1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should English be Our Preferred Language in America?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, May 23, 2010.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

And I think other countries feel the same way. We took a mission team to Greece once, and one of the ladies who lived there became very irate with one of our team members who didn't know any words in Greek. She basically felt the same way you do, but with her language.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Likewise in Mexico. (En México también.)

3. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Yes, it should.

4. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Why isn't this thread moved to the politics forum? It has nothing to do with Baptist

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Good point.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

"You are an American, you use English!" is how my Dutch grandmother put it while refusing to teach me to speak Dutch. This was in the 1980's when the knowledge of a second language was becoming valuable. She didn't buy it for an instant! When her parents and elder siblings immigrated from the Netherlands at the turn of the century they believed learning English was a part of becoming American. Those who refused to learn were looked down on as "holding on to the old country" and not wanting to "be" American.

I think Gran was on the right track. (though, she could still have taught me!)

If someone wants to immigrate to this country to be a part of this country, they need to be willing to learn at least enough of the language to make themselves understood. And right now, English is that language. If they want to speak something else at home, fine, so be it. However, it is illogical to attempt to accommodate the many languages of the world. (hence AL's 12 language driver's test)

Rbell, did you know how many languages the driver's test came in before Tim James' commercial? :D

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

My grandfather spoke English, German, and Pennsylvania Dutch (German). But he expected his kids to master American English.

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Maybe the title of the thread should read, "Preferred language in Baptist America."

9. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Should English be Our Preferred Language in America? " I would make it the required language for business and school. We could eliminate all the extra pay for translators and dual phone menus not to mention the dual printing of all gov. paperwork.

As to the child of two illegals being a citizen, it is or should be under question. I think it states that if the couple are under the juristiction of the usa, and illegals that break our laws are not really under the juristiction of the usa. (Might be a different word, do not remember.

We have had people killed by police because they could not understand commands from the police officers.

10. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It Was Not My Intent that...

.... all Americans, even those who come through amnesty, be "English" majors. It is not my intent that these folks be able to teach English. Just have the ability to speak, read, and write basic English.

You are trying to take this topic to another point, I believe this is "spinning!"

Please stay on topic... and cease trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill!

11. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fantastic Point, and...

... I think you just spoke for the majority of Americans.

Where I live, in California, I feel like I'm the foreigner. Everywhere I go, Spanish is spoken, and Spanish music is heard "blaring" from garages and passing cars.

The only good I find in this is that I'm saving money on a vacation. I can go on a Latin American vacation without leaving my local area. This includes all the taco, hot corn, and tamale vendors set up ILLEGALLY on every vacant lot along our non-freeway hi-ways. And, to make things feel even more like being in a Latin Americans country, we have the vendors pushing their food and ice cream carts down the street several times a day.

What a great benefit I've discovered due to illegal immigrants coming and living amongst us.

12. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Reason this Topic is Here...

... is because it is an issue all of us face every day. In the church, we usually accomodate those who speak another language with their own worship services, including a pastoral team.

This topic effects each of us, and I don't think it is a political issue as much as it is an issue that believers should be talking about, because it is all around many of us where ever we go in America.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and its a shame - (off topic) but who is at fault.

If Americans cannot speak and write proper English, how can we demand immigrants - legal or otherwise to do so?

14. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious, do you have English classes in your church to help them learn English?

Should we Christians consider learning Spanish or another language so we can witness to them in their language?

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Although the English skills of many native-born Americans is poor, that does not excuse legal immigrants from making an effort to learn. No one as RD2 said, expects them to become English majors, but they should have the ability to say more than "Which way to the social security office, por favor?"

16. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious, do you have English classes in your church to help them learn English? No, we have the County School system to do this.

Should we Christians consider learning Spanish or another language so we can witness to them in their language?
    I believe that would be up each individual. That would have to be a calling in that individuals heart, because it would take time and effort to do this. HOWEVER, if English were the language of choice, there'd be very little need to do this.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

The church's response in ministering to immigrants has nothing to do with the govenrment's response to coddling them, and allowing them to engage in behaviors that are not safe (e.g., driving on highways on which they cannot read the signs).

18. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

The Holy Spirit's option is to allow tongues so everyone can understand.

19. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Again I say, there are native born Americans who can not speak, read, or write basic English. Why let them be Americans until they can?

Forget being English majors let alone teach English.

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The onus is upon the immigrant to integrate themselves into our culture, NOT for our culture to bend for the immigrant.