1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Christians watch television?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by P_Barnes, Mar 27, 2005.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ben W: Because television is OF the world and therefore just one of Satan's many tools.

As if your COMPUTER isn't even MORE so?? Sounds like a JW approach to me.

All together now, kiddies...

"Bah! Humbug!"

2. P_Barnes

P_Barnes New Member

Yes, television, radio, electricity, antibiotics, internal combustion engines, room-temperature superconductivity and running water are all products of fallible MAN! They are from SATAN and are tools used to make us PRIDEFUL OF INTELLECT and push us farther away from God.

3. mioque

mioque New Member

"Should Christians watch television?"
    "
    I hope watching tv isn't mandatory nowadays, is it? ;)

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you want all of these things done away with? I guess you don't drive a car or ever take medicine or ever use a faucet, etc., etc., etc. Are you a hermit living in a cave somewhere? :D

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Because television is OF the world and therefore just one of Satan's many tools. </font>[/QUOTE]:rolleyes:

You are so right. Cars are one of Satan's many tools too. There are so many immoral things that can happen in a car. A true Christian should never, ever drive or ride in a car ever again.

PS The above post was complete sarcasm. TVs are no more inherently evil than an automobile is.

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

So you want all of these things done away with? I guess you don't drive a car or ever take medicine or ever use a faucet, etc., etc., etc. Are you a hermit living in a cave somewhere? :D </font>[/QUOTE]Amen Ken [​IMG]

7. yabba

yabba New Member

Yes, television, radio, electricity, antibiotics, internal combustion engines, room-temperature superconductivity and running water are all products of fallible MAN! They are from SATAN and are tools used to make us PRIDEFUL OF INTELLECT and push us farther away from God. </font>[/QUOTE]Ever thought of praising God for the intellect that HE gave us? How about people who use the intellect HE gave them to return honor and glory to God?

God has no box!!!

8. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

AMEN. I firmly believe that television and the media are indoctrinating the church. Remember folks, Christ was not affiliated with a political party for a reason.

9. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Some of the logic used by a few folks as the criteria for establishing standards of "right or wrong" about things the Bible just isn't 100% clear on,when carried to its fullest extent, is plain illogical or impractical in some contexts.

Some years ago it was a big thing for some American Christians not to dine at restaurants where ANY alcoholic beverages were sold (Notice I said this was some years ago!).

Then they are transferred by the military to continental Europe, where beer and/or wine was served at just about every restaurant!!

OK....now what?

If God and His Word are one and the same at ALL times and in ALL situations and in ALL cases, why would He DEMAND that one of His children act differently in certain areas of the world than in others?? After all, His Word is immutable and always applicable, isn't it?

Point I'm making isn't that we should not have any "standards of conduct" at all, but that we need to be careful about imposing our so-called Bible-based, Holy Spirit motivated "standards" on others.

Truth as found in His Word is ABSOLUTE, UNCHANGING, UNCOMPROMISING, and ETERNAL. If something was ever a "sin," should not it be FOREVER a sin?

Take a look at what some Christian schools proudly (in all Christian humility, of course) proclaim as "You want 'Standards'? We got 'em here at [whatever] Bible College!!!"

OK...let's see. Ladies must wear modest apparel! And "modesty" means that the hemline has to be X number of inches below the knee!

But, wouldn't that "Standard" be something that would SHOCK the examples of men who this college elevates as "The Greatest Evangelist of ...."?

Would not this "high standard of Christian sanctification" scandalize men such as Moody, Spurgeon, etc.??

If women exposing the ankle to these "heroes of the faith 'Once delivered...'" would be roundly condemned, when did women exposing a whole lot more below the knee all the sudden be emulating standards of godly modesty?

If it was a sin to Jonathan Edwards, why is it NOT a sin to us today? After all, sin is sin no matter when, where, or why it's committed, isn't it? When did God's Word change the "standards of Godliness"?

See what I mean?

We dig our own grave sometimes when we expend most of our time and efforts consigning "'Compromising' 'R' Us" Bible College to the outer periphery of hell because their 'Standards' are less "Godly" than we [the eternal repository of ALL truth] think they ought to be.

"And what shall this [other] man [or college, or association, whatever] do?"

"What is that to thee? Follow Me [Jesus]!"

It's a shame that the risen Jesus failed to include that dialogue, isn't it? Oh.....wait a minute....you won't believe this....but, but .....Oh, I get it, that dialogue MUST have appeared just in those satan-inspired family of manuscripts!!! Yep, sure enough, that's GOT to be why it slipped by the KJV translators. (Who, by the way, had NOT ONE word of praise for TV, radio, cars, electricity, internet, telephones, motor boats, etc., ad nauseum!!)

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Please be advised that the quote given above is not mine.

11. Robert B

Robert B New Member

I'm pretty sure this was sarcasm.... at least I certainly, dearly hope so.

Take care,
    God bless.

12. Enoch

Enoch New Member

We do not watch TV and enjoy the extra family time. It works for us. [​IMG]

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

"Should Christians watch TV?"

If you gotta ask, then perhaps YOU should not. And then leave the rest up to others to decide for themselves before God.

As for me and my house...we will not. In MY house, it is a stumbling block to proper use of our time.

BTW; I use the Internet ONLY for this Board, and my business.

In HIS service;
    Jim

14. Servent

Servent Member

Watch T.V., I dont know, Have you watched TBN lately, That will make you throw it out

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Or throw up!
    [​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim

16. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

You do your business online??

17. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

There's some good with the bad.

18. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

You do your business online?? </font>[/QUOTE]Yes I do. Why do you ask? Got some money you want to spend? [​IMG]

In HIS service;
    Jim

19. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

My ill attempt at some bathroom humor.

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

OIC. I guess I was a little slow on the uptake there, huh?
    No, I don't do THAT kind of business online. There is enough of that out there already, Amen?

In HIS service;
    Jim