1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should I stay with the KJV?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Dale-c, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I have used the KJV since I was old enough to read.
    I have found though that more contemporary versions are a lot easier to read without going to a dictionary all the time.

I do not want this to be a debate but I will give some of the KJVO people a chance to persuade me to stay with the KJV alone if there is really good reason to.

Keep it civil and informative.

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Brother, all one has to do is make a comparison verse to verse, word for word.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Please allow this thread to fulfill it's purpose. The poster did not ask to be dissuaded, but persuaded.

This thread will be held to topic - which is for KJVO only to state their reasons for sticking to the KJV. If you are not going to give reasons to stay with the KJV do not post here.

Other posts will be treated as off topic.

#3 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2008
  4. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Are you serious?

I'm not going to try to persuade you or anybody else to stay with the KJV. This is a question between you and God alone.

BTW, easier to read doesn't mean accuracy. Sounds like you have your mind made up anyway.

5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

:laugh: All anyone has to do is compare verse to verse, word to word, and they can't help but let God persuade them!

If that's disuasive, then something is very WRONG.

6. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Familiarity plays a factor in verse memorisation. As a child I memorized many verses from the KJV and for the rest of my life used the NIV as my primary translation. More recently I have used a wide variety of translations. I still have the KJV verses in my head and often confuse the actual wording of verses because I know them from the perspective of several translations.

So for bible verse memorisation, it might be good to stick to the translation you grew up with, whether that is KJV, NIV or something else. Just something to consider.

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

By all means, avoid confusion.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I absolutely agree that a version that is easy to read doesn't make it right.

As for having my mind made up, [inflammatory comment snipped]

I do not have my mind made up as to whether the KJV preferred position is is wrong.
    I presently use the KJV.

#8 Dale-c, Jan 4, 2008
  9. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

You added to what I said. I never said anything about your mind being made up as to "whether the KJV preferred position is wrong" The implication of your OP was for someone to persuade you to stay with the KJV or use a "modern version" instead. Why bother asking people? Ask God.

#9 Linda64, Jan 4, 2008
  10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Roger, what did I say that was inflammatory? I was being careful NOT to do that and I apologize if something came across that way.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Please see my PM

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Well, I think a lot of people use the KJV out of tradition.
    There are many common sense reasons to use it.
    FOr instance, all of my church uses that for church and I don't want to use something that I can't follow along with a sermon.

The problem I see with using something other than the KJV is now what?
    Which other one do I use.

I don't want to use 5 different versions.
    I want one translation that I can rely on.
    That is one of the reasons that I want to stay with the KJV.
    The reason to use something else is that the language of the KJ is getting more outdated all the time and if I am going to change, I would like to do so now so that there is a consistency for my kids.
    My daughter is only 16 months and can't read yet so there isn't a huge hurry but I don't want to rush this either.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Dale, due to something that was said in another thread regarding the "Sword Bible" I ordered one and it came today in the mail. It is the same 1611 KJV, with none of the text changed except for the "thee's, thou's, doest, ect. to the modern equivalent of you, your, does, ect. The archaic words that we do not use today are still there, but the definition is at the end of the verse. It's got some other study helps too, but I haven't figured them out yet. :laugh:
    You can order it from CBD, Whitaker publishers or Amazon. I got mine from Amazon because it was cheaper.

Take a look at it and it may be what you're looking for, because it is NOT a re-translation.

P.S. One problem I found searching this Bible online was not being able to read inside it. If you're interested in it, let me know and I'll post something from it so that you can compare. :)

(It's called the KJVER) "easy reading".

#13 Amy.G, Jan 4, 2008
  14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

If you are comfortable with using the KJV, the stick with it. [off topic comment snipped] :thumbs:

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I wish we could have honoured Dale's request on these two threads, but it impossible to keep to the topic in either thread. I am suggesting that Dale PM posters on both sides to get their viewpoints.

Closed with apologies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.