1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should we learn Greek?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Phillip, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peter was "unlearned fisherman"? Not so. For any Jewish man to pass bar mitzvah, he had an education easily equivalent to a high school diploma today.

He had to know Greek very well for running his business. And writing a couple books of the Bible!!

He had to know Aramaic excellently since it was lingua franca of the region.

He had to know Hebrew very well to function in synagogue and Temple.

And probably he knew Latin fairly well, since it was the language of government and Roman rule.

Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic and a smattering of Latin. Man, I wish I was an ignorant fisherman!

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

gb93433, you make some very excellent points. I would be interested in seeing how many people who are arguing "against" learning Greek vs. those arguing "for" Greek and compare it to their background history of education in Greek.

I remember when I got my MBA one of our "business law" professor (an attorney and professor) told us that it would often do no good to argue with someone without the education that we were getting because they would "just not get it". It was like enlightenment. If you had the education it is almost impossible to even discuss the subject without that education because they haven't been there.

That is the reason I would like to really see the comparisons.

Of course, there are also one or two who have some education and do not want anybody else to get the same thing by saying a "little is dangerous". I think this is a cop-out and really means--"I would rather they not learn any Greek because they might know as much as I do."

I do NOT buy the fact that you must know Latin, linquistics and fifteen languages to learn a lot of the nuances of Greek.

Even two basic college courses may not make one an expert, but any education opens your eyes to an understanding of how the science of translation works; as compared to no Greek education and blind faith that the translators are copying Greek to English "word-for-word" (like some on this board believe.)

Just my humble thoughts.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Those who refuse to be convinced of the topic will not. They will remain just as they are.

From the Introduction to An Interlinear Literal Translation of the Greek New Testament by George Ricker Berry, Ph.D.

The Value of Hebrew and Greek to the Clergyman

1. Without some knowledge of Hebrew and Greek, you cannot understand the critical commentaries of the Scripture, and a commentary that is not critical is of doubtful value.

2. Without some knowledge of Hebrew and Greek, you cannot satisfy yourself . . as to the changes which you will find in the Revised Old and New Testament.

3. Without some knowledge of Hebrew and Greek, you cannot appreciate the critical discussions relating to the Books of the Old and New Testament.

4. Without some knowledge of Hebrew and Greek, you cannot be certain that in your sermon based on a Scripture text, you are presenting the correct teaching of that text.

5. Without some knowledge of Hebrew and Greek, you cannot be an independent student or a reliable interpreter of the Word of God.

6. As much knowledge of Hebrew can be secured in one year with the aid of an Interlinear Old Testament as can be gained of Latin in three years. Greek, though somewhat more difficult, may be readily acquired with the aid of an Interlinear New Testament/Lexicon.

7. The Hebrew language has, in all, 7000 words, and of them 1000 are repeated over 25 times each in the Old Testament.

8. Hebrew grammar has but one form of the Relative pronoun in all cases, numbers and genders; by three forms for the Demonstrative pronoun. The possible verbal forms are about 300 as compared with the 1200 found in Greek. It has practically no declension.

9. Within ten years, the average man wastes more time in fruitless reading and indifferent talk, that would be used in acquiring a good working knowledge of Hebrew and Greek that in turn would impart to his teaching that quality of independence and of reliability which so greatly enhances one's power as a teacher.

10. There is not one minister in ten who might not if he but would, find time and opportunity for such study of Hebrew and Greek as would enable him to make a thoroughly practical use of it in his work as a Bible-preacher and Bible-teacher.

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I went looking for information on Dr. Berry. Could not find much biographical info. If you have a link I would like to look it over.
    In the mean time, I did find this :

www.keithhunt.com
    Another very often used form of study proof texting, is to use just certain so-called "scholars" and their slant on a word or phrase (which may be from their doctrinal bias, yes, as shocking as it sounds, that does happen within the circle of the "scholars"). Or they may quote only from the scholars of Greek and Hebrew, the part that suits their teaching only, and so once more making you think the scholars agree with them. Of course, they will not tell you that even "scholars" of Greek and Hebrew (and other skills also) DISAGREE among themselves at times. We all know how the "doctors" of the medical profession will disagree with each other. We see it all the time on the investigative TV shows such as "Dateline" - "60 Minutes" - "20/20" etc. Yet, some how we religious people quake in our boots if someone quotes a "scholar" who may have studied Greek or Hebrew. And if a "church" quotes such a fellow to back their teaching, well that seals the matter, so we think, not realizing other Greek and Hebrew scholars may completely disagree with the ideas and the theology of the first guy. We need to be aware of such tactics by some "religious" folk and church organizations.

I found it very pertinent to our discussion.

In HIS service;
    Jim

5. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Thank you, Jim. This is EXACTLY why it is so very important for every Christian to learn Greek for themselves. Otherwise they are at the mercy of the evildoers described in your quote.

