1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians Vote? Why?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Aug 4, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

I ask this because sometimes I feel like, Whats the point? I mean, on one side we have one who will approve of same sex marriage and abortion, on the other we have the same exact thing. The only difference is one is democrat and the other republican.

I just feel that I vote for either one of them, I am supporting their beliefs on certain issues. I dont like supporting anyone who is for abortion and stuff....

So why vote? I just think the government is so corrupt. Like us going into Iraq for weapons of mass destruction and we found none... you know stuff like that....

So I ask, why vote?

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The government is corrupt! However, we have a participatory government and if it is to be a government for the People by the people participation is required by especially christians. Daniel didn't get rid of corruption but what a testemony he has! We are a republic and the people have power to recall their elected officials without violence. Get enough support and with our form of government we can do great things.

3. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

Yes, I think everyone should vote. It is one of our constitutional rights and it should be exercised as often as required. If you don't vote then you should not say anything about how the Govt. is being run. Your person may not have won but at least you voted your say in the matter. Vote local and national.
    I Hawg approve this message. :)

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Of course Christians ought to vote whenever they can!

Think of how many of our brothers and sisters in Christ in so many other places in this world do not have this privilege, and would almost give everything they've got to be able to do what we can and should do.

Whether or not you particularly care for the people or parties or issues (or whatever else is on the ballot you've got), pray deeply and seriously that God will lead you to make the right decisions when you cast your ballot.

On Thursday, August 7, we here in Tennessee will be having a state primary election for the parties' US Senate, US Congress, TN Senate, TN House, some state judicial offices, and some other local governmental positions. I looked at a sample ballot, and (with one or two exceptions) I haven't the slightest notion of who'll be the best person(s) to elect.

Is that going to keep me from voting? Not if I can help it! I've asked (and am continuing to ask) our Lord to guide my mind and hand when I get into the voting booth.

Humanly speaking, a lot of times we find ourselves seemingly having to choose between "Judas and Pilate." So which one does God want? Beats me!

Maybe it ought to be someone entirely different than either one...I don't know. But this how I view it: If I don't vote at all, then in reality I've just voted for the worst possible person, party or position!

Am I wrong in looking at it that way? Maybe.....wouldn't be the first time!!

More than ever before, we need to get on our knees and pray to God on high for our nation, state and local officials that He would work in the hearts and lives of our leaders!

We've been given an opportunity that a very, very small percentage of humanity have ever had to do, and one that has been secured for us by the blood and sacrifices of our military from Bunker Hill to Baghdad (and all places in between).

Yep, I'm going to vote this Thursday and any other time that I can do so!

May heaven help me and all the others who'll be voting in this land! And may heaven help those who'll both win or lose!

5. trustitl

trustitl New Member

If an early church believer would have had the chance to vote for a replacement for Nero they may have asked Peter the same question. If the "candidate" opposing Nero only beat the Christians instead of feeding them to the lions I think they would have gladly voted for the lesser of two evils.

I think we should be very thankful for the system we are a part of. I like to say this is the best screwed up country in the world. Will we ever make it "heaven on earth"? Not a chance, but it may help keep it a great place "where we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty" (I Timothy 2:2).

6. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This was written by our pastor four years ago. I think it gives a good summary of voting from a Christian standpoint.

Why Your Vote Matters

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Romans 13:1

By now you have probably had your fill of the political season. Every four years America has to endure a brutal and bitter time of mud-slinging, and we are left having to sift through the assertions and promises.

In less than two weeks all that will be laid to rest (hopefully!), as the election will be past and our President and other important officials and measures decided.

Some decide that they hate politics and as a result they skip the vote all together. For Americans this is a right, but as Christians we don’t have this option. The Scriptures clearly teach that our place in the government is God-ordained, as it is for our leaders. To not participate in the process is to reject God’s rule in your life as it pertains to your citizenship.

I know, I know – God is Sovereign, so whomever He wants in office will get there anyhow. Yes, God is Sovereign, but He has ordained that you participate in the unfolding of His plan just as He ordains parents to participate in the upbringing of their children (they don’t put them on the streets saying that God is Sovereign and will care for them anyhow, do they?).

For the Christian, one’s peace is that God IS Sovereign, which allays all fear that if ‘he’ (whoever ‘he’ is) gets into office the nation will go down the drain. The nation will go where God wants it, but even our participation in an election in which our candidate of choice is not elected is His will.

Through the years I have heard a lot of Christians complain about their elected officials (okay, I admit that I have too – so sue me), and this too is our right, but to not vote and then whine is unspeakable.

Maybe we as Christians can help the country not be so divided. If we believe in a Sovereign God (and we do), and if indeed our status is ordained by God (and it is), then we can be the gracious ones who demonstrate that there is a higher Authority than a mere mortal (and there is!).

The question is, ‘Is there ever a reason to not vote?’ The answer is, ‘Yes,’ if you find yourself in a moral dilemma because in good conscience you cannot vote for either candidate. That then becomes a vote of conscience.

Finally, let the Gospel be the transparency under which you judge who and what you vote for. This is why I don’t tell you who to vote for or who stands for what – you have the information available from any number of resources and you have the Gospel–– so use it. Vote the Gospel in your vote. In the end God gets the Glory, regardless of the outcome. For this we praise Him.

By the way, I still hope my candidate wins…

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question shouldnt be "Why Vote", the real question is "Why should I run for office"!

By running for office, you can make a big difference. Even if you dont win, you are able to get your message out.

Let me know if you decide to do so.

Here is my platform when I ran for city council

Salty