1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should Preachers charge to Preach?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Zaac, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Seeing this more and more. Note I said PREACHERS and not PASTORS.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets ask the question this way:
    Do churches have a responsibilty to pay a preacher, who is not their pastor?

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    we argue with each other over whether it is ethical, moral and right to tip those who wait on our tables and call those who feel no obligation to do so names and stuff, and wonder whether we should listen gratis to somebody who feeds us God's word or send him away feeling appreciated ?
    wasn't meant for you, salty, just this habit of using "quote".

4. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Primitive Baptists don't "pay" those who preach in their churches, we give them gifts.
    We don't pay our pastors a monthly salary, either.
    Have heard of preachers who travel from one end of the state to the other, or to another state, and be given a love gift less than half of what he spent on gas and lodging, provided the church is poor.
    Have also heard of preachers whose plane fare and lodging to and fro, have been provided for by the church inviting them, besides their monetary love gifts plus some in kind, too.

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

They should be want to preach, and be willing to preach for free, but should NEVER have too (unless we are talking voluntary evangelistic street preaching...)...

Preachers have kids to feed, and families to take care of, and their time spent in study, instead of with those families, deserves to be reimbursed.

6. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Osteen charges to attend one of his events. oops, you said preach didn't you, never mind.:smilewinkgrin:

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying they shouldn't be paid. My question is should they charge? There are some who have a minimum 50K fee to show up and preach.

I'm all for honorariums and covering travel, room and board and whatever else the church wants to give.

But to tell someone I'll come preach but my fee is 50k?

Sounds kinda yucky.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they demand 3 or 4 suites for their entire staff or unreasonable demands (must have a case of diet root beer, ect) ect, ect.

On the other hand, some preachers are so well known that they probally reciee so many request, it would be impossibe to accept even a small amount.
    So a large fee may keep some of those requests down.

But then again, many years ago, Jerry Fawell became the interm pastor of a church in New England

As usual there are always at least 3 sides to a story.

Thanks for a great discussion, Zaac

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Each local church has the right to pay a preacher to come and talk, but is certainly under no Scriptural obligation. That is why a pastor is there. Most local churches could not affor figures like the ones mentioned above.

50 K to hear Jerry Falwell?? He would have had to pay me that to sit through one of his sermons. I have had the privilege of hearing W A Criswell once and Billy Graham twice (actually there), but was because I happen to be there at the time, nothing to do with our church.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the preacher charges a fee and the church wants to pay then it gets done.

If the preacher charges a fee and the church does not want to pay then it does not get done.

It is that simple. There is no should or should not. Trying to turn everything in the world into a right or wrong serves no godly purpose.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Didnt know he charged that much - can you provide the link?

12. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

you should give the background for your question. when you say "preach" that is an ecclessiastical function which Christians understand to be done in the context of church and evangelism, not resource speaking.
    if a preacher is invited as a resource speaker to events outside of a church setting, like a TV interview (I presume that is what you are referring to ?), then like everybody else he is a gospel professional and is entitled to a fee for his appearance.
    If he charges a body of believers for his presence and preaching, then he has become a mercenary, nothing else.

13. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

This is not always accurate. For instance, Kirk Cameron (at least he used to), charged 20k for a speaking engagement. He did that because he got flooded with requests if he said he'd come for nothing....so to keep the requests down, he raised his fee.

But, he then decides whether or not he will actually charge the fee, and many times, does not, based on what the engagement is...

14. Herald

Herald New Member

I am of the opinion that a preacher should not charge to preach at an event. However, it would be appropriate for the preacher to ask for travel expenses to be covered if they are a burden on the preacher. Should a preacher be compensated for preaching? I believe so, but that is a decision to be made by the church or group inviting him to preach.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In our religious society, "Old School Baptists" we have many visitors that are asked to preach on a weekly basis & our pastor/elder often travels to other churches to preach. They do not draw salaries however if you wish to contribute to his services, God loves a cheerful giver.

This also achieves that we the church hear different sermons from a variety of Elders without being limited to one Pastor on a consistent basis. Face it, even the best preaching can become monotonous with time so by getting verity, people are more apt to listen in earnest.

#15 Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2013
  16. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

amen & amen!

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I am talking about any instance where he is asked to come and preach the Gospel, be it church, conference, etc.

18. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the very beginning of my ministry, I decided I would never charge a fee for preaching - including funerals, weddings, special events - and I've always been taken care of by God and God's people. I never bring up the subject of money and if it does come up I say that it is not necessary and move on to other business. Usually I receive a gift which I accept. Sometimes I don't... and that's fine too. By taking money out of the equation, I am never tempted to tailor my message to suit the whims of the hearers - which I suspect could turn into a problem for me in certain contexts.

Other people have different circumstances and strength/weaknesses than I do, so they may be able to set a stipend for expenses without it becoming an issue. I don't know if I could.

When I was serving as a pastor, I accepted a paycheck for my work without reservations. I was engaged in a particular field of ministry and needed to earn a modest living so I could devote the time to the work.

These days, I work a regular job and serve a congregation in multiple ways without drawing any compensation from the congregation whatsoever. I have enormous freedom to teach, work and deal honestly with people since I know that my livelihood is not tied to my popularity with certain people. I have much more freedom than the paid staff members.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And that part I understand. That's why I said Preaching and not Pastoring because pastors are to Biblically be provided for as it is truly a 24/7, 7 day a week endeavor. You are always on call..

Some of my friends from a majority black congregationed church asked me to watch Preachers of LA and tell them what I think. It's about 6 big time preachers in LA. They all pastor mega-churches and seem to be prosperity teachers living super star lives with their big houses and expensive cars.

The youngest of the 6 asked them if it was right for them to charge churches who asked them to come preach the Gospel. The youngest didn't think so, but the others did.

It's a disgusting show.

20. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like it.

Every time I am invited to preach/teach, I consider it a privilege to be part of God's work in that situation. I personally don't understand why I would want to charge someone else for that opportunity. However, if the opportunity is a LONG distance away and I don't have the financial resources to travel that far, I might ask if there is a way they can help cover some of my expenses. I haven't faced that situation yet though. When I have had to travel a few hundred miles or more to preach, I have always had the resources to go without having to consider the cost.