1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians support the death penalty?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by jdcanady, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

jdcanaday, I disagree. The context of 1 Tim. chapter 1 is rebuking false teachers and holding on to sound doctrine. It just so happens we are studying 1 Tim. in one of my Sunday Schools right now. It is not about taking the gospel to violent men and not giving them the death penalty. First Timothy is primarily a pastoral letter and has to do with in-house issues in the church.

Yes, Jesus Christ showed patience with Paul because he was calling him to be an apostle. I do not think it is a good biblical principle to use this as an application to oppose the death penalty. I think if God wants someone saved, they will be saved, and the death penalty will not stop that.

You said:
    No, I'm not saying that.

We'll have to agree to disagree as we are going in circles and I'm leaving town in 2 days for awhile.

2. jdcanady

jdcanady Member

To Marcia

(You Said)

"Yes, Jesus Christ showed patience with Paul because he was calling him to be an apostle."

Once again I have to point out that is not what I Tim. says. It says Jesus showed great patience with Paul, NOT BECAUSE HE WAS CALLING HIM TO BE AN APOSTLE, but to give an example, a demonstration, to teach us (future Christians) something. The example we are to learn is one of patience in dealing with people like Paul, the foremost of all sinners. Having patience rules out supporting their death.

I have prayed that you will have a safe trip. Enjoy yourself or work hard, whatever the occasion may demand.