will disagree on whether that is "reward" or punishment.

(you said)

"It is because of the mindset of the "no death penalty" folks that they (killers) will not blink an eye when killing someone." and "And do you know what they have said? I have heard it with my own ears. '"What can they do? They'll just lock me up. They can't kill me."'

I don't want to base my actions and beliefs on what murderers think of them. I want to base my actions and beliefs on what God has said in His Word.

(you said)

"Only by swift and sure executions can you even hope to stem the tide of rampant lawlessness."

I say that only by faithful proclamation of the gospel, swift and sure conversion by way of the Holy Spirit, and the clear teaching of scripture concerning godly living can we hope to stem the tide of rampant lawlessness. God can stop this lawlessness at anytime. Come Lord Jesus!!!

(you said)

"When you have lived for 2 1/2 years in prison with these men (as I have), then come and talk to me about giving them the gospel."

I don't have to spend 2 1/2 years in prison with murderers to know I should give them the gospel. I have been commanded by Christ to give them the gospel. That is the only thing I need.

I have great compassion for you and what you have lived through. Our response to our experiences reveal what is in our heart. I pray for grace, mercy, and peace for us all.

thanks for the post

5. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your view of Genesis 9 makes it say exactly the opposite of what it says. The fact that Numbers 35 is part of the law does not make it moot for us. Wrong again about David and Paul. David was the king - his word was law. He would have had to pronounce his onw death sentence, and what Paul did was not considered murder by the government of his day. It was, in fact, a sanctioned action. Even if these men should have been subject to the death penalty, the fact that the law of God was not carried out in those cases does not make it of no effect.

6. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

To PastorGreg

(you said)

"Your view of Genesis 9 makes it say exactly the opposite of what it says."

Once again, the context of Gen.9 is clear. God makes the distinction between and animals and men. Mankind is created is His image. Although the animals have now been given for food, humans are not to be killed because they are made in God's image. Can you agree with me that is the context?

I maintain that God's prohibition against killing people is based on their being made in His image. Can we agree on that?

God then makes the statement about requiring the blood of someone who kills a man. I understand you see that as instituting the death penalty for murder. I maintain the focus of the statement is to reinforce his prohibition against taking the life of a human being. We know it is not an absolute statement, because many have been murderers (Moses, David, Paul) and God did not require their lives in return.

God can take a person's life whenever He chooses. I maintain that God has never given Christians the command to take anyones life. We are to pursue people with the gospel and with grace.

I do not believe I am making Gen.9 say the opposite of what it means in context. On the contrary, those who maintain that it gives secular governments the power to impose the death penalty are reading for more into the passage than the text and context allow.

(You said)

"The fact that Numbers 35 is part of the law does not make it moot for us."

Are you maintaining we should live according to the Old Testament Laws of Israel?

(You said)

"Wrong again about David and Paul. David was the king - his word was law."

That is just not true. David was subject to the Law like everyone else. The prophet Nathan confronted David with his sin in 2 Samuel 12. Verse 13, "Then David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD. "And Nathan said to David, "The LORD also has taken away your sin; you shall not die." David was clearly in danger of being executed because of the murder, but God had mercy.

(You said)

"what Paul did was not considered murder by the government of his day."

It was certainly considered murder by God. Acts 8:1-3 "And Saul was in hearty agreement with putting him (Stephen) to death." Acts 9:1 "Now Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord..."

(You said)

"It was, in fact, a sanctioned action."

You scare me. Don't you realize you are defending the murder of Christians because a secular government sanctioned it? What about today? If China or Saudi Arabia kills Christians are we to support those death penalties because a secular government carried them out? What about the end times when Christians are rounded up and being put to death? Are you going to support those death penalties because a secular government imposes them?

7. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get real. I'm not sanctioning the murder of Christians. Read my post again. THe point is not to defend David and Paul. You brought them up as murderers who were not given the death penalty. I didn't say they weren't murderers. The point was that just because their particular govts. didn't execute them does not mean the death penalty no longer applies.

8. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

(You Said)
    OK, my point was not that governments didn't require their lives, but that God didn't require their lives. This demonstrates that Gen.9 is not an absolute assertion. That governments use the death penalty (or abuse) is not the point. The issue is whether Christians should support the death penalty. I maintain that God has nowhere commanded Christians to seek the death of anyone. In fact, I Tim.1:15-16 clearly indicates that Christians who are dealing with violent people, including murderers like Paul and those mentioned in v.9-10, should follow the example of Jesus in His dealings with Paul and show great patience and mercy. We pursue people with the gospel and love and mercy. It is unseemly for Christians to support the death of anyone.

Perhaps you would like to give your understanding of I Tim.1:15-16?

9. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is also the confusion between something having precedence and something being normative.

Just because there is precedence for capital punishment in the bible doesn't mean that this is a normative way for governments to exact justice.

The precedence in the NT church may have been lack of instruments in their worship, but that doesn't necessarily mean that is normative for modern churches.

10. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God commanded the death penalty for many things that we would not today - that sounds pretty normative to me.

11. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So are you saying we should bring back the death penalty for rebellious children, adultery, etc? That they are normative?

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I disagree that we lost our "Godlike image" when we were cast out of the garden. That image was effaced but not erased. In fact, long after the Garden, God still says that man is made in God's image:
    This certainly gives a strong indication that at that point, God still regarded man as being made in his image.

Jn. 8.44 does not say we are made in the image of Satan. That was a statement made to the Pharisees specifically, who did not believe Jesus and were trying to trick him.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I am not taking a stand here either for or against the death penalty, but I don't think this passage has anything to do with it, and if you want to oppose the death penalty with scripture, I don't think this passage helps you much.

Verses 12-17 are focusing on Christ as being the one through whom anyone can be saved. The focus is on the saving power of faith in Christ; there is nothing here about dealing with violent people but rather how how a hardened person such as Paul was can receive mercy, and that this was so he could be an example of patience "to those who were to believe in him for eternal life."
    While we should believe anyone can receive God's mercy, this does not mean we cannot also support the death penalty. I think it's a false dilemma to say that one excludes the other. When one commits a murder, knowing it is possible to receive the death penalty (depending on the state and the aggravating circumstances since special circumstances must exist for the state to ask for the death penalty), that person is acting knowing the possible consequences and is not ignorant of that. I don't think the call to mercy and patience in this passage is to be applied to the state to show mercy; it's to be applied to believers in our daily lives with others.

You apparently think this means we should oppose the death penalty, but I think that is just your application of it. That is not what the passage is about.

14. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

To Marcia

(You Said)

"Verses 12-17 are focusing on Christ as being the one through whom anyone can be saved. The focus is on the saving power of faith in Christ"

You have misread this passage. Because of this, everything you have said in support of your position cannot stand.

The focus of this passage is on the "enabling power" of Christ that strengthens faithful Christians for service. The entire first chapter of I Timothy is designed to strengthen Timothy's resolve to stay at Ephesus to confront false teachers (3-6). These false teachers were probably using the Jewish Old Testament (v.7-8) to undermine Timothy's teaching. Paul tells Timothy he (Paul) has been entrusted with the gospel, (v.1 & 11) and he is passing this trust on the Timothy (v. 18)

In v. 12 Paul begins a discourse on how Christ had enabled him to complete the task he had been assigned. Paul had suffered horrible opposition throughout his ministry. Timothy had been a constant companion and was well aware of what Paul had suffered. Jesus "strengthened" Paul because of his faithful service. (v.12) The "grace", "faith", and "love" he speaks of in v. 14 are the "how" Paul was "strengthened". This is not salvific grace, but enabling grace.

His reference to "mercy" in v.13 is something akin to "enabling" mercy. You can find a similar use in Hebrews chapter 4, where the author is speaking of Christians continuing strong in their faith until they enter into the rest of Jesus Christ. In v.16, "Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need." The time of need is the time of persecution when they were tempted to return to Judism for safety. Both "mercy" and "grace" are speaking of an enabling power, it "helps" them to continue strongly, not salvific because they were already believers. Paul is using the same usage in I Tim. 1:12-13. The word "unbelief" is a reference to the "untrustworthiness" he had exibited as a unbeliever and persecutor of the Chruch. He had acted in ignorance. Timothy could not use that excuse because he was a believer. Believers are "strengthened" when they are faithful (v.12). Timothy must be faithful to his task. If he is, he will receive the same type of "enabling" grace, faith, love.

