1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should we put much stock in relatively NEW doctrine?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Skandelon, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why? Why anything?

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; Hebrews 2:14

The Common Denominator. Is that it?

But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, 1 Peter 1:19,20
    And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. Rev 13:8

Why would it be necessary for man, made a little lower than the angels to have free will?

If he has free will he is then going to have to save himself because in the end of it all he will have to choose.

Since Adam what has every man that has chosen to will, willed?

The only man born of woman for whom it mattered was, the Christ, made a little lower than the angels.

He has become the new creation.

#41 percho, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2014
  2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1]You are not using the biblical word foreknowledge correctly

2] The chicken came first

3] regeneration comes first

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm listening...........please explain the correct definition of foreknowledge.

The way I understand foreknowledge is that God cannot learn anything, God already knew Eve would choose to partake of the forbidden fruit, God already knew Adam would choose to sin, God already knew Noah would choose to obey and build the ark, God already knew David would choose to slay the giant, God already knew Judas would choose to reject Jesus as Christ, God already knew _________ would choose to....etc.

4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

In Romans 3:9-10 Paul teaches that not one person is righteous, yet just one chapter later he declares that Abraham was righteous. Is this a contradiction? OR is Paul addressing two different types of 'righteousness?' Could this distinction help in our discussion regarding soteriology?

Rom 3:20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. 21 But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.

Rom 9:30 What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; 31 but Israel, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it. 32 Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works.

Two types of righteousness:
    1. Righteousness pursued by works = unattainable
    2. Righteousness pursued by faith = attainable

How can proof that righteousness by works is unattainable likewise prove that righteousness by faith is unattainable, as Calvinists suggest?

6. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't matter because the patristic age was preoccupied with more pressing issues. The Church was being persecuted by Rome and it was fragmented within. The prominent doctrinal controversies were baptism, Arianism, and Gnosticism. With the ascendancy of the Roman Catholic Church true theological debate was stifled until the 16th Century Reformation.

As an aside I think the Dispensationalists on this board would make the argument that the fact that their theological system did not appear until the mid-19th Century is immaterial. What's good for the goose....

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Attributes/attrib_04.htm

this will help:wavey:

8. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

9. quantumfaith

Actually ICON, it is VERY likely that Dinosaurs came first, and birds (avian reptiles) descended form particular branches of the dino family tree.

:)

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He asked about the chicken or the egg...not the dino..

hope you are not suggesting evolution;

19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.

23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

It is 24 hour days....The creation rest[sabbath]..was a 24 hour period...not billions of years.:thumbs:

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't believe the exposition really changes anything.

When God foreknows a person, this would naturally include absolutely the whole of the person. Everything I would ever do from conception to eternity was foreknown of God before I ever existed, this is foreknowledge. So to separate foreknowledge into two distinct aspects is just an attempt to save a theology in my opinion. In God's foreknowledge He knows me as a person and everything which comes with being a person. God knows every decision I would ever make, and for those who He did foreknow would decide for Jesus Christ He did elect to become conformed to Himself. God did not get the human race started and then make adjustments. God foreknew the beginning from the end and then God set the events into motion to be played out in real time. God created freewill in the human race, and God knows all the decisions a person will make before that person comes into existence, this is foreknowledge. I don't think it should be dissected and divided apart as the person in the article has done. I think this is just an attempt to dismiss the reality of the word.

12. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The Scripture does not say Abraham was righteous it says: Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.. Abraham was declared righteous because of his faith.

Later we read regarding Abraham.

Romans 4:17-24
    17. (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.
    18. Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
    19. And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara’s womb:
    20. He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
    21. And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
    22. And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.

23. Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;
    24. But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

I would not say there are two types of righteousness in the sense you put. I would say that only God is righteous and that redeemed man is declared to be righteous because of his faith, not that faith merits justification.

Skan, I do not consider myself a student of Calvinism. I have never read anything written by Calvin and have no desire to do so. I have read some authors who teach the doctrines of Sovereign Election and Grace, notably Dagg, Lloyd-Jones, Nettles, some of Boyce who is difficult to follow, and then Conner, considered to be weak on the Doctrines by some.

I believe that Scripture teaches that the believer is justified or declared righteous because of his faith. We may argue the origin of that faith but not its result.

13. quantumfaith

I will go into "stealth" mode so as not to derail.

14. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

He was declared righteous, then...that's what I meant. in one text it says no one is righteous and in another it declares Abraham as righteous...

You deny it and then affirm it... Righteousness pursed by way of merit is unattainable but righteousness imputed by God through faith IS attainable.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well put. Calvinism must redefine the word foreknowledge as it does many other words. In this case it is to support Unconditional Election. The scriptures clearly say we are elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father. These are the persons God in his foreknowledge knows will believe the gospel when they hear it, these are "the sheep" that God gives to the Son.

The foreknowledge of faith is shown in scripture, John chapter 1 for example, Jesus knew Nathanael would be a believer before he ever met Jesus. Another example of foreknowledge of faith (or lack of) is Judas in John chapter 6, where scripture says Jesus "knew from the beginning who believed not". If Jesus knew from the beginning who would not believe, then he also knew from the beginning who would believe. So foreknowledge of faith is shown directly in scripture.

Calvinism's belief that man is unconditionally elected is nothing but pure presumption.

Scripture actually states that men are chosen because of faith.

Jam 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

Men are not chosen because they are poor, a poor man can go to hell like any other man, but no man who trusts in God ever goes to hell, so this verse shows men are chosen because of faith.

2 Thes 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

This verse directly says men are chosen to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit (God's part) and belief of the truth (man's part).

There is much evidence that we are elected because of faith.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not to mention "after their kind" is mentioned. I don't believe that dinosaurs were the same "kind" as birds.

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You miss the exact point of the exposition.This is because you do not have a dead Adam in view.

God does not look forward to learn anything[prescience]

You insert free will where the scripture does not.A nature bound by sin is hardly free.

From A Baptist Catechism with commentary;

#57 Iconoclast, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman
    Your false teaching is because of this twist that you attempt everday;
    I posted this earlier in the thread...it fits your false ideas rather well.

You post this error day after day as truth eludes you.

#58 Iconoclast, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Exactly correct and quite the vital truth that is unchangeable.:thumbs::applause::thumbs:

20. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I thought as much.

I get your meaning but is righteousness that is unattainable, righteousness since it is nonexistent?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.