1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should the SBC divide over Calvinism/non-Calvinism?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by reformedbeliever, Oct 24, 2007.

1. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

I'm not sure why you mention this in this thread. Does this mean you would have started 69 different denominations?

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They should. Free will is not the Gospel.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...neither is calvinism.

4. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Where did you get your information on baptism?

5. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: It was on a number of blogs over the past year. The SBC IMB is the agency that got the most attention.

6. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

But the SBC has already split once, with the formation of the CBF.

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Statements like this are why thousands of young clergymen like myself are walking away from traditional denominational life. The arrogance of such statements pushes more people away from grace than does draw them closer.

8. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Here's the thing, part of Baptist...particularly Southern Baptist...life is this whole idea of the local autonomy of the NT church. These guys aren't getting near my church and I don't want to get near them. Honestly, if we have this kind of stuff to argue over we probably need to spend more time reaching people who really need Christ. :)

This isn't a legitimate topic to dispute (I appreciate your desire to make us aware.) We are a BIG TENT denomination and anyone who wants to narrow that coverage needs to leave. (Of course one could make the point that this is the natural outcome of drawing fundamentalists into our denomination to win a cold war of theology.)

Anyhoo, the other issue this...my DOM hasn't visited the church where I get to serve ever and we don't need him to. I don't even know who our DoM is. The hyper-denominationalism of our state and national offices, the over-stafffing, has led to a glut of people who need to be in local churches doing the work of the Gospel and not staring out a window.

There are good DoMs out there and I appreciate their hard work. I'm sure our DoM works hard...I've just never met them. If this kind of issue takes someone down, shame on us. But I also don't have the time to waste arguing with someone over particular election versus general election.

9. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I say this with honesty and genuine love for another brother...praise God we agree on something! :thumbs:

Let us celebrate our agreement! :1_grouphug:

10. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm starting the Preterist-Calvinist-Old Earth-(possibly annihilationist) Denomination. Care to join?:laugh:

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I like the SBC ;)

12. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

The funny thing is, one of the only reasons I support the SBC is because I'm theologically baptist and I think the Cooperative Program is genius.

Otherwise I think the denom is doomed to eat its young, sling arrows across the battlefield of destoryed lives, and keep bombing the same rubble.

13. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Yeah, as long as its not affecting our church... we probably should just stick our head in the sand. :saint:

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think the wiser heads in the SBC on both sides are trying to prevent such a split.

A three-day conference, called "Building Bridges: Southern Baptist and Calvinism" will be held November 26-28 at Ridgecrest in North Carolina. Folks from both sides of the spectrum are on the program. It's co-sponsored by SBC Founders and Southeastern Seminary. SEBTS President Danny Akin is not a Calvinist, but has been quite charitable in his public statements on the subject.

Paige Patterson (non-Cal) and Albert Mohler (Cal) had a debate at a recent Southern Baptist Convention which was remarkable in its civil tone and mutual respect.

If the SBC splits, it won't be because the Calvinists want it. If they did, they would have pulled out a long time ago.

The issue that divides churches in this part of the country is not Calvinism. It's alien baptism. Keep and eye on this one. It's probably already in your back yard.

15. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the fundamentalist takeover in 1979, the SBC strategy has been to draw a dividing line between Baptists. They are about doctrinal purity at all costs. They define "the facts". Dissent is not to be tolerated.

Tim Reynolds

16. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Your comments about "narrowing parameters" are right on the mark. The SBC leadership has been doing that for almost 30 years. However, with Al Mohler at Southern Seminary pushing a Calvinist position, the Calvinists may be ascending instead of being in danger of being excluded.

Tim Reynolds

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. SBC began with Calvinists.

2. Dr. Mohler is a great man of God, and he continues to make the correct decisions. Look at what he's done at SBTS, since he's been there.

3. What if Dr. Mohler were president also of the SBC?

#37 TCGreek, Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2007
  18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree with those who said this should be kept out of the church, the vast majority of subjects debated on this board. Unless there was something that compromises the Gospel, petty arguing and nonsense debates would not be allowed to destroy the unity of our church. To put it another way, I would do whatever is necessary to stop it.

No local church is beholding to the SBC. A 5 minute vote could end any association with the SBC if the discord ever became too much for a local church to handle.

#38 saturneptune, Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2007
  19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Me too! :thumbs:

20. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This is what the SBC is counting on. That is why the SBC is in the mess it is in. I think I have quoted the opening sentence of H. Richard Niebuhr's The Social Sources of Denominationalism (1929) before. In any case, here it is again along with the following sentence which I think is very pertinent to this thread.

Tim Reynolds