1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should the SBC change its name?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Nov 8, 2004.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Most of the SBC has southern leaders with a southern mentality for reaching the south. They should stay there.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The SBC has become a riddled mass of confussion and liberalism. The main reason I came out of any SBC church. Changing their name will not fix the mess that they have gotten into. What is needed is repentance, and strong leadership to move them back to the bible and its calling for godly living. Then if they feel the name is needing changed they could talk about that.

3. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

I recently came out of a Southern Baptist Church and now attend an Independent Fundamental Baptist Church. I agree with freeatlast--a name change will not "fix the mess they have gotten into." We need to get back to the Word of God and "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (2 Tim. 2:15) When the Word of God is compromised, and the truth is not preached in our pulpits, the sheep will become weak and malnurished. We need boldness in proclaiming the truth of the Gospel to the lost.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

There are good and bad 'churches' in each branch of the Baptist church.

I've only been in one lousy SBC and the pastor there joined the CBF and got kicked out of the church.

Diane who proudly serves our Lord in the SBC

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Diane,
    Mod or not, you seem to have a propensity to totally change what someone says. We have went around about this before. This is not about particular churches, but about the SBC. it is true that it is made up of certain baptist churches, but the discussion is about the SBC, not those churches. If the SBC would change its ways those churches that are out of line would be out of its convention, but because the convention is so corrupt the churches thrive in corruption under its corrupt leadership. They need to repent!

Freeatlast who proudly serves the Lord apart from a corrupt convention.

6. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

freeatlast,
    Is that your final answer? Why don't you tell us what you really think? :eek: [​IMG]

BTW, I vote no.
    WallyGator

7. RandR

RandR New Member

If by "corrupt" this post refers to how one good old boy network has replaced a previous good old boy network and to nepotism and such, then perhaps there is some truth here.

But my hunch is that here "corrupt" has to do with things like Bible translations, styles of music, women wearing pants, and other vitally important things like that.

8. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

It would certainly be a lot better than the "Confederate Baptist Convention." :eek: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

When I visit my family in North Carolina, I always attend the same church, and it is SBC. Except for the music (not CCM, but the type I grew up on) and the dress (it is about 50/50 who dresses up and who wears casual), it is not any different from the IFB church I attend at home. I really enjoy the services.

10. Todd

Todd New Member

Maybe freeatlast would like to explain to those of us who are still in the SBC why the convention is so corrupt. Seems pretty harsh to call the only mainline denomination that has come back to its conservative roots from the brink of outright liberalism "corrupt." Was the 1998 Article on the Family in the BF&M corrupt when it stated that women should "graciously sumbit to the servant leadership of their husbands?" Was the SBC corrupt when in 2000 it added to the BF&M that the Pastorate is reserved for men? Freeatlast, you're going to have to help me to see where the SBC has become increasingly corrupt. No denomination is perfect, but the SBC is the closest to the Scripture than any I'm aware of. Further, the Cooperative Program is the greatest corporate vehicle for missions that Christendom has ever seen. What other denomination does what Southern Baptists are able to do through the Cooperative Program? You need to put some meat on the skeleton of your skathing accusations.

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Todd, I agree with you. Since the conservatives took over the convention and pretty much kicked out the professors teaching evolution, etc. I thought we were on a pretty good track. If a church goes liberal they usually quit the convention. This happened to one of our big churches in Oklahoma City (2nd Baptist). It was sad to see them go, but they did the right thing and left the convention rather than trying to change the convention.

I've heard Freeatlast make many bad statements against the convention. My guess is that he had a bad or a couple of bad experiences. With several thousand churches, its going to happen whether we like it or not.

People keep getting confused too. The convention SERVES the churches, not the other way around. The churches are autonomous. This does cause a few problems because some churches can be more liberal and the convention has difficulty telling them what to do.

The convention is primarily an organization for missions both local and abroad. This includes not only the printing of church materials, but the Radio and Television production, local missions and foreign missions, items too numerous to mention.

I would really like some SPECIFICS from freeatlast. Not just one incident at a bad church. I've been in bad churches where usually the pastor has an agenda other than God or a group of the congregation give the pastor trouble and either run him off or split the church. This happens in all denominations.

I noticed Michelle posted that the SBC was full of corruption. Maybe we need to ask our resident expert on theology? [​IMG]

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The convention SERVES the churches, not the other way around."

I used to think that too, Phillip, but I'm not so sure any more. I would refer you to the pressure put upon DOMs to press for local ratification of the BF&M 2000, a move that came from above, not below.

As far as your reference to the "Second Baptist Church," I assume this is a facetious reference to the First Baptist Church of Oklahoma City, which left the SBC but, oddly, is still a member of the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma and the Capital Baptist Association (both SBC affiliates.)

Of course, after that, Jeff Zurheide left OKC and the church still has interim senior and associate pastors and doesn't seem the same church it was when Herschel Hobbs made it one of the bulwarks of the convention.

Has anyone heard of Jeff Zurheide, the pastor who presided over the split, and then went to Wilton, Conn.? Last I heard, he was being treated for blood cancer.