1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should the SBC change its name:

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 23, 2007.

?
  1. I'm SBC and I say Yes

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  2. I'm SBC and I say No

22 vote(s)
    41.5%
  3. I'm SBC and I'm not sure

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  4. I'm not SBC and I say Yes

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  5. I'm not SBC and I say No

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  6. I'm not SBC and I'm not sure

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

As someone has posted, this has been voted on a couple of times and the name was not changed. I don't have strong thoughts about it either way. I understand its identification with the South in some circles, but I think that's a strawman today. I heard a news commentator on FOX say "I understand that they (the SBC) have a rigid set of rules that everyone must follow." I quickly sent a high priority E-Mail to him saying, in essence, BALONEY! He read it, but did not comment publicly. SBCers are quite capable of defending the faith once given to us, and their choice of names for the convention. :saint:

If you were to ask me about my faith, I would respond "Christian." If you ask me where I attend services, I would respond "Southern Baptist". If you ask me for my denomination, I would respond "non-denominational". I attend where the teaching is true to the Word. Clearly, that teaching was here long before the RC and Luther groups.

#21 DQuixote, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  2. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

I'm not sure it needs to be changed, but if it is, I think Sovereign Baptist Convention would be good. Keeps the SBC acronym and also adds a bit of autonomous baptist identity language.

3. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I like that.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The name can be a blessing or an obstacle depending on what that name represents. If the SBC would quit fighting and get down to the business of doing God's work then they can be known for doing God's work instead of being known as having internal division. The name represents what the SBC chooses.

5. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

This is why I love Primitive Baptists.

No Conventions, very small associations (if any), and the name is not tied to anything politically unpleasant for people.

The largest association you are liable to find would consist of maybe 10 churches, and I am not personally familiar with any that size.

As for the change, I don't care what the people in the SBC want to call themselves, unless of course you all wanted to leave the SBC, join us, and start calling yourselves Primitive Baptist.:thumbs:

6. Conservative Christian

That won't ever happen.

The vast majority of Southern Baptists believe in fulfilling the Great Commission, thus they support missionary work.

The great majority of Primitive Baptists have always opposed mission work. In fact, the main reason they bolted from mainstream Baptist circles in the early 19th Century, was because they opposed the missionary work of the Baptist Board of Foreign Missions. The early Primitives were also opposed to the creation of seminaries etc.

Little wonder that Primitives probably number under 100,000 today, while the Southern Baptist Convention numbers over 16 million. If you evangelize you grow, if you don't---oh well!

Though its critics love to bash and condemn the SBC, just ask them to name some denominations that are doing more to fulfill the Great Commission in the world today. Their silence will be deafening.

7. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not SBC, and I say no. The only thing SBC is known for in my area is missions. The saying goes if your gonna be SBC, your gonna do missions - which is great.

8. Conservative Christian

You obviously don't understand the enormous struggle within the SBC today. It is between the conservatives and the liberals, neither of which intend to back down.

If the liberals have their way, you'll see unrepentant gays as pastors and in other leadership positions, teaching Sunday school classes, and in the pews.

Even with all its faults, the SBC is still a powerful force for fulfilling the Great Commission. They accomplish much good around the world each and every year.

Just a few "fast facts" about the accomplishments of the SBC's International Mission Board last year:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Field personnel under appointment (5/9/07)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]---5,184[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Career/associates/apprentices---[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4,143[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2-yr. International Service Corps/journeymen/masters---[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1,041[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Field personnel appointed 2006[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]---758[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Student volunteers [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2006---[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6,100[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Overseas baptisms 2006---
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]475,072[/FONT][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Overseas churches 2006---
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]135,252[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Overseas church membership 2006
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]---8.8 million

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New churches 2006---[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]23,486[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

People groups engaged---
    [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1,170[/FONT]

#28 Conservative Christian, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Obviously a lot of us DO understand exactly what's going on in the SBC today. It should keep it's name, get down on it's knees, and do what it does do so well. gb93433 is a good case in point. How you inferred from one brief post on one thread that he "don't got no clue" is beyond me. His posts taken in totality indicate that he has an enormous clue.

You are conversing here mainly with folks from the SBC who have been educated in SBC seminaries or have close ties to them and who have or do work in SBC churches.

*The quotes used here: "don't got no clue" : are for emphasis. I am not quoting anyone.

#29 mcdirector, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who are being categorized at "the liberals" in the SBC today? I thought even Paige Patterson believes that they won that battle in the mid-1990s.

Where is the unrepentant homosexual coalition in Southern Baptist life?! I haven't heard of such a thing.

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm quite conservative...but in the interest of accuracy...this statement doesn't hold water. I don't know of a single SBC member that is pushing the above agenda.

Out of 16 million members (BTW--in the interest of more accuracy...less than half go to church on Sunday...we don't know where a third of these folks even are...), I'm sure there's a couple that feel as you described. But there is not an organized movement in the SBC pushing that agenda.

We need to be accurate in our statements. When we engage in too much hyperbole, we can be accused of being inflammatory.

