1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should churches be apolitical?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Calminian, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Back in the 90s I remember clearcut political positions advocated by Christians and Pastors alike. I believe this was even more common in the 80s. Today I'm noticing a different approach, where churches avoid political talk at all costs in order to avoid offense. Is this a wise approach? Is politics in the realm of spirituality? Can politics be separated from morality?

I'm of the opinion, this needs to be rethought. I think pastors should be open about their politics and allow their congregations to judge them accordingly. I visited a church a few years ago and spoke to a teaching elder on staff who informed me he believed Christians should vote for gay marriage. And it was a fairly conservative church. My guess is, the other leadership didn't know about this political views, being they didn't like to talk politics. Perhaps this is the cost of taking an apolitical stand. You get infiltrated by confused Christians and even wolves.

I'd like to see a return to political conservatism in churches, particularly on issues that matter like life and religious freedom, and even on other issues like globalism, which is mentioned a lot in Scripture. I don't see how we can separate morality from politics. Will it offend? Heck yeah. Truth often does.

2. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Politics and getting people elected? Stay out.

Standing up against injustice? Say it loud and say it proud!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some overlap with politics is unavoidable if the gospel is being preached as written. When preaching against sin, a pastor will naturally come up against the sins that have been "legalized" and "normalized" in the political arena.

But, as far as advising the flock on how to vote, I've never seen ar heard a preacher do so, and they shouldn't.

4. Calminian

Site Supporter

I know a conservative church that actually passed out voter guides to members that wanted them. Is that acceptable? But then suddenly they dropped it. Not sure why.

Pastors definitely do it though. Look at Pastor Jeffress endorsing Trump. In fact John MacArthur said he was voting for Trump. It does happen. I don't see why it's a problem. If candidates give out their platform and one is moral the other immoral, why not make the endorsement?

5. Calminian

Site Supporter

Well yeah, like the injustice of slaughtering the unborn. Stand up for it. But why not stand up also for candidates that are standing up for it?

6. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That's something for each individual Christian to decide. The church is the place for the flock to come listen to the shepherd's voice, not to listen to whom they should vote for in the next election. If I wanted that, I'd go down to the political party headquarters and work the party caucus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Calminian

Site Supporter

Which is definitely the prevailing sentiment. But should the Church also ignore immoral policies?

For instance, the Church was at the forefront of the abolitionist movement in America. This was highly political. Was this a mistake? Should they have stayed out of it?

8. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are now talking about issues of justice, of which I fully support the voice of the church. It was the voice of the church that lead the way for racial equality in the USA as the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr called for justice to reign. That is the role of the church in society.

9. Calminian

Site Supporter

But how do you separate the two? if you are standing for justice and one candidate is standing on that same issue, is that not political? If you're pro life, and a vote is coming up that will impact the issue, are you not advocating a political position?

Back in the day, I remember Churches were very vocal about this. They preached issues and encouraged their members to support those who supported those issues. They were political.

10. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I separate it by leaving politics to the individual conscience and justice to the corporate church.

11. Calminian

Site Supporter

But isn't justice a political issue at times?

12. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to think differently about this, but now I'm not so worried about having politics in the pulpit/church/etc.

At this point, I say just allow the churches to do whatever they want.

I would, however, want some limitations (such as limiting the percentage of expenditures used on expressly political activities) for churches that want to preserve non-profit status. Without some limit, both sides would create "churches" to allow tax-exempt donations for a political organization in disguise.

But if it actually is a church with some side political activities, then I don't care all that much.

13. Calminian

Site Supporter

I totally agree, I wouldn't want the pulpit turned into a political ad, nor a large or even small percentage of the time spent on politics. But should a Church be known as apolitical? Should our official position be, 'politics don't matter'? Abortion, gay marriage not an issue. Christians can and should vote for these if they want to. The Church is a safe zone where these things are never spoken of.

That seems to be the modern Church attitude. That's the part that concerns me.

14. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure what churches you've been observing, but I've definitely heard abortion and same-sex marriage condemned repeatedly inside the walls of a church building, both from the pulpit and in Sunday School.

15. Calminian

Site Supporter

Oh I have too. But a few years ago when we were visiting Churches, I noticed a few interesting things. At one Church the pastor explicitly told members not to talk about things like abortion because it might discourage democrats from visiting. He wanted the Church to be apolitical to maximize appeal to the world. I get the reasoning, but disagree as I think this is, in a sense, also being amoral. You can't just ignore wickedness to attract the wicked.

Also, back in the day I used to hear the Supreme Court discussed often. Today, during this election cycle, I heard nothing on the subject. I thought it to be very strange since the Supreme Court is everything in regard to this issue. Yet I heard nothing among the popular Christian leaders that were opposing Trump. Suddenly, the Supreme Court didn't matter to them.