1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should there be a dress code at church?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Feb 25, 2008.

?
  1. Yes.

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. No.

29 vote(s)
    78.4%
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Your answer is?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Absolutely not

3. Joe

Joe New Member

No dress code, that would certainly backfire. Could ask the teens in youth group to wear a t-shirt which has the churches name on it. Church members kept complaining to me about the teens dress attire so I ordered some.

#3 Joe, Feb 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2008
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Absolutely.

Men - 2 piece suit, dry cleaned monthly. Tie in a color to contrast the suit and with a hankie that matches the tie in the front pocket. Dress shirt should be ironed crisp and all buttons buttoned. Black socks and black shoes to finish the look. Of course hair should be above the ears and above the collar of the suit.

Women - Dresses only because pants are from Satan. Must be within 4" of the ground and no more than 2" from the collarbone. Sleeves should be atleast 3/4 if not full sleeves and dress should reveal no shape of the body. Jumpers are preferrable with a turtleneck under it. Tights or stockings are to be worn and flat shoes with no heel. No jewelry at all and hair must be long (atleast waist length) but pulled up and put into a bun with a bun cover or some other form of covering.

:laugh:

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

A bun? With that much hair, it would be more like a giant hoagie roll, wouldn't it? :laugh:

6. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Love it!

PS -- Have you been to my mom's church???

7. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether we admit it or not, we all live by a dress code. For each one of us there is a line that we do not cross. I believe the line at church should be drawn at modesty.

Of course, I am speaking of saved church members. I expect the lost to dress like lost people.

8. AAA

AAA New Member

I believe there should be a dress code in church...

Case in point...I visted a church once and i went to thier Sunday school class and I sat in the only seat that was not taken up in the front row. In front of the class there was members that was seated facing us. They were talking about a medical mission trip. One of the speakers was a lady with a very short skirt, Because of where I was sitting I could tell you the color of her underwear. I should have got up and walk out, or perhaps pass her a note...I spent the whole class looking at the floor instead and praying against the evil temptations of lust. Not to mention that my wife was not to bit pleased with the way that she was dressed.

p.s....Thanks for making this poll privite...

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why? I'm pretty sure people know where you stand! :laugh:

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Society has a dress code. Clothes are not optional in public.

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I didn't vote because there was no 'other'.

I agree with Pastor Bob on his assessment about modesty.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Modesty is a biblical issue; requiring "certain" clothes is not.

I have a double standard, and I tell my bunch this: I'll confront (privately) one of "my kids" who is dressed immodestly or has an inappropriate-themed shirt on (actually, I have a lady that takes care of the girls on modesty).

If it's a kid visiting for the first time (especially if I get the "vibe" they don't know the Lord), I'm cutting plenty of slack.

I've had a young man who wore a shirt bearing a profanity to church a few months ago...but he didn't know the Lord, and it was his first time to come to church........ever. No way on earth I would have sent him home.

After his second week, wearing the same shirt (I wonder if he had another one! :smilewinkgrin: ) We chatted. I gave him a student ministry T-shirt (we do really nice ones), and asked him to wear it the next week. He did.

We're still working on him. He'll come around.

13. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Pastor Bob said it all.

14. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    no dress code. Pbviously people should dress modestly, but will you station people to stand at the door and cull out the immodestly dressed. That sounds like a job no one would want except, of course, the local perv.:praying:

15. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think some here maybe confusing two different issues.

I would agree that most believers have a dress code even if it is unwritten, and it should revolve around modesty

But that does not mean in any way that a church should have a dress code.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

For my family, my dress code for church is this: no sneakers, no jeans, no shorts. My kids are all great in choosing their clothes (well, except my 5 year old - the outfits she comes up with.....OY!) and my teen girls HATE showing skin. So they're careful to dress modestly and appropriately but stylish. We are quite happy to use camisoles under tops to make them modest and all bellies are to be covered! :)

For others, I'm just glad they're at church and I'll allow God to speak to them.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

I deal with this more on out-of-church events. A beach trip can be an adventure...hence, the ladies helping me in this area.

Please understand, when I referred earlier to addressing modesty issues, it is not in a "stand at the door and nail 'em" sense...and it is for egregious issues...AND it is for those of mine that are part of our church.

But I agree that a dress code (in its strictly defined sense) doesn't exist here.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

I should've let you write my post. :D

19. Gayla

Gayla New Member

But . . . . but I don't like turtlenecks!!!!!!!!!!
    and my hair is waaaay too short

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Heathen.

;)