#31 rbell, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  12. Conservative Christian

First of all, let's get one thing straight---"don't got no clue" are YOUR words, not mine. MY exact phrase was "You obviously don't understand the enormous struggle"

There is a HUGE difference between telling somebody they don't understand something, and telling them they "don't got no clue". To make a long story short, don't put words in my mouth.

And aside from the self-righteous prattle about the SBC needing to "quit fighting" and "get down on its knees", I thought I made it pretty obvious in my previous post that the SBC is locked in a struggle for its SOUL. We're not talking petty bickering here.

If the liberals prevail, we will have unrepentant homosexuals in the pulpits, sunday school classes and in the pews. I think YOU need to get down on YOUR knees before you start criticizing the SBC. There's a spiritual WAR going on, not just some game.

The situation in the SBC right now is SERIOUS, and if you can't see that, then you don't understand the situation even half as well as you think you do.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

I would appreciate your being a gentleman to bitsy. Thanks.

14. Conservative Christian

Then you don't know many Southern Baptists. And I sincerely doubt you've met all 16 million of them. I also doubt you've been in every one of the tens of thousands of SB churches across the country. So you clearly know little of what you speak.

I've PERSONALLY HEARD SEVERAL SB members promoting the gay agenda in my travels, so you obviously haven't met the same members I have. So your statement is meaningless, and there's nothing hyperbolic about what I say.

And your statement about less than half going to Church on Sunday is meaningless, since that's true in virtually EVERY denomination in the country. It is NOT the responsibility of the SBC leaders and pastors to make sure the members are in church.

It's quite obvious that YOU are the one who needs to be accurate with your statements. Because I have seen and heard with my own eyes and ears what YOU deny is happening.

15. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I think everyone is perfectly clear on my words and your words. Nor do I think anyone is talking petty bickering here. I do think you need to come down off your high horse a bit and read some of what's been written and not just in this thread. People who know me, know what I said is not self-righteous prattle but sincere and from the heart.

My point to you, sir, is that you seem to need to get to know the folks you are conversing with in this forum. Many of us deeply love the SBC and have participated in it on various levels. You seem to think you have a deeper understanding than anyone else of SBC polity and can peg any of our spirituality from a post or two. I don't have that gift and am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to my fellow members here.

16. Conservative Christian

I used no inappropriate language or inferences, nor did I call her any names.

She drew first blood by putting words in my mouth. If she ceases doing that, we'll get along fine.

Now I would appreciate it if you would mind your own business. Thanks.

17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I didn't put words in your mouth. I used my words. I'm sorry you took it that way, but I didn't use the quote feature. I used quotes to show that I don't speak that way and to make an emphasis.

I'm so sorry you are upset. It would NEVER be my intent to draw blood. Again, if you'd been reading my posts, you would know that.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

I spoke from my experience, and did not attack yours.
    Besides...I've been in SBC ministry for 20+ years. I've served in SBC churches all over the country. I see thousands of Baptists every month. I don't claim to speak for all Baptists...no one can...but I can speak from my experience. If yours is different, fine. But belittling my point of view doesn't make you look good.

Now...this may be returned with anger, but here goes anyway...
    I don't expect you'll be here much longer.

People who speak in such strident terms don't usually stay around for long. They end up in confrontations and are reprimanded, or "take their ball and go home."

I think you'll find that if you will be a bit more mature in your posting, folks will respond to you better. You might even learn something here. I have. I've made some posts I've regretted...but all in all, I've tried to take the high road, and it does pay off.

But...if you want to launch this sort of harsh tone...have fun...it won't last long. :thumbs:

19. Conservative Christian

You continue to put words in my mouth and make false representations.

I never questioned your love for the SBC. I never claimed to have the deepest understanding of SBC polity. I've never said the SBC is perfect, I've criticized it on occasion myself. And I most certainly NEVER questioned your spirituality and walk with the Lord.

It does NOT take a high-level SBC insider to know that there is a SERIOUS struggle going on in the SBC. So just getting down on our knees and praying, and saying they need to quit "bickering", isn't going to stop the the very real spiritual battle.

The liberals have no intention of relenting, so the conservatives can't either. The so-called "Carter-Clinton" conference coming up next year will see the liberals step up their campaign against the SBC and non-SBC aligned Baptists. They don't intend to hold hands with us and sing "Kum Ba Yah".

One can criticize the SBC all they want for their so-called "bickering", but in an organization that large and with that much at stake, I can tell you right now it's NOT going to stop any time soon.

So we can either complain and criticize the SBC about its many real and perceived shortcomings, or work to make it better. I choose to work to make it better. That's why I recently wrote checks to the IMB and NAMB.

With all its real and alleged warts, the SBC is STILL one of the primary forces on earth for fulfilling the Great Commission, and giving aid to the indigent.

20. Conservative Christian

You made no mention that you were speaking just from your experience. You clearly stated that I wasn't accurate, my statements "didn't hold water", and that I was engaging in "too much hyperbole" that could be deemed as "inflammatory".

THOSE are examples of belittling someone's views. And claiming that you didn't attack mine is not a truthful statement. So if my alleged belittling of your point of view doesn't make me look good, just how does YOUR belittling of my point of view make you look?