1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should we have Baptist Monastries?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben W, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Throughout the history of the church there have been various monastic orders, the idea being that people go and live in them, usually in male - female groupings. The idea being that people use the time to work in the fields of the monastry and devote themselves to prayer and bible study and living in a completley christian community.

Considering where the modern world is at with all of our problems with substance abuse and various other ills of society, should we have a look at setting up some Baptist Monastic Orders?

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Personally, I do not think this is a good idea, nor do I think it's scriptural.

Jesus had his disciples go out into the world. He commanded us to go into the world to make disciples, and we are told to go out and preach the word and be salt and light in the world.

I think periodic retreats are great, but living apart from the world as a lifestyle is not a good thing.

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

It would be a nice place to spend a couple of years.

4. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Christ didn't save us to let us keep it to ourselves. He saved us to tell others.

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yet monastaries do good work in the community and the idea is to network with local churches.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Why not just go get involved in the local church and be a Christian in the community? What do we need monasteries for when we have a NT pattern of living and ministry in the local church?

7. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yet we do not live in community as the early church once did!

8. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

I would love to wear a monk robe and sing all day long. Sounds kind of fun.

9. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

"I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
    I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
    They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
    Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
    As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world." John 17:14-18

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Doesn't sound like what Jesus told His followers to be doing.

11. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it the environment of "cloistered" communities that gave us many of the heresies of the RCC?
    Just wondering.
    If that is indeed the case, then it follows that a monastic life for Baptists, no matter how well intentioned at the beginning, would be a disaster.

In HIS service;
    Jim

12. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well I think that "Jerry Falwell" would be a great pope of the Baptist Church. I suppose we could let Franklin Graham be an Abbot!

13. mioque

mioque New Member

Time to clear up some misconceptions on monasticism.

Marcia, Soulman
    "but living apart from the world as a lifestyle is not a good thing."
    "
    Many monastic orders don't live apart from the world. Think for example of the Jesuïts and a whole host of missionary orders that have gone out and spread the Word.
    Even those that do lock themselves away usually do usefull things for the Christian community outside, like organize retreats or providing a decent priced bookbinding service to rebind much of my church's librarybooks (many modernday Christian publishers don't bind their stuff properly).

av1611jim
    "isn't it the environment of "cloistered" communities that gave us many of the heresies of the RCC? "
    "
    Impossible to know, a number of seperate Christian churches have a monastic tradition, all those churches hold to infantbaptism. Does that mean that living in a convent caused that idea to surface? All those churches hold to Paul's claim that celebacy can be preferable to marriage, an idea that has basically died out outside of these churches. Does that mean that not having convents caused that idea to die out?

One thing that is certain is that Christianity has survived in places like Egypt because of monasticism.

14. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Well, it would certainly stop the population explosion... :rolleyes:

15. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

You can't improve your fishing skills in the middle of the Mojave Desert.
    [​IMG]

16. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

[Inappropriate comment snipped]

[ January 16, 2005, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob ]

17. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Most of us live in a community of some sort, which is what I said originally. To withdraw in some sort of monastery is both unnecessary and wrong. We are to be in teh world reaching the world.

18. Karen

Karen Active Member

Most of us live in a community of some sort, which is what I said originally. To withdraw in some sort of monastery is both unnecessary and wrong. We are to be in teh world reaching the world. [/QUOTE]

Yet it could be maintained that many monasteries were not remotely withdrawn from the world.
    During the Middle Ages, they were often centers for schools, hospitals, hotels, almshouses. As well as copying Scripture.
    They often were a main source of steady employment for the surrounding countryside.

The Venerable Bede, ca. 700, in Northumbria, England,is one of my favorites to study. His studies and his knowledge of many fields was astonishing. He simply helped keep civilization alive. The last thing that could be said about him and many like him was that he was withdrawn from the world.
    That does not mean Baptists should have monasteries. Just that I disagree with some details of your understanding.

Karen

19. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

ah my comment is gone. I was just trying to be funny. Sorry that I was inappropriate. Please forgive me.

20. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

amazinglove92---You are forgiven---moderators scan through and make judgment calls--that was one of them!

But, hey! Please feel free to enjoy the "cyber" fellowship anytime!

Blackbird