1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Churches Compare Attendance Numbers?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Mar 7, 2011.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Intentional smallness from the pits of Hell?

Not sure I totally agree.

If a church runs around 50 folks and they basically let it be known they do not want visitors, newcomes, and are not evangelistic because they want to stay small and intimate I might agree.

But I've know very healthy Baptist churches that have it in their "rules" that when they reach 100 they split geographically into two churches of 50.

The old joke was "rinse and repeat", like shampoo, meaning when those two hit 100 they would do it again.

Depending on geography and culture, that can be much more healthy at times than the opposite scenario where an area has several Baptist churches and one sets out to sheep steal everyone into theirs.

Sometimes intentional smallness done right (evangelistic and multiplying churches) is very effective. It can relieve the travel burden for some folks, especially in very rural areas or poverty pockets in large towns and cities. It can be, when done well, very effective at preventing folks from settling in as just pew sitters.

Truly, when it comes to churches, size doesn't matter but health does.