1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Martin Luther King’s birthday be a national holiday?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, Jan 21, 2008.

?
  1. Yes, because no one accomplished or sacrificed more for the cause of freedom in America

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Yes, because African Americans are entitled to a holiday of their greatest leader and orator

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, because there should be more holidays

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. Yes, for a different reason than those stated

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  5. No, because there were already too many holidays

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No, because except for Christ, no one’s celebrated day of birth should be a national holiday

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. No, because it’s a veneration of a man of questionable morals, whatever other ‘great’ things he did

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  8. No, for a different reason than those stated

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  9. I am neutral on this question

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  10. I don’t know, but I expect to read charges of racism or idolatry—this topic always brings them

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although it may be a settled issue as far as the federal government and all states go, there is still some opposition to Martin Luther King, Jr.’s, birthday being a holiday. What is your opinion?

2. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Yes.

Also, 9/11 should be a national holiday. More holidays!

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More wasted days of sloth? Why? Can't people or events be remembered without throwing a whole day away for government and commerce?

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I believe he did a lot to improve the moral conscious of this country by having us take a good look at ourselves. Some of the same reasons we invaded Iraq and Vietnam were present in our own country. He also demonstrated the truth of non violent protest and put values into action that many believed couldn't be done.

No greater love than a Man who would give his life for a friend. There is a lot about him that can be disputed but I don't think any can dispute his ultimate and genuine love for his fellow man.

5. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

Sloth? No, more days off to read, and other things. You could read the Bible on your day off. :wavey:

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read it on my days ON.

7. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

That's good. :thumbs:

8. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It absolutely should be a national holiday.

9. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Now, I love days off and such. But I do have a beef w/this one--maybe moreso w/the university for which I work.

We get several days off for Christmas and then we get MLK day off. After that the next holiday is July 4th--not Memorial Day. I personally believe that we should get Memorial Day, b/c I prefer to honor those whose sacrifices affected the "whole" country not just one race. The reason we are told that we don't get MD off is b/c they lump it in to our Christmas break--same goes for President's Day, etc...

Just my .02.

Have a great day!

10. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

MLK affected more than one race! I am white and I find his love of Christ and justice to be inspirational!

11. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

In that MLK did much to bring to light the tribulations of the Black American, we should give credit to this brave man's sacrifice. However to give any man a "Holiday" is IMO a stretch that goes beyond honor to that of supposed holiness. Even with that said, we do assign "Holidays" to days that are not necessarily holy. I believe that there are only 2 Holy days that should be "Holidays", Easter Sunday and Christmas in that they, in the context of Christian meaning, Honor and bring to remembrance what Christ the Holy One has done for us.
    Any one man, though brave and accomplished, can not do anything accept that he gain support from more men to his cause. Jesus did what He did alone. What was it that Napoleon said about Him?

Napolean expressed these thoughts while he was exiled on the rock of St. Helena. There, the conqueror of civilized Europe had time to reflect on the measure of his accomplishements. He called Count Montholon to his side and asked him, "Can you tell me who Jesus Christ was? The count declined to respond. Napoleon countered:

Well then, I will tell you. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne and I myself have founded great empires; but upon what did these creations of our genius depend? Upon force. Jesus alone founded His empire upon love, and to this very day millions will die for Him. . . . I think I understand something of human nature; and I tell you, all these were men, and I am a man; none else is like Him: Jesus Christ was more than a man. . . . I have inspired multitudes with such an enthusiastic devotion that they would have died for me . . . but to do this is was necessary that I should be visibly present with the electric influence of my looks, my words, of my voice. When I saw men and spoke to them, I lightened up the flame of self-devotion in their hearts. . . . Christ alone has succeeded in so raising the mind of man toward the unseen, that it becomes insensible to the barriers of time and space. Across a chasm of eighteen hundred years, Jesus Christ makes a demand which is beyond all others difficult to satisfy; He asks for that which a philosopher may often seek in vain at the hands of his friends, or a father of his children, or a bride of her spouse, or a man of his brother. He asks for the human heart; He will have it entirely to Himself. He demands it unconditionally; and forthwith His demand is granted. Wonderful! In defiance of time and space, the soul of man, with all its powers and faculties, becomes an annexation to the empire of Christ. All who sincerely believe in Him, experience that remarkable, supernatural love toward Him. This phenomenon is unaccountable; it is altogether beyound the sope of man's creative powers. Time, the great destroyer, is powerless to extinguish this sacred flame; time can neither exhaust its strength nor put a limit to its range. This is it, which strikes me most; I have often thought of it. This it is which proves to me quite convincingly the Divinity of Jesus Christ.

Whatever else one may say in response, it is difficult to explain this away as mere eloquence. In fact, it was to counter mere eloquence and such artificial power that Napoleon said what he did. With unbelievable insight, he saw how Jesus Christ conquered. It was not by force, but by winning the heart.

---from Jesus Among Other Gods by Ravi Zacharias, 2000, W. Publishing Group, Nashville, Tennessee

Taken from:

http://woodlandrosegarden.netfirms.com/other/napoleon.html

12. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

It's just another day off for some, so i see no big deal. When i was a kid i remember African-American kids being kept home by their parents on MLK's birthday because there was no "holiday" distinction.

#12 bobbyd, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2008