1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should the Forum Be Bifurcated?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by manchester, Oct 15, 2004.

1. manchester

manchester New Member

Should there be one forum for KJVO believers and one for MV believers?

2. russell55

russell55 New Member

No. We should just learn how to behave.

It really isn't that difficult to obey the rules. I would like to see those who consistently hijack threads throttled a bit, but then I'm not running the show.....

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Moderator note:

There is a fine line between "throttling" and censorship. I trust that everyone can be understanding of that fact.

Roger
    C4K

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Part of the debate may be KJVO vs. non-KJVO, for that reason it would not make sense to divide it, unless you did it three ways and had a ground for inclusion for that subject.

IMHO, we should be able to discuss this as adults; however, and if we cannot, then that is what the moderators are for.

Some have gone off into attacks. I am guilty of that and appologize here and now.

One answer may be that we who wish to debate properly should simply agree not to respond to personal attacks. Simply ignore those posts. If the person stirring the pot, cannot get responses, they get bored and leave. I think that might be the Christian way to handle it.

Then again, as there is a fine line between "throttling" and censorship; there is also a fine line in whether or not we should respond to what we consider a non-biblical doctrine that could be damaging to our churches. If for no other reason to allow new people on the board to know that we disagree with things which have been debated ad nauseum.

5. Nomad

Nomad New Member

I've sometimes thought that the forum should be divided, simply because it would be nice to discuss some serious issues regarding Bible translation and manuscript evidence without the topic being hijacked into a MV-KJVO debate. There probably isn't enough interest to warrant such a division, however.

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I'm beginning to think you are right, Nomad. Lost another good thread to the debate. (The moderator did what he had to, no complaints there.)

7. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No matter what, it wouldn't take long for any such forum to turn into KJVO vs multiversional. False doctrines are like colds...can be controlled but not CURED w/o making the cure worse than the disease.

8. russell55

russell55 New Member

I didn't really mean to be critical, and reading my post I see that I wasn't careful enough with how I worded it, and it sounds critical. I understand that the calls are a lot more tricky for those who actually are in a position to have to make them than for those who are just standing by looking on. And this is what I meant--more or less--in my first post. Anyway, I'm sorry for the carelessness of my first remark.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

No problem Russell and be assured that no offence was taken - simply a clarification of our point of view.

10. manchester

manchester New Member

In certain threads that get hijacked, and the original poster has to make a new second thread to get a real discussion, could the original poster ask that any off-topic posts be deleted in their entirety as they are posted (replaced with "&lt;off topic&gt;")? That would stop the bomb throwers.

11. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is actually a violation of Baptist Board posting rules to post off topic.
    I realize that this is a broad statement that could be interpreted that each post must be relevant to the forum and not specifically to the thread.

Keeping a thread on topic is simply common courtesy. It is the tendancy of both sides to deviate from the topic at times.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And also going off topic "spiritually" (so it doesn't really look bad) by adding 50-100 verses of Scripture, 99% of which do not relate in any way to the discussion at hand.

I have snipped some, and been villified for cutting out the Bible!

We do not have a forum for only Reformed or only Arminian. We recognize on issues like that (and versions and prophecy and ecclesiology) there is great diversity in the Baptist tree.

And many would like to see some Baptists HANGING from a limb of that tree . . [​IMG]

13. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it is to much fun here the way it is. Reading some people's posts gives great laughs. :D

14. Marathon Man

Marathon Man New Member

Amen, brother. Frankly, I've lost a lot of interest in this forum because of the very problem you bring up. It's so discouraging to wade through a gazillion MV-KJVO debate threads to find something I'm really interested in.

15. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Should the Forum Be Bifurcated?

Can we just bifurcate the KJV-onlyists instead?

Actually, it's too bad that this forum does not have what used to be called a "twit filter" or "killfile" - a list of IDs that you find excessively irritating and hence their posts are filtered out of the forum as viewed by you.

16. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A special thread for folks who know obscure big words like bifurcated? :confused: :confused: :confused:

17. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Bifurcated: divided in two.

Actually, strictly speaking it means two-pronged (like the letter Y), but you get the idea.

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man, I thought it was to skin a cat two ways with Ed!

Bi = 2
    Fur = fur
    Cat = cat
    Ed = ed

Guess I'm etymologically challenged . . .

Doc = moor
    Tor = peak/crag
    Bob = float on current

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr Bob: "Man, I thought it was to skin a cat two ways with Ed!

Bi = 2
    Fur = fur
    Cat = cat
    Ed = ed

Too good to let pass on this point:

Ruckman *seriously* claims by the same analogy the following (see his "Mark of the Beast" book):

Catholic = CAT a HOLIC = addicted to worship of the CAT.

In jazz slang, a "CAT" is a black musician.

In prophetic terms, the CAT is that leopard with the "mark" of those big black lips of the Antichrist

Felix (watch out for words ending with "X", since "X" is also a "mark"!) is the Latin for "CAT", and the Popes all speak Latin....

[the last statement is of course not true, but certain people have to be indulged in their fantasy speculations, even if they get their etymologies from cartoon characters]. [​IMG]

20. michelle

michelle New Member

By the way, I know this is off topic, but Dr.Bob, your last post reminded me of GrannyGumbo since she used to play similar games on the games thread, and I thought you all might be wondering why she hasn't posted in a while. In case anyone did not know, she no longer has a computer. Her Pastor (son-in-law)needed one desperately, as he gave his to some street preachers who needed one, and Granny felt the Lord desired her to do this. She misses everyone, and the BB boards terribly! If anyone would like to say anything to her, let me know, as I usually talk with her once a week, or every other week.

Sorry to interrupt the thread.

love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle