1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should clotheslines be banned?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Although I find legislation to ban clotheslines stupid (especially when not easily seen from off the property), the whole "right to dry" notion just as stupid.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

some people assume everyone can afford a dryer and therefore should need no clothesline, how stupid, and out of touch with the real world.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

??? Does not follow. By that thinking, cities should not require driveways or garages as part of their building code, since "some people assume everyone can afford a car and therefore should require a driveway".

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a good analogy. No one is required to have a driveway or a garage -but if they do, it does need to meet some standard - for the safety of others.

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually in some new developments garages/driveways are required here.

An additional related point to the clohesline, is the fact that our power company is installing "smart" electric meters and some manufactuers are beginning to offer appliances that can be controlled by the meter. When the power grid is strained the meters can shut down appliances - supposedly at the permission of the customer but how long will that last.

Then when the grid has lots of power your appliance will resume its task.

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to mention that clothesdryers break down the fibers of the clothing much faster, causing the clothes to wear out sooner.

You couldn't pay me to live in a place where a homeowners association tells you what you can and can't have on your own property, like clotheslines or flagpoles or a fence around the yard.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's actually not necessarily true. Exposing clothing to UV rays breaks down the fibers significatly. Also, dryers remove allergens that line drying doesn't. It also kills stray pathogens that washing in water does not kill. And, of course, you can't line try during a snow storm ;)

On the flip side, running a dryer costs money. But the biggest waster of money is not the use of the dryer, it's the misuse (running it for too long or using too hot a setting).

The biggest advantage to using dryers, though, is that it cuts down on ironing. The lst time I used an iron was, oh, back in June. I almost never have to iron my clothes.

8. JMSR

JMSR New Member

Thankfully I live in a place where I can dry my clothes outside if I want to. People around here still do. Nevertheless, it's been raining almost every day, and I wouldn't want my undies hanging where the dog could get them anyway. Seems now days a lot of people are looking for a way to claim their rights are infringed upon.

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe not for some folks, but I've noticed a big difference since I've had to use the dryer constantly since we moved here. It breaks down the elastic in my kids' underwear and socks to the point we have to buy them more frequently.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I've never had that, but I was everything in cold, and dry everything on low. And I use OxyClean, jsut because I miss Billy Mays!

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A local wet/dry election?

12. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Only our good old buddy Tidy would turn this into a Obama bashing thread even though it's not. Dem's and Repub's are equally guilty of such stupidity. Both want to be our Big Brother watching over us and protecting us from every possible harm. Pretty soon we will all have to hire a fully trained life guard to have a Wal-Mart kiddy wading pool in our back yard.

13. alatide

alatide New Member

Sag, we're talking about a DIFFERENT COUNTRY. Do you understand that?

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you know it would be tragic if you were wrong about UV rays.:rolleyes:

15. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Every home I have ever owned had covenants banning clotheslines. I do remember as a child how much I loved the smell of sun-dried pillowcases.

16. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess the makers of those rules better not come to rural WV. Not only do we have clothes hanging in the yard, this time of year you'll also see freshly killed meat hanging outside, ready to be butchered. (Deer, turkey, or whatever is in season) We also place yellow ribbons and bows on our trees for our military family members and friends.

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They only become issues in suburban areas. Pristine elites think they have a right to be free from all they determine is unsightly or unpleasant. We had one homeowners association here some years back tell the homeowner that they had to keep the blinds open during the day so that the lake could be seen by people who drove by their house.

We also had a homeowners association try to take an elderly widow's home because she had trouble getting her yard mowed on time. Are you all about to get slammed with some global warming?