1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should the SBC change its name:

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 23, 2007.

?
  1. I'm SBC and I say Yes

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  2. I'm SBC and I say No

22 vote(s)
    41.5%
  3. I'm SBC and I'm not sure

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. I'm not SBC and I say Yes

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  5. I'm not SBC and I say No

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  6. I'm not SBC and I'm not sure

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is discussion that the SBC needs to change its name from "Southern"

If so, what name would you recommend?

What say you?

Salty

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

The name makes absolutely no difference to me.

Practically speaking I think it would be ridiculous to change names. We spend enough money in overhead for things, but can you imagine how expensive it would be to change names? Letterhead, signs, business cards, etc?

I say stick with SBC and put the focus on ministry and missions!

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Focus on ministry and missions:thumbs:

4. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I dont necessarily think the SBC should change its name - I'm SBC, but I think the name does limit us in non southern environs.

How about the No Tounges, no beverage alcohol, we better watch out for calvinists Baptist Convention :)

That would be the No No No BC

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'd like to keep it, but I wouldn't pitch any fits if they changed it.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

This never gets anywhere but on boards and in papers. Practically, what are you going to change the name to? There are tons of baptist groups, and all the best names are taken.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The SBC has overwhelmingly voted not to change the name at least two times before.

I say, "The Convention has spoken; get over it!"

Ed

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I agree. The name speaks of its origin, does it not?

Dang, I clicked on the wrong one. I meant to click on "I'm not SBC and I say no" but I clicked on "yes".

Oh well...

9. JerryL

JerryL New Member

My thoughts exactly.

10. Conservative Christian

Shout it from the rooftops, brother! :thumbs:

The Filipinos don't seem to have any problem with the Southern Baptist name, so why should American SB's worry about it!:
    • Convention of Visayas and Mindanao Southern Baptist Churches
    • Luzon Convention of Southern Baptist Churches
    Our prime directive is to fulfill the Great Commission. I don't see where having the word "Southern" in our name affects that one way or the other.

I'm SBC and I say NO!

11. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Here's why we should get Rid of the "Southern" in Southern Baptist. Do people really need to discuss this? It seems so obvious. If we are attempting to win the world to Christ why limit ourselves to a name that reeks of regionalism and separatism? We really need to shed the "guns, grits and gee'-zus" image that the term "Southern" communicates to the minds of more than half the world.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

It is a shame that mission opportunities are thwarted because someone thinks because the SBC has Southern in it's name that the KKK is in it's back pocket. I know this mentality exists because I've talked with teachers from different parts of the states on chatboards that think we have KKK headquarters in strip shopping malls.

I just want to make sure that God is involved in what we do, and quite frankly, I don't think we invite him into enough of our SBC endeavors. We changed the Home mission board to the NAMB because worked on this continent - not just in the US. That name did better reflect who we are. I'm not necessarily opposed to a name change, but I want to make sure when we do it is because we are really and truly led by the Spirit and not just feeling the name is a hindrance to what WE are trying to do. God can certainly overcome any obsticles that "Southern" brings with it.

14. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm gonna "Second" Mitsy's proposal here---Ummm, She's on Microphone #2 and motion for amendment and chance to "speak to the admendment"

(President at the Podium)----"Sure, Brother Blackbird!! Whatever you say!!"

First, I'm not ashamed to be called Southern Baptist!! Its part of a Baptist heritage for over 100 years.

The KKK no more has Southern Baptists in their "Hip Pockets" than those organizxed mobsters up north have Independant Baptists in theirs!!

But people have a tendency to believe otherwise, don't they!!! Just "Google" up the history of Orsen Wells and "War of the Worlds"----millions actually believed the Earth was being invaded-----United States citizans are so stupid!!!!!

5th-ly!!! We've(The Southern Baptist Convention) done apologized to the world for our part in the terrible "War Between the States"---better known as "The War of Northern Aggression!!!"----we've apologized for our part in the slavery issues of over a century ago!!! How many more times are we gonna have to apologize????

6th---if the name IS changed----folks ain't all that gullable---any person with a normal IQ can follow a name change---any fool of his own can "trace" the new name back to the old name and therefore renew the "Sour taste" in his/her mouth!!!

I'm against the name change!!

Bro. David(48 years a member of the Southern Baptist Convention---20 of those years as a Pastor of a Southern Baptist church!!

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

Change it to (possibilities):

"Holy Order of the Fried Chicken"

"Casserole Baptist Convention"

"Fight? Did someone say fight?"

"Committee Baptists"

16. Conservative Christian

PREACH ON, BROTHER! :thumbs:

If we changed our name, the same liberal yayhoos who currently accuse us of being "racist" will start screaming "They changed their name just to deceive everybody as to who they really are, they're still just a bunch of rabid racists!"

The SBC MUST be doing a lot of good, because the liberals, gays etc. hate us so much.

17. Conservative Christian

If you go overseas to places like the Philippines etc.---the natives we've brought to Christ have NO problems with being identified as SOUTHERN Baptists!

About the only ones who whine about our name is LIBERALS and other politically correct types, both of the secular and Christian variety. Mostly of North American and European stock!

18. Conservative Christian

Oh, puh-leeze!

Being the largest Protestant denomination in the USA, and the sixth largest in the world, you don't think people are going to be able to figure out that all we've done is change our name?! You think the American people will be too stupid to realize that?!

When you go overseas to places like the Philippines, Africa etc.---you will find that the vast majority of the natives do NOT view us with a jaundiced eye, like so many politically correct types in the USA.

As for the name change to NAMB, it's not fooling anybody. If you go to the NAMB website, they clearly state their affiliation with the SOUTHERN Baptist Convention.

Not to mention that the SBC has associations in over 40 states now. Is there honestly anybody gullible enough to think California Southern Baptists are all a bunch of members of the Kooks Klucks Klowns?

Those who are IGNORANT enough to believe in this day and age that Southern Baptists are a bunch of KKKers, are not wanted or needed in the SBC, in my very candid opinion. Besides, if we did a name change and some of them joined, it wouldn't take long for them to figure out who we used to be, and they would promptly quit anyway.

#18 Conservative Christian, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  19. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

ummm Blackbird,

Did you call me Misty?

20. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I was responding to one of the articles that Salty posted. I have clearly said I'm happy with the name. I don't think Southern should be an obsticle.

#20 mcdirector, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007