1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Ted Haggard Lead a Church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jan 27, 2011.

?
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. No

40 vote(s)
    93.0%
  3. It's up to the people who attend

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. I don't care either way

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Not for me to judge

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. I wouldn't attend

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What What Geeze...ROFL!

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Actually, Andy has absolutely nothing to do with me being Non-Cal. I was reared in SBC churches and occasionally Base Chapel. I was long since a Non-Cal prior to going to Wiregrass. Wiregrass is totally new experience and path in my life. Never thought I would "dial" into a contemporary church....but I have.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How did this thread turn into a conversation about Dr. Stanley? Its about Ted Haggard.

4. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ;)
    Yeah—I really didn’t think that’s where you got your doctrinal ideas—I just recently heard someone talking about Andy being a leading advocate for Arminianism--- and thought it was funny you go 2 his church considering your non-Cal views. We maybe at different ends of the soteriology debate, but believe me I know that you’re a highly intelligent individual who thinks for himself & desires Scriptural truth as the basis of your personal theology--regardless of what any church leader teaches. And I’m glad to hear you’ve found a church that you love—even if it has Arminian Andy as its leader-;)

5. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

I think because the two are alike.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What? Are you serious??

7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a Hard Thing to Judge

Judging the validity and reasons behind ones divorce is a difficult the to judge. I would think that if Stanley felt led to stay, and his people wanted him to remain, that is all we can really comment about.

When my wife picked up and left, the church I was with asked me to remain, even with the threat of being dis-associated with the conference. When the conference stepped in and threatened to remove the congregation form their roles, I resigned.

Seven years later, the conference and the same church asked me to pastor there again (go figure), and that was after I returned to California with my new wife. We've been married 32 years this May.

Divorce doesn't ALWAYS Make or BREAK the man or woman. As Jesus told the angry crowd that wanted to stone the woman caught in adultry, "he where who has not slept with, or fantasized about sleeping with this woman, toss the stones!" Wise words, from the author of pure wisdom!

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

8. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wise Words PIJ

Let's get back to Haggard, his most recent claim on his sexuality, and the fact that he has started a church in Colorado (about a year ago). :thumbs:

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree - and still I am interested in knowing how many members of Haggards church left after this last announcement he made.

10. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Buena Pregunta, Salado!

That is a great question. Hopefully, someone will have the answer...

I heard, through the "infamous grapevine" that what he loses in members of his new church, he is going to gain in gays, looking for approval and someone to tell them they're going to heaven!

A good friend of mine in college, went from a great church leader and preacher to leaving his wife, six children, and the Gospel ministry for a man! He is now pastoring a gay church in the LA area. I heard through others that know him, that he is packing the house every week, because the attendees are looking for validation in their chosen lifestyle!

I still love this man, but what he has done, and the direction he went in is not in line with what I believe the Scriptures teach. Of course, he disagrees with me, and that strains our 41 year friendship.

11. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother righteousdude- although I knew who Haggard was (ie a recognized leader of Evangelical Christianity)- I personally never heard him speak until a history channel investigation about the end times. Ironically, very soon after this I saw that he got in trouble for his anti-biblical ways. A little while after this (ie when he got publicly shamed) I saw a HBO special that showed his life after his fall----- where he had no job, no money, no house or any real friends. Considering that none of us are perfect, I honestly felt sorry for the guy b/c he really seemed repentant for his actions. And my reaction to the documentary was—this guy made a major mistake—he was a church leader & genuinely contradicted Scripture—but God caught him in his sin & quickly humbled him! He knows he did wrong, repented for his sinful ways & just wants to get on with his life. So be it, and I honestly thought he’d just drift away in self-guilt until he died. But to my surprise, he starts a new church & proclaims he’s multi-gender-----MAN—do I recant ever having pity for him! He really could have been an example of how even church leaders sin & need forgiveness-- But instead—his recent actions are nothing more than appalling and simply contradict Scripture!! Although God would certainly forgive his actions—he really does not seem to want forgiveness--- but seems to only want acceptance for his sinful ways! At this point I simply wish he’d just stop associating himself with Christianity, & step down as a church leader! Sorry if that’s to harsh—but that’s just simply how I see the situation!

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    RD2 & GE

Two hard hitting posts, but very truthful.

Unfortunately, RD is correct, many will attend Hagards church just to hear someone give validation to their sinful ways. It would be interesting if Haggard had Joel Osteen guest speak - wonder what JO would say.
    Suppose the only thing left to do is prayer,
    for Haggard, RD2 friend, those seeking validation, and even for Joel Osteen... :praying:

13. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because of his immorality Ted has disqualified himself from being a senior pastor of any church.

If he wants to return to vocational ministry that would be fine but he needs to put serious distance between himself and his sin. When I hear Ted talk, when I listen to his interviews, when I watch his life now I see someone who hasn't been changed and is very vindictive towards those who he has a grudge against. His interview persist on being more about him than his Savior.

The pastoral ministry is something we must uphold with high regard. A pastor is held to a higher judgment on earth and in Heaven. For Ted to have transgressed as badly as he did and then spurn church appointed restoration removes him from pastoral service.

Ted wasn't nearly as influential as he purports himself to be in his bio. NAE is one of the loosest, most disorganized groups ever created. Since its inception in the 1930s it has always claimed a certain number of members but it bears no actual membership list. Also Ted didn't have the "ear of President Bush" but was invited to be on a conference call with folks from the administration. Ted's penchant for making himself more than what he is goes hand-in-hand with his difficulties.

The sad story that nobody is reporting is the damage that has been done to the church Ted pastored. Staff have lost their jobs and attendance has wained. I can't imagine how people have been spiritually damaged by this.

14. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

amen!!!!!!

15. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Harsh, No. Truth, Yes!

You are following Scripture. NEVER apologize for speaking the truth of His Word.

Pastor Paul(RD2) :type:

16. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe that Ted Haggart is an immoral person. I think (my sole opinion) that like many maga church pastors this guy is about the money and as one canadian I know said. They get paid for knowing how to work a crowd. He gets lots of money. Note Ted actually used drugs and participated in homosexual atctivity. I think it is because of men like this Ted that Men like Sam Kenison dispair when you pull back the vinear of Hypocracy in the pulpit and complicated with their own betrayal they leave the ministry hateful of eveangelical Christianity and live as wickedly as they can. Why? Because they been ultimately betrayed to the very thing they cherrished by these men who are sheep in wolves clothing.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder why the press if villifying him. Why aren't they painting him as a martyr?

18. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Because he claims to be a "Christian". Which if they can thow mud at the because of the activities of its own members they will. Note they aren't judging based on their values but by our own proclaimed ones.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hear, Hear:applause:

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought it was because he still asserts that homosexuality is wrong and admits his guilt.