1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should I use my Study Bible or my Reference Bible on Sundays?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Friend of God, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This may sound like a rather foolish question, but I don't know whether to use my NKJV Study Bible at Sunday services or my NKJV Reference Bible.

I like the Study Bible for it's many features,however; the print is very small and difficult to read.

The Reference Bible has Giant Print which is easier to read, but not the many features found in the Study Bible.

A NKJV Study Bible in Giant Print is not an option. It's size is just too big to carry to services. It's like trying to carry two enyclopedias.

Since I can't have "the best of both worlds", what would be your recommendations?

Rob

2. NateT

NateT Member

Personally, I use an NASB slimline for church services. This is true whether I'm preaching or "just attending". The version isn't my point, but it is slightly larger print, with no cross-references, no study notes and the only time there are footnotes is if they don't stick with the literal meaning.

I've done this for some time now. The reason is, I didn't want to be distracted when I would preach. I wanted to be able to see my text very clearly. Now that I'm so used to, I wonder if I would be too distracted in the congregation with all the study notes. For example, would I find myself reading the notes and not listening to the pastor.

3. partialrapture

partialrapture New Member

My pastor just uses an oxfords kjv at everyservice, why use and trust some one elses notes when you can make your own

4. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

I personally do not like using any study bibles unless i am studying a specific topic at home. it is too easy to rely on one mans "OPINION" than it is to allow God to teach you through the Holy Spririt and the preaching of his word.

Isn't that they way God intended it to be in the first place?

5. Seth&Mattsmom

Seth&Mattsmom New Member

I use the Bible that I use for my own personal study. That way I can write stuff in the margins when I learn something new.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I have been all over the place. My favorite Bible is an Inductive Study Bible (NASB) with wide margins for notes. I carried it everywhere for years. But now I carry a small Bible to church. Actually it's a pocket Bible and I just keep it with me all the time. Very handy!

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you mean that God never intended for Paul to study at the feet of Gamiliel?
    Or that he never intended Samuel to start a school for the prophets?
    Or that he should have never established New Testament gift of teaching, which he gave to all the churches?
    The fact is that we learn from teachers, and some of those teachers have put down their comments in study Bibles just as much as others have put their thoughts down in commentaries--the same preachers who preach to you every Sunday but have their sermons and study material in written form. Is it wrong to learn from others. I believe the Lord intended it that way, though he did not intend us to abrogate our own duty to studying the Word of God either. Both are necessary.
    DHK

8. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I have 3 KJV and a NKJV. One KJV is a new scofield study bible, one is a nelson study bible, then i have another one i use to just read and write in. The NKJV is a cheap little paperback that i used when i'm reading my non-study KJV when there something i don't understand. I write in that one also. I wouldn't really reccomend a study bible for church services. But I bring mine sometimes. So I guess it's really up to you. [​IMG]

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Friend of God said:

This may sound like a rather foolish question, but I don't know whether to use my NKJV Study Bible at Sunday services or my NKJV Reference Bible.

Does it really matter? Take whichever one is easier to balance in your lap and follow along while the pastor is giving the sermon.

10. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

DHK i should have been more specific when i said and PREACHING OF HIS WORD

that menas when you are being taught from the pulpit, sunday school class, listening to a radio preacher etc. just use a bible that isn't filled with someone elses "opinions" allow God to speak to you without being sidetrack. if you want you can go home and study it more by using commentaries and study bibles.

too many truly do not know God's word and where to find truths in scripture because they rely too much on man and his opinion. they feel well if he said it it must be true.