1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should I use a Reference Bible in church or a Study Bible?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Friend of God, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I realize that this question has probably been asked before is it better to use a Reference Bible at church or a Study Bible?

Although I find the study notes helpful, sometimes I feel I'm letting them do my thinking for me, and not relying on the Holy Spirit to guide me in my understanding.

I've relied before on the experience, intelligence, and insights of the posters in the BVT forum and never been disappointed yet. Thanks in advance for your comments and opinions.

Rob

2. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I have been a user of a NIV study Bible, but felt that I tended to spend to much time in the notes and to little time in the Bible text.

Now I use a Thompsson Chains Reference Bible as Study Bible. There are enough helps to get a deeper study, but it always directs you to what the Bible itself says on a topic.

At home I often use a wide margiing bible and other helps such as the Naves and commentaries.

Best Regards

Psalm 95

3. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I bring my Ryrie to Church because of the largeer font size, but I don't do anything but underline in Church. I write all my notes on a seperate paper and then copy them in the margins of my Bible. I am sure a Reference Bible would do just fine in Church. Pay attention to your Preacher, not the notes of the Study Bible until you get home and do some serious study.

4. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I personally have used a reference Bible for years but since it also had notes in it (and I didn't agree with them all) I have made a switch to a text only Bible. It is less distracting and I don't feel as though I am compromising with the bad notes.

It was (and still is) a tough switch, because the former reference Bible has been my life Bible and I know where a majority of common passages are at on the pages. But, just having the straight text there, without notes and references has been very nice. I still keep the reference Bible at home to check out the references at times though.

5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nothing wrong with a study bible.... I mean, wouldn't the same Holy Spirit help the guy who wrote the study notes?

While the notes are helpful, they can distract you.

One of the greatest times I had reading the Word was when I was a travelling salesman. I was stuck in Philly and I had spilled something on my trousers. So I got to the hotel and found a Gideon bible and took my laundry down to the in-hotel laundromat and while they washer and dryer went, I read 1Kings.....and since it was a Gideon bible, there were NO notes or commentary.

I know it sounds goofy, but sitting there on the hard floor, no TV, no distractions, in front of the coin-op washer, bible-in-hand, no notes....it was the greatest time I'd ever spent in the Word.

6. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Another thing about "lifetime" Bibles.

I have found sticking to one Bible has been very helpdul in the fact that, when a text is read over and over, there is a tendency to recall where certain things are at on a page. This has been very helpful in situations where I knew about a certain passage, and knew roughly where it was but could not pinpoint a specific chapter and verse. HAving used the same Bible for years, it was easy to go to about the right place and look in the top right corner on the right page in I Timothy, for example.

Of course, it will take me years again to get to this point with the new text only Bible I am using... but I thought it was useful info.

7. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I like Nelson's NKJV Study Bible. I also like the NKJV Thompson Chain Reference Bible, now in a compact edition. Both are excellent study tools.:thumbs:

8. Acumenical

Acumenical Member

I have no problem with study notes. They're just another teaching tool. But if you find them distracting, use a different Bible during the sermon and consult the notes later.

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use a copy of the NKJV in church, a well-used specimen in which I can quickly find a given passage. I use a study Bible ONLY for study, and none too extensively at that. But we're all different; if ya feel comfortable using a study Bible in church, by all means DO SO. Just remember, it's the TEXT that's most important.

10. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It all depends on if you can ignore the notes when needed. A Study Bible is a good choice - I use the Life Applecation in the KJV or a NIV Study Bible. However, the are times that the notes are just to distracting, so I go to a Text Only or a Reference Bible.

11. kubel

kubel New Member

I use one of those cheap Nelson KJV Bibles for church. That way I can write in it all I want (not much room, but good enough for underlining) without worry. I write my notes and outlines on a separate pad (thank you HP) that fits neatly into a pocket on a leather book cover that holds my cheap Bible. Then I take the pad to my desk when I get home and use the resources of my computer (I use FreeBible a lot) and the Interwebs to do further study.

At one time, I really enjoyed using my old scofied KJV- but someone decided to borrow it and never return it. :(

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. For what it's worth, I don't use a reference bible. I use the Dr. Charles F. Stanley genuine leather, two-ribbon NASB.

2. Got wide margin and is quite firm and nice. I love it!

13. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

14. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got my Cambridge text only KJV from Barnes and Noble bookstore. They did have cheaper ones, but the quality was not as good.

15. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

A couple of fellas at my church use this Bible. I agree that it is a very good Bible as far as quality goes, it was almost the plain text that I went with.

#15 Bro. Williams, Aug 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2007
  16. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many thanks to everybody who took the time out of their busy schedules to help me with this question.

I've started using my Reference Bible in church, and use my Study Bible for study only.

Guess that's what Study Bibles are for...Study.
    Duhhh, who'd a thunk it? :BangHead: :laugh:

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since 1957 I used a Scofield Reference Bible. Trouble was that it is really a study Bible, with a huge amount of details and notes and biases of old C.I.

Thankfully, some honest soul at Oxford University Press changed the title to the Scofield Study System and my latest purchase, identical in every sense to the one I buy every 10 years or so as a Bible wears out, reflects that new title.

If I were in a pew, I'd have just a simple WalMart $5 translation with a few cross-references in the margin. And make my OWN notes. But at home, for in-depth study, the Reformer's or MacArthur Study Bibles (NKJV) or the NIV Study Bible would be a great help and blessing.

18. Lions84

Lions84 New Member

I use my Ryrie Study Bible all the time at church ect but as you have stated the notes on the sides or bottom of the page bothers you. Get a center Column Ref Bible in a comfortable font.