In v.15-16, Paul tells Timothy the attitude he should have toward other people. He says Christ saved Him so that His (Christ's) example of patience with Paul would be demonstrated (taught) to all future Christians. He says in chapter 2, (v.1) "entreaties, prayers, petitions, and thanksgivings be made on behalf of all men, (v.3) this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth."

I believe support for the death penalty is in direct opposition to this passage. Putting someone to death is the eptiome of not having the same type of patience which Christ demonstrated with Paul. God desires all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. That possibility is forever cut off when someone is put to death.

thanks for the post

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

1Pe 2:13
    ¶ Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;
    1Pe 2:14
    Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.
    1Pe 2:15
    For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:

1Pe 4:15
    But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.

I believe jd has been put to silence. Only by spiritualizing Scripture and ignoring the plain teaching that God has endowed Governments with power to punish evil doers, can he make his case.
    Here we see Peter adminoshing Christians to submit to every ordinance of man. Historically, in EVERY society I know of, the death penalty has been the normal punishment for murderers ( among other crimes). Unless you want to change God's word, you MUST accept that the death penalty is of God.
    Evidently jd (and friends) wants to change God's word. [​IMG]

God has established death for killers. PERIOD.

In HIS service;
    Jim

16. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

To av1611jim

(you said)

"I believe jd has been put to silence. Only by spiritualizing Scripture and ignoring the plain teaching that God has endowed Governments with power to punish evil doers, can he make his case."

First of all. I have attempted to show you clearly the context of every scripture passage we have discussed. Once again, you misrepresent what I have said. I have not denied God has used secular governments to execute the death penalty. I have consistently said God has nowhere commanded that Christians should seek the death of anyone or support the death of anyone. I Pet is no exception to that.

(You said)
    Referring to I Pet. 2:13-15 and 4:15

"Here we see Peter adminoshing Christians to submit to every ordinance of man. Historically, in EVERY society I know of, the death penalty has been the normal punishment for murderers ( among other crimes). Unless you want to change God's word, you MUST accept that the death penalty is of God."

You are simply ignoring the context of I Pet. in order to try to make it say that Peter wanted Christians to support the death penalty. The context is the same as Paul's admonition in Rom. 13. Don't be in opposition to the government! Peter is saying here that if they are persecuted, let it be for doing good and not evil. chapter 1:12 "Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing which they slander you as evildoers, they may on account of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation." The believer's good deeds will be made manifest of the day of visitation (This could mean the Second Coming of Christ or, more likely, it means on the day the governor(v.14) of a province made the judicial rounds to hear criminal and civil cases). Because their good deeds are so evident to men, the ones who slandered them will have to admit they were wrong and praise God.

When Peter says in v. 15, "For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men." He is again saying that those who are making accusations against Christians will be seen as foolish in the day of judgement (by Christ or by the governor) because the Christians have given no cause for offense. They will receive praise instead.

This is the same context in Chapter 4:15, "By no means let any of you suffer as a murderer, or thief, or evildoer, or a troublesome medler; but if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not feel ashamed, but in that name let him glorify God."

Again, you are ignoring the context in an attempt to make scripture say something that it does not say. It does not say Christians should support the death penalty or seek the death of anyone. You are clearly reading that into the text!

Your statement that Christians MUST obey EVERY ordinance of the secular government is flatout wrong. We cannot, and should not, obey ordinances that violate scripture and/or conscience. Why are we opposing the abortion laws? They are the law of the land, but they violate conscience and scripture. We should attempt to change them, lawfully. The same is true of death penalty laws.