[​IMG]

6. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

Something also to bear in mind is that a Pastor must be one who is thouroughly knowledgable about the Word of God. One of the qualifications for a Pastor is found in Titus 1:9:

He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it. (ESV)

And for those who are KJV-only, this:

Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers. (KJV)

This verse seems to be clear about one of the qualifications of a Pastor/Elder/Bishop, in that such a person must possess a thorough understanding of the Scriptures. An elementary understanding of Greek & Hebrew seems to be the norm for many men who are graduating Bible colleges in most evangelical/fundamental circles. Considering the vastness of knowledge possessed by man today, and the amount of education one gets in vocations outside of Pastoral ministry, why would one think that an education in Greek & Hebrew, as well as theology would be inapplicable for anyone aspiring to be a Pastor? The qualifications notwithstanding, it seems that a wise course of action for the prospective Pastor would be to get a good education from those who handle the Word. Did not Paul stay in Damascus for some time studying the Word and getting divine knowledge of our Savior Jesus Christ before beginning his ministry? Just some thoughts, folks! [​IMG]

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For $19.95 everyone here may get a Interlinear Greek NT by George Ricker-Berry, head of languages at University of Chicago (back in the good old days).
    </font>
    • Greek of Stephens (1555) so will adapt to AV1611, but with textual apparatus on each page to see variants.</font>
    • KJV (not sure which revision) in margin</font>
    • Literal English word under each Greek word</font>
    • Complete lexicon (dictionary) of Greek words in back</font>
    • Synonym and troublesome word helps</font>
    I have been in churches where every family had one and the dad carried it to SS/Church. When I preached I knew I couldn't "fake it" and claim some word or meaning without my feet being held to the fire.

Two thumbs up from this balcony. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Don't forget to check e-bay. I obtained about five interlinears (some different source texts). An Entire Bible Interlinear is usually quite expensive, but just a Greek NT interlinear is usually very reasonable.

I have a paperback I bought from Ebay that is right here on my work desk. I think I paid $3.00 for it plus shipping.

IT also contains a new Greek-English NT Lexicon.

The Greek Text is Stephens, 1550. But it also gives readings of the Elzevir, 1624 TR in the notes and they are marked with an "E" for comparison.

Oh my goodness, it has those nasty footnotes and brackets. It says right here that "Verses marked with brackets [] are not in the oldest and best manuscripts of the New Testament."

Well, so much for THAT Interlinear...... :rolleyes:

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That means it's an honest one! Wouldn't want any other.

CAVEAT: Jay Green has a 4-volume set (3 OT, 1 NT) interlinear that is nice type size and font. He also has a massive 1-volume of the same thing, set in tiny type and very unwieldy to use.

I picked up the 4-vol for $30 brand new hardback and that was about the same cost as the eye-ruining single vol.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While AVjim cited www.keithhunt.com, he failed to mention that this was not only a non-Baptist site, but anti-trinitarian, seventh-day, observing the Mosaic law and festivals, and generally associated with many of the typical Armstrong-cult beliefs as a break-away sub-cult.

This means that the quote given is actually intended to lure readers *away* from what orthodox evangelical scholars happen to advocate (Greek/Hebrew not being the primary issue).

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

KeithS said:

God used Peter (an unlearned fisherman) and Paul (a Pharisee of the Pharisees) in miraculous ways.

It's worth pointing out that (obviously) both of them knew Greek.

If it's good enough for Paul, it's good enough for me! [​IMG]

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

GREAT point, my good buddy by the sea! ;) [​IMG]

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Hmmmm;
    Lots of back patting, but STILL not ONE comment on Mr. Dwight Moody's work apart from any reliance on Greek.
    "Things that make you go hmmm."
    In HIS service;
    Jim

14. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

What of it? If Mr. Dwight Moody jumped off a bridge, would you?

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Moody ever read commentaries?
    (all are based on Greek)

Did Moody ever use a concordance?
    (all are based on Greek)

Did Moody recognize HIS lack of education and start his OWN school?
    (duh)

16. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Dwight Moody was definitely a good man of God. The question here is not to ask if you have to take Greek in order to be a good Christian. The question is, is there a desire to learn Greek among church members AND does it do anything to help you in your Christian life.

Just because Bro. Moody didn't know Greek certainly does not mean that it cannot be advantageous to a Christian. It does not mean that it does not provide a unique experience, reading God's Word just as He had it penned.

Now, before you go off the deep end AV1611 and accuse me of calling you something you aren't, this next statement has nothing to do with you.

In general has anyone noticed that the crowd that is typically against learning Greek is often the KJVO crowd? Is this because they REALLY DO feel the KJV surpasses the Greek manuscripts that it was translated from.

17. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

A True Story

One day several years ago I went to the San Diego Zoo with a friend named Craig. We saw the lions and the tigers, the elephants and the bears, and all sorts of other animals. And when we had seen the zoo, we walked out the gate, into the parking lot, and towards Craig's old Chevy Camaro. As we approached Craig's car, Craig spotted a brand new Corvette and walked over to admire the car that he had always wanted. I wasn't interested in the Corvette, but the car parked next to it caught my eye. It was a brand new Ferrari!

