1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should the SBC divide over Calvinism/non-Calvinism?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by reformedbeliever, Oct 24, 2007.

1. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

This is a very serious concern. There are some associations that are drawing lines. Will our convention follow?

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

NO!

I betcha the average person in the convention doesn't know which is which. I've worked with a bunch. When I happen to think about it and take an impromptu poll from the masses, the look at me like I'm nuts.

(don't report me for betting ;) )

3. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest!

Bitsy's bettin' again!

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

You old man! Stop harrassing the younger generation ;)

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What are they planning on doing next? That's crazy!

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Nope. ............

7. reformedbeliever

You are absolutely correct in that they don't know which is which. They are acting upon misrepresentations..... and it is *very* sad. This is serious. I may have more on this next week. I hope I don't.

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I hope you don't either. It will be a top-down decision and a sad-day. Most members won't know what to do.

9. reformedbeliever

Well i'm not sure it will be a "top-down" decision. It seems that it is being decided in the local associations.... and the "top" is going to have to address it.

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

ok

YOu said that ;)

I didn't sleep last night. I shouldn't talk when I don't sleep. I DON'T want it to happen. We have been this way since near the beginning. Why make a splitting issue of it now?

11. reformedbeliever

I agree. Historically we have been on both sides of the issue and definately everywhere inbetween. As a matter of fact...... that is the SBC's stance on it.

12. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

The history of the convention is such that it has always been made up of general and particular baptists.

13. reformedbeliever

Agreed.... but there are associations dividing over the issue.

Should the SBC step in where there are factions within associations who are ignorant of the facts?.... and indeed dividing the association?

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Why not divide? Lets continue the pattern of taking one church united under one Spirit in the book of Acts until today. Multiple hundreds of denominations, and their sub groups exist today. Lets make some more. Lets dont stop at Calvinism, lets divide over communion, lets divide over the altar call, then lets divide over what kind of dogs we own. After we divide enough, sure enough, we will get a denomination that is pure as the driven snow, one that agrees with what you think the Bible says.

15. reformedbeliever

Exactly.... my thoughts.... sarcasm and all. I certainly understand the resons why we have denominations...... although I don't believe that is what Jesus was praying for in John 17. With all the different kinds of "Baptists" why not some more?.... (sarcasm inserted)

We are one of the "Baptist" churches without the name "Baptist". That too, has caused division. "you are not baptist unless you have the word baptist in your name"........... (more sarcasm inserted)

16. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: The fundamentalists on the SBC Trustee Boards are already narrowing the parameters by excluding from SBC service those who were not baptized in the right church and those with a private prayer language. Is there any reason to think the minority Calvinists will not be next?

If the fundamentalists retain control of the SBC Boards, the Calvinists may be next in a few years. That is a problem with narrowing any of the parameters; where does it stop?

17. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think you're over-estimating the situation. Most churches don't care what the SBC does...we simply faithfully give to the CP and don't put up with or pay attention to the silliness of politics and punditry.

The SBC is a big-tent organization is better b/c of the calvinists and non-calvinsts in the group. There are extreme sides on this issue...most faithful Christians are in the middle.

18. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Nah...we have much more important things to split over. Like music styles or casual dress, or dare i say women wearing pants!!! :laugh:

19. reformedbeliever

Could this happen in your local association? Could there be a faction that is against the other who starts a campaign (phone and letter) to stir up support for either side... and then draw lines? Could they fire your director of missions because he holds to one or the other of doctrine? Think about it. It is happening.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If anyone wonders how all the denominations got started, look at the threads on this board and multiply it by 2000 years.