1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should we celebrate Mother's Day in worship?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, May 8, 2010.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Ugh. One time I had a youth minister who doused himself in Old Spice.

Ugh. Stop already. Mamma would be mad.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who does this? It looks to be an exaggerated claim used to demonize a practice based on personal preference.

#82 Revmitchell, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Who says we're worshipping her? Who says we're taking away the day from the Lord? Can you show me the Scripture that says that the church assembly should only be focused on the Lord in worship at every moment? I haven't seen it myself but maybe it's hidden in there.

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh lets see
    Note nothing here about using that day to honor your mother and worship her but the Lord because its a holy day not to be desecrated by worshiping your mother. Don't fall into the trap Aaron did
    like the rest of the nation.

Or the fate will be the same as all the idolaters.

Note who of the catholics say they worship Mary? Of course people don't say that to support their idolatry.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You are really quite funny. I can't believe the hoops you jump through.

Hope you don't drive on Sunday.

Hope you don't eat on Sunday.

Hope you don't think about anything but God on Sunday.

Hope you don't have any sort of relations with your wife - or even hold her hand or focus on her in any way.

Hope you don't play with your children.

Hope you do nothing but read the Word and sing hymns to God from sun-up to sun-down.

That's what you're saying here.

When we bow to the mothers and plead with them to do the supernatural for us, then we are worshipping them. Until then, we're following God's command to honor them. I guess you only follow the first to commandments?

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

How often do you keep the Sabbath?

7. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not rationalizing breaking the ten commandments like you are. A little discipline goes a long ways. I bet you put up the idols of the eagle on poles in your sancturary that holds the American flags too. I wonder if you have the christian flag idol in your sanctuary? And everytime someone raises their hands in praise I bet its in front of your eagle idol. So not only do you have special spring days of worshiping he goddess Gaia's avatars your worship a created creature in your services on a flag that represents the nation you live but not the kingdom you claim to be a part of. I bet you drive your car on the Sabbath huh? Create fire to do so thus disobeying the will of the Father. I bet after service on Sunday you get in front of your screen and shout in exstasy over 11 men dressed in the colors of your favorite afternoon god as they demonstrated the agility and power of the gods by moving a ball down a feild. You give your offerings to these gods so that you might obtain an image on a glass or mug or t-shirt - or index finger of that god. Shame for shame.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This silly boy appears to be playing devils advocate to defend Catholics who pray to Mary. As if his comparisons are equal. :rolleyes:

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope - not breaking the 10 commandments like you are. ;)

Oh - I didn't know that the eagle was an idol! I thought it was a decorative top for the flagpole! But to be honest, I have no idea if there is an eagle there or not since that's not what I look at in the service.

Nope - no Christian flag idol in the sanctuary although we do have the Christian flag. We also have the flags to represent every country we have missionaries in. Yep - there are a lot of flags.

Nope - it's in front of God. :wavey:

HUH?? I think your Kool-aid was red because I hear that there's something in that red dye that affects people's minds.

That I do. It's hard to get my 7 year old to walk the 4 miles there and back. She's such a heathen.

SNIFF - I guess I'll confess to the fire in the fireplace on Sunday night too?

Ick! I'm SO not into football! Nah - instead I usually spend the time after church with my family. GASP!!! Maybe I'm worshipping them!

Nah - I hate having images on my t-shirts and mugs. It's just so....low class.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - So true. :)

As I said, when I bow in front of the moms, cry and kiss their feet and expect them to do supernatural things - when they cannot hear me THEN we've got something to talk about.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He needs to take his Catholic apology back down to that thread and quit trying to derail this one.

12. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not true at all. Being silly yes. Catholic no. The Rev has catholics under every pillow and behind every door. I on the other hand enjoy taking the Mick.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Really?prove it

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What's to prove? You claim people are Catholics that aren't like myself. Yes, I know a lot about Catholic belief. But I'm not a jesuit spy if thats what you think. And I'm definately not educated enough in theology to be an apologist so what do you have? Every time I take the mick you accuse me of being Catholic. I like pulling people chains at times. But of course I think you take things a little too seriously.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

uh huh..........

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why don't you accuse me of being an atheist? After all I've defended evolution on this site. I compare the Genesis account to mythology. I've taken the mick once and said something to the effect that since God doesn't heal amputees it questions the validitiy of all claims. But of course you didn't call me an atheist. Why not?

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

oh no..you've backed me into a corner :rolleyes: Why don't you provide the post in this thread where I called you a Catholic.

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

Good grief...the longer you're on here, the stranger your posts get.

19. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Did you not say
    and then make the same implication by stating
    ?

20. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Everyone takes everything so seriously. I was taking the mick. I almost went down to the thread Politics and suggested that we create a society of two classes. 1) civilians and 2) citizens. Civilians have no rights but nothing is really required either. Citizens must serve in the military and are allowed to vote and can have children. Based on Heinlens book Starship troopers but decided to have fun up here instead. Who honestly has a problem with honoring mother's on mother's day? If I didn't get my wife flowers I would have ended up having to kick out the dog from his out door dog house.

#100 Thinkingstuff, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010