1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should I get Re-Baptized?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

If that is what your old church where you were baptized taught, and you were truly born again before that baptism, then I'd be concerned that the current church follows some form of "baptist bride" belief. Be careful and if this is true seriously consider changing churches.

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

A quick question that might be relevant: Do you suppose baptism within the church was a one-time thing? Is there a scriptural prohibition against being baptized again - even if the first baptism met the criteria?

If there is no prohibition against it, and you desire to join that church, and they require it, do it.

If on the other hand, a person is offended by the church, which seems to be saying, "your first baptism wasn't good enough" - it may still go back to your desire to join that church, being patient with their point-of-view at this time.

But if you know in your heart that based on this and perhaps other things this church isn't for you, don't do it if your heart's not in it. Don't be baptized just to check off a requirement or to please a loved one. Baptism -whether it's your first time or your second - should be more meaninful than that. This is just my opinion by the way.

And let me say to the OP, I appreciate your zeal for evangelism. I think this is a very personal decision for you, and (not that you even know who I am) I will support you in it.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of these IFB Churches are like this. My last church was not as they were more moderate IFB. They are not KJVO in this church but heavily KJVP. In Bible study last night I read from the NIV, and other times I have used the ESV. I also will use the KJV at times. But I notice all preaching, teaching, and memorization is from the KJV. If they were KJVO I would be gone, but they are just KJVP which is borderline but not a deal breaker for me.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Appreciate you brother. I will meet with the elders and tell them that I believe I was saved at the age of five, although I was not fully mature then. Its not as if I have been perfect and have not struggled with sin along the way as I have. I rededicated my life in 1995 but I have struggled with sin since then as well. By the Lordship argument I would not have been saved.

However I was reading Erwin Lutzer last night and he has said that it is not me whom does the saving but God. My salvation is not based on my good works and acts of Godliness. Therefore there are Christians that struggle with sin and they may or may not be a false convert as I do not know.

If the elders like this then I won't get baptized. if they do not then I will. No problem.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

While I hold that the individual is not the sole arbiter of his baptism's validity, this does place a heavy burden on the local church to get it right. Paul, writing in I Corinthians, urged FBC Corinth to "guard the ordinances." That means we should not bake a cum-ba-yah attitude about it. Getting it wrong has consequences.

For instance, somebody comes to your church from another Baptist congregation, seeking membership. So you write to that church asking for a letter of transfer. Turns out this church has a pretty loose policy about baptism, and not only accepts other modes as valid, but recognizes the baptisms of most other evangelical denominations. Y0ur new candidate for membership came from a Free-Will Baptist church background.

So, what do you do? Free-Will Baptists believe in apostasy. Is that a deal-breaker? It would be for me.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The very bottom line - The IFB in question does not want to comromise its beliefs.
    If you get re-baptize; then you are compromising your beliefs.

#26 Salty, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
  7. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I've never read, or heard of it.

Piper's biggest helpful thing in his letter was basically, that while many people may describe a later experience in life as "making Jesus Lord'...the fact is that when they were first saved, they may not have used that language, but they very likely put Jesus as lord in their life, though imperfectly...they DID want to obey him and serve him...They simply may have one, or more experiences later in life that they call "rededications," or "really making him Lord." But scripture does not use that kind of language.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OH MAN.....WHY are you doing this thing with the IFB's anyway? What if you didnt join these guys.....whats your wife gonna do? Arent you 72 YO anyway?

9. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

There have been a lot of helpful responses to the OP, and I can only concur with others that Baptist churches by and large are mixed on the meaning of baptism. Thus, they are mixed on when and whether to "rebaptize" someone.

One thing this discussion highlights is that a church's practice of baptism is not done in a vacuum--it reveals a lot about what they think of their church and other churches. As a result, it may also reveal how good of a fit you may be for them and vice versa.

For anyone interested, I have a study out on the meaning of believer baptism, and one practical discussion toward the end of the book is the issue of rebaptism.

Here's the link: http://blog.herreidbaptist.com/2012/10/my-book-waters-of-promise-is-now.html

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know.....thats a darn good point!!!! Unless you absolutely love everything about them & I mean love. To join a church cause your wife is a standing member....just seems ridiculous.

11. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Read the consitution/doctrinal statement as has been suggested. If they are Missionary Baptist most likely they believe in apostolic succession and that is the reason they want to rebaptize you - you haven't been baptized by one of their men that have decended from The Baptist, John. Other IFB than Missionary follow this thought as well.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm curious....how do they figure that they are descended from the Baptist John?

13. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd guess the book/thinking of "THE TRAIL OF BLOOD" has some to do with it. Baptist school in MO teaches this last I knew, many independent Baptists hold to this.

ACTUALLY maybe I was unclear, not genetically but baptismally. The pastor was baptized by someone that was baptized by someone that was........back to John.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. So in my situation I was saved when I first called out at the age of 5 and according to the Bible "so whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved" is true. I was imperfect but I did see to serve Him and yes I did sin.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have a heavier emphasis on separation than my last IFB church which did not even mention it on their website doctrine statement. If they said me going out witnessing in downtown to the drunks, homosexuals, and prostitutes was not allowed for members then I would leave the church.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there some sort of a certification process required :laugh:

So since my wife's of the Sinclair family...perhaps she is kin to Jesus?!?

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You got that right! But a church that would not recognize Baptism by immersion for a disabled person is in the wrong no question about it.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some good SBC 9 Marks Churches that are probably Way of the Master friendly. Perhaps in time we can try them out. But for the moment I see no reason to separate from the church over secondary issues. However if they were KJVO or did not allow me to go out witnessing in downtown environments because I was "not avoiding the appearance of evil" I would ditch.

19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They do not appear to be that type of baptist as its not mentioned. However what clauses and phrases would such a church use?

4. We recognize water baptism and the Lord’s Supper as the Scriptural ordinances of obedience for the church in this age. (Matt. 28:19-20; Acts 2:41-42; 18:18; 1 Cor. 11:23-26

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe I an naive, but who thinks that way, Please dont tell me IFB, because my brother & his family are heavily involved in an IFB Church.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.