1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should "In Love" go with...?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Sep 6, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. In Eph. 1:4, 5: Should "In Love" go with the preceding "that we should be holy and without blame before him" (KJV, NRSV)?

2. Or should it go with the following "having predestined us to adoption as sons" (NASB, NIV)?

2. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I believe it goes with "that we should be holy and without blame before him."
    Because the Bible says, "Owe no man anything, but to love one another," also, "We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not [his] brother abideth in death."
    And, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all of thy heart..."

When we are in love with him and the brethren we are nearest to being holy and without blame.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I believe the KJV and NRSV translators were thinking the same thing. But is there anything in Eph. 1 that can help use come to that same conclusion?

4. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I went back and read over the chapter a few times. The word "in" shows up 24 times. "In" ends 14 verses and begins 3.
    Verse 6 ends similar to verse 4 and 7 begins with "in" for the next mention of His work in us. "IN" is a heavily used word in this chapter, but in every instance it packs alot of punch.

Is there some secret "in"fo you are going to share with us about this verse?

#4 Cutter, Sep 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2007
  5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Yes, prepositions are quite richly used by Paul to express that revelation given to him.

2. I will make the argument that "In love" goes with v. 5, "having predestined us to adoption as sons..." Here are many reasons:

a. Each unit of thought, begins with a prepositional phrase (3, 4; 4, 5; 7; 7, 8; 8, 9;9, 10; 10, 11; 13).

b. But one can make an equally compelling argument for "In love" going with the preceding "that we would be holy..."