1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should I accept this invitation?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Debby in Philly, Nov 10, 2004.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Not one of the last 5 posts addressed the issue of Scripture. What does it say?
    Rom 14:22-23.
    Hypotheticals by the thouseands could be offered and questioned...what about this or that or the next thing?
    This OP was not about a hypothetical situation. It is a real situation with real issues.
    Only Keith admits that the line is difficult to determine. I submit it is not impossible. The lady who asked the question obviously has doubts about whether to go or not. I maintain that the existence of her doubts determine where the line is in this situation. "He that doubteth is damned if he eat (attends party) because he eateth (partieth) not of faith, for whatsoever is not of faith is sin."
    There is no getting around this. There is no wiggle room, no hypotheticals. Now you may disagree. That is certainly your liberty to do so, but I contend you are putting a stumbling block before this dear sister.
    In His service;
    Jim

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

About 90 percent of the people in churches today do not ever lead one person to Christ in their entire lifetime. If you ask them they will tell you they can't or would be terrified. Is that doubting too? Of course not. Often it is a lack of discipleship and faith along with disobedience on the part of church members to teach the person.

Just because a person asks for advice does not mean they are really doubting. The scripture says in the abundance of counselors there is victory.

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

This is a party. She was not invited because she has some truths of God to share. She indicated nothing about her motive to go would be evangelizing the whole ungodly mess.

GB says;"About 90 percent of the people in churches today do not ever lead one person to Christ in their entire lifetime. If you ask them they will tell you they can't or would be terrified. Is that doubting too?"
    You say, "Of course not".
    I say;
    Yes. "Behold, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world"
    And who in the world gave you the 90% figure?
    Back it up with proof or quit with the off topic fogging.
    The topic is not what 90% do, or whatever. she asked specifically about a specific situation. Read her OP again.
    She has had many opotunities to witness to this person away from a drunken party.
    Address the specific situation. She can gracefully decline, maitain her christian witness, keep a "friend/co-worker", and still (Lord willing) win the person to Christ. She does not have to attend this thing pretending that it will be a good witness. "Abstain from all appearence of evil".
    Or do you doubt the power of God?
    "Whatsoever is not of faith is sin".
    There is no wiggle room here.
    In His service;
    Jim

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you don't believe me just ask some of the people in your church some simple questions about who they have led to Christ. Then about some simple doctrine. Ask them about the temporal aspect of salvation. Most cannot tell you that simple truth about salvation. To make it even simpler this next Sunday ask some people to tel you what salvation is. Many will tell you that being saved gets you to heaven but cannot tell you how salavation affects you temporally. In my first pastorate I did ask some of those questions and was quite shocked to find out what I did.

If you are afraid to ask the tough questions then don't ask because you might find out some things that might surprise you. A few years ago I heard Bobby Welch talk about the SBC and its decline since about 1950. It has been on a steady decline of between one and two percent.

But to give you a more direct answer. When I was in seminary taking evangelism were told that. I was also told that by other professors in other classes. Also I was told that years ago by someone outside of the denomination I was in. The denomination I was in had taken surveys and that's what they found. The denomination was the SBC.

Mark Noll also published a book a few years ago with some stats showing that the SBC grew nine percent in ten years while the population grew 8 percent.

The SBC has done some surveys showing that only ten percent of the people in a church regularly share their faith and only eleven percent of the pastors do.

But don't believe me, just ask them or take a survey yourself.

5. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

Um, actually several of the posters (myself included) gave Scripture, so I don't understand the accusation that no one used Scripture.....

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

"Abstain from all appearence of evil". That can be stretched beyond its purpose and meaning. Do you buy gas? If you do then you are quite likely supporting Muslims. If that is a high value to you then stop buying gas. You probably buy food produced in other countries too. If you don't want to help support their economy then don't eat.

There is a huge difference between going to a party with others present and doing business with the person or being alone with that person.

I always like the question, "What would Jesus do?"

Just because I go to someone's home does not mean I serve the same God they do.

Yes, there is a point where you draw the line. I believe that point is when you are being asked or enticed to participate in immoral or illegal activity.

Remember there is a big difference between evil and bad in scripture.

7. steveo

steveo New Member

Theres a differnce in your conscience bothering you because of the Holy Spirit and people making you feel guilt. Many militant churchs make you feel guilt based on their opinions.
    My father went to one where they frowned upon bowling, going to a gospel concert where all where not baptist, etc...
    Sounds like the pharisees to me.
    By the way av1611, scripture was given.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A friend of mine whose parents went to one of those kinds of churches also were a little upset when their new pastor spoke about their responsibility to share the gospel in a sermon one Sunday.