Peter did not obey the Sanhedrin when they ordered him not to speak the name of Jesus. Acts 5:27b-29, "And the high priest questioned them, saying, 'We gave you strict orders not to continue teaching in this name, and behold, you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.' But Peter and the apostles answered and said, 'We must obey God rather than men.'"

Hilter had a law that all Jews were to be killed in the gas chambers. By your statement, since Hitler was in charge of Germany, and this was a law of the secular government, Christians MUST obey it.

According to God's Word, Christians will suffer great persecution and even death during the "Last Days" before Christ returns. I fear we are putting into place the acceptance of the same death penalty that may very well be used against us during that time.

thanks for the post, and keep searching the scriptures.

17. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Your statement that Christians MUST obey EVERY ordinance of the secular government is flatout wrong. We cannot, and should not, obey ordinances that violate scripture and/or conscience. Why are we opposing the abortion laws? They are the law of the land, but they violate conscience and scripture. We should attempt to change them, lawfully. The same is true of death penalty laws.

No, it is not. God nowhere says to abort a baby, but He does say to kill the murderer.

Hilter had a law that all Jews were to be killed in the gas chambers. By your statement, since Hitler was in charge of Germany, and this was a law of the secular government, Christians MUST obey it.

No it is not. The Jews were guilty of no murder.

According to God's Word, Christians will suffer great persecution and even death during the "Last Days" before Christ returns. I fear we are putting into place the acceptance of the same death penalty that may very well be used against us during that time.

I fear nothing that man may do to me. And I have no fear of what you are implying either. I expect, (God willing that I be found worthy.) to be raptured out of here.

thanks for the post, and keep searching the scriptures.

Same to you. I pray that the murderer you spare never gets paroled and finds YOUR daughter.

In HIS service;
    Jim

18. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Oh, and one more thing.
    About your comment that Christians should not obey civil gov't if it violates Scripture or conscience. You are dead wrong.
    Scripture, yes. Conscience, no. They are not always exclusive of one another. By including conscience you open the door for they who have no conscience, namely KILLERS! You were careful to say "Christians" but there is your mistake. Non-christians will jump at that one and refuse to obey the civil gov't claiming conscience and discrimination if we limit it to only Christians who get that privilege. Dead wrong bucko.

Have you ever watched someone die? (by accident or by disease)
    I have. I am NOT suggesting that Christians should get any kind of pleasure from the death of a murderer. You seem to think that is what we are saying. I surely hope you aren't.

In any case. You are wrong, and I am done with you. It is folks who have the mindset you are espousing who have led this country to the pit it is in. Had we stayed the course and swiftly executed murderers, rapists, child molestors and ilk like them, we would not have so many families torn apart like we have recently in Florida.

Give the scum buckets the benefit of clergy if they choose, and then hang 'em quickly, publically and without mercy. Perhaps it would only take a dozen or so and the monsters who prey on our society will fear retribution instead of fearlessly preying on our most helpless, namely our CHILDREN!!!

In HIS service;
    Jim

19. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i haven't read through all 4 pages of this thread but i would just like to say that I thank God that I live in a country whose secular government says we'll abolish the death penalty when we've abolished crime.

(We're the place that had Michael Faye caned for vandalising cars in the 90s, if anyone recalls.)

A man's going to hang for smuggling in 1 kg of cannabis. His teenage sons had sent out public petitions to try to get a presidential pardon for him. But the President (on consultation with his cabinet) has turned down the petition and the death sentence stands.

But you know what, we live in a very safe environment and we can walk the streets at night. So.....

Americans typically are surprised that Singapore has such a tough stance on drugs. But then again, they appreciate the fact that Singapore is so safe.

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Thank you Su.
    Your government is demonstrating what i think is biblical. Tough on crime, and the law abiding people live without fear.
    Hmmm...seems I read that somewhere?
    Oh YES! Here it is.
    Ro 13:1
    ¶ Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
    Ro 13:2
    Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
    Ro 13:3
    For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
    Ro 13:4
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

I wonder if the fellow who did the vandalizing and got caned for it has ever done that again?
    I wouldn't think he has. And I'll bet you don't have people who kill more than once either huh?

In HIS service;
    Jim