After a little while, Craig noticed where my attention was and got curious and came over. Craig saw the hand-painted body reflecting the skill and care of the European craftsmen and their many hours of careful and meticulous labor. Craig saw the hand-sewn interior made from the finest leather and perfectly pieced and stitched together. Craig saw the Ferrari and then he turned and took another look at the Corvette . . . and it had changed! The Corvette had become just a "sardine can" rather than Craig's dream car.

Many of us have our favorite translation of the Bible. Craig's favorite translation was the King James Version. Many of us also have our favorite make and model of car. Craig's favorite was the Corvette, and he often dreamed of owning a brand new one, but all that he could afford was his old Camaro. But that day in the parking lot at the San Diego something happened that radically changed Craig's preference for a car—he saw that something that out-classed the Corvette that he had always wanted.

For those of you who have a favorite translation of the Bible, and are really not all that interested in learning to read the New Testament in Greek, I suggest that you take a look at it, better yet, take it for a test drive.

[​IMG]

18. KeithS

KeithS New Member

:confused:
    My point was not that Peter did not know Greek. It was the language of his world. My point was that Peter was not "university" educated in the study of scripture or theology, as oppossed to Paul. God used both. God uses both today. As I said previously - I prefer a languages background - but I do not find it to be a test of faith or piety. Some on this thread seem to be saying that if you have a background in the languages you are a better Christian or a better Pastor. Ridiculous.

I've also only read one or perhaps two comments about learning Hebrew. I've studied both - master of neither.

Personally I'm with the OP. Prior to this post I was considering approaching our Pastor about just such a class for our Wednesday night small group studies as long as there was enough interest. However - I am seeing very few of you Greek guys pushing for Hebrew classes or claiming how knowing Hebrew helps you understand Scripture. Granted, the thread is about Greek, but shouldn't you be consistent in your views?

Perhaps someone with more time should consider a Poll question - If you have studied Greek, how many also have a background in Hebrew? [​IMG]

19. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Phillip said;

Now, before you go off the deep end AV1611 and accuse me of calling you something you aren't, this next statement has nothing to do with you.

In general has anyone noticed that the crowd that is typically against learning Greek is often the KJVO crowd? Is this because they REALLY DO feel the KJV surpasses the Greek manuscripts that it was translated from.

Thank you for the clarification Phillip. I do think you are right however. I have encountered MANY in my own church who do feel that way. I am not decided as yet. I believe I have a bit more study to do. Although I HAVE had 3 semesters of Greek, I do wonder of its value. I hear what you guys are saying. I am not convinced of its necessity but I will not say it cannot be helpful if one so desires.
    In defense of my friends and fellow church members who are against the need for Greek:
    I have found that the majority of the men in MY church who feel that way, have themselves studied some Greek. Obviously I cannot speak for other KJVo men in other churches. It goes without saying that every poster in this thread can only speak of their own experience, therefore, if you have studied Greek and found it helpful then naturally you will think it to be helpful for any other person also.
    BTW; Thanks guys for at least commenting on your views of the work of Mr. Moody. It helps me see your point of view a lot more clearly. ;)
    In HIS service;
    Jim

20. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

:confused:
    My point was not that Peter did not know Greek. It was the language of his world. My point was that Peter was not "university" educated in the study of scripture or theology, as oppossed to Paul. God used both. God uses both today. As I said previously - I prefer a languages background - but I do not find it to be a test of faith or piety. Some on this thread seem to be saying that if you have a background in the languages you are a better Christian or a better Pastor. Ridiculous.

I've also only read one or perhaps two comments about learning Hebrew. I've studied both - master of neither.

Personally I'm with the OP. Prior to this post I was considering approaching our Pastor about just such a class for our Wednesday night small group studies as long as there was enough interest. However - I am seeing very few of you Greek guys pushing for Hebrew classes or claiming how knowing Hebrew helps you understand Scripture. Granted, the thread is about Greek, but shouldn't you be consistent in your views?

Perhaps someone with more time should consider a Poll question - If you have studied Greek, how many also have a background in Hebrew? [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]I think EVERYBODY has made it clear that this is just to ascertain how many people think a class would be good and has nothing to do with a person's Christianity. If you will read the entire thread before being negative I would appreciate it.

Also, about Greek vs. Hebrew. The thread is ONLY about Greek. I could also start one on Hebrew, but there are several reasons why I would make Greek the first Biblical language class:

1) The Greek alphabet is MUCH easier to learn than Hebrew and although Hebrew may actually be a simpler language, I found it much more difficult to study because of the completely foreign letters, difficulty in learning those letters and putting a "sound" to them, and finally its backwards. So, in my opinion, Greek is easier to get a handle on.

2) The New Testament is in Greek. Which is the most important of the two?

3) NT interlinears are everywhere and cheap, interlinear Hebrew OT are more expensive and harder to find.

Would we someday do Hebrew? Possibly---but only if the Greek classes were popular.

Greek is actually a "no brainer" when deciding which Bible language to learn first. After all, we could start with Aramaic. . .