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Eating meat sacrificed to idols is not a sin. Causing someone to stumble is a sin.

10. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It never ceases to amaze me how one can post a simple question here, and a flame war ensues.

Thank you to those who gave sincere, thought-out replies.

Here's my take on it, after considering all that has been said here, and from other Christian friends. The fundamental way to win others to Christ is to build relationships, so that the unsaved can see how knowing and serving the Lord has made a difference in your life.
    Jesus took the time to speak to the woman at the well, when others would have spurned her. He "ate with publicans and sinners," and it was the Pharasees who got upset. I work with this man every day, I have shared the gospel with him on several occaisions, and yet he counts me as a friend, and as someone who holds intelligent opinions and ideas. I can't see how slamming the door on that, by suddenly becoming too good to enter his home when invited, would further the likelihood of his salvation any. Not to mention making our working relationship strained or downright impossible.
    My husband's only objection is that he wouldn't really know anyone who would be there. My other coworkers and also our former boss would be there, and it would be good to see him again, and hear about his new job. If the conversation or actions of anyone there would begin to make us feel uncomfortable, we would certainly leave. But maybe, just maybe, I should go to this part of Samaria to be an example of a born-again Christian that doesn't think she is better than others just because I have been blessed to know the Lord. I'm just as much a sinner as he is. The only difference is I'm saved by grace.

11. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

Debby, I think you made the right choice, I will be covering you in prayer as you continue to be a witness to this man in the workplace and out!!!

12. LorrieGrace

LorrieGrace Member

Debby,

I will be praying that you will be able to share the gospel AND that there will be ears that will hear. I am sure that you feel relieved to have made the decision whether to go or not. Go forth and plant seeds, Debby!!!!

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

For salvation is nearer to us now than when we became believers; the night is far gone, the day is near. Let us then lay aside the works of darkness and put on the armor of light; let us live honorably as in the day, not in reveling and drunkenness, not in debauchery and licentiousness, not in quarreling and jealousy. Instead, put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires. Romans 13:11-14

Even tho I disagree with you, I will pray that you stand out at this party as salt and light, eagles in flight, a lamb that roars....

14. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Diane, I appreciate that. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

If there is a bridge you can build with this lost person, you should go.

If you are an immature Christian that can be drawn into sin, don't go.

16. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Jesus went to parties and was called a sinner himself. ..

Okay, I am getting started again.

Debby, I, too, will be praying for you as you continue to be the salt to those who are lost around you!

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Keep us posted.

18. Pine_Island_Mrs

Pine_Island_Mrs New Member

Hi Debby. Here's my 2 cents worth. In my opinion, you can go to this party and not feel guilty about it. Let your light shine. He knows about your faith and trusts you enough to ask questions and read materials you've offered. That says that he feels accepted by you. At some point in time, IMO, you must sit him down and explain to him your position about homosexuality so that that also is clear to him. Hopefully, by that time, he will recognize Jesus' light shining in you and will fully understand, then, how you can love the sinner but not the sin. I, too, know someone who is gay. When I was backslidden, we spent a lot of time together as friends. I rarely see him anymore but I do stay in touch. He knows that I have rededicated my life to God and he respects that. He also knows that God says the gay lifestyle is wrong and is contemplating stopping it. Hopefully, he will. God will be his judge. I'll be his source of info and a person to call when life gets tough. Making someone feel like a leper while telling them how righteous we are doesn't often work. We are all sinners. Some saved by Grace, some not...yet. Let your light so shine before men. God bless!

19. delly

delly New Member

Debby, I see that you have already decided to go to this party. I'm not sure I agree with you, but just remember to take Jesus with you.

Jesus did eat with sinners but they always knew he did not approve of their lifestyles. His purpose in eating with them was to change their lives, not show approval of them. Often times, we don't let our actions reflect Jesus in our hearts when we are with lost people, especially at parties. We tend to not want to make wave.

We are more vulnerable to sin than Jesus was and must always be careful about the appearance of sinfullness.

If you are going to be witnessing to your friend and other people there, then you are doing what Jesus would want you to do. If not, you are putting your light under a bushel.
    "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matt. 5, v16.

If you're not going to let your light shine, you may as well stay home.