1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should he refrain from voting?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Sep 13, 2009.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

I guess the guy doesn't have to feed his children.

2. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are not given this information in the OP. So, we do not know if he is married, single, has kids, some health problem, or some other disability.

3. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

I must have missed this info in the OP.

Again, the question is whether he should voluntarily refrain from matters pertaining to how the church spends money if he is not contributing any finances...that alone is the question!

Supporting the church financially is important and I believe God requires it of every member, but certainly not in equal amounts. People are to give freely and generously as they have been blessed. If a brother is unable to give at all (I mean he has canceled his cable and done all else possible to lessen his worldly restraints), then he should not absent himself from the vote. Of course, a Christian who is unable to give financially should want to more than make up for it in some other area of service(for which he is gifted) to the Lord in His church:jesus:.

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about members who faithfully tithe but do absolutely NOTHING but warm a pew once in a while on Sunday mornings only. Should they refrain from voting on non-financial issues?

Tithing was a concept taught in the OT. In the NT, we are told to GIVE. I believe this is not just talking about money, but about time, effort, hospitality, etc. I would hate to see someone who felt they couldn't vote in a business meeting because they couldn't give financially, but gave of themselves in other areas. It takes more than money to run a church, and if one is faithfully contributing to the body in service and other areas they should vote like any other member without feeling guilty.

Remember the widow's two mites? Christ said she gave MORE than the others, because she gave all she had.

5. Crucified in Christ

ABC, Of course it is telling us to give, but Jesus never called his followers to a lesser level of devotion. Even if you believe that we are free of the tithe (although the tithe predates the Law), we are not now called to give less, but more. We are called to love not the things of this world, yet how many of us are tempted not to give, all the while we can still eat out, pay the cable bill, etc. This is not an inability to support the Lord's work, it is hypocrisy- pure and simple. Also, when did giving in one area excuse us from giving in other ways? I see this attitude so often...I worry it is simply the worldly church that we live in today. We are to give everything we can and in every way we can. Nothing material should be a higher priority.

God bless you,
    your brother,
    Crucified

6. Crucified in Christ

I amen your point about the widow, but somewhere in that story, we have missed the point. She was recognized by our Lord expressly because she could not afford to give and yet she still did.

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I totally agree, but this was not specified in the OP. I have heard people say they can't afford to give, who still mismanage their money. Others, especially seniors living on a fixed income, can't afford their medications or medical bills and must be extremely frugal just to survive.

The man mentioned in the OP knows his heart, whether or not he is robbing God. Ultimately it is a decision he must make between him and the Lord. The Holy Spirit will instruct him what to do. However, I don't think that decision should affect whether or not he votes in a business meeting.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This has been a great discussion - lets bump it - oh I just did:saint: