1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should We Require New Church Members

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, if parents are not doing a proper job - there is always chruch discipline

As far as thithing - well, change that to Grace giving.......

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John.....try finding a large body of water, then find a pier & take a long walk off of it. It would probably help us all if you cant swim cause nobody likes you.:smilewinkgrin:

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Naaa, we all know who we are & where we are going :smilewinkgrin:

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's OK. I can't stand any of you, either.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, almost forgot...we dont agree with SS either. You & Tommy Tune must be affiliated with the SBC. In my world, thats a Yuk Factor.:D

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Man, you don't know what you are missing. We have the most interesting face-to-face debates in SS- sometimes I even debate myself!

Seriously, I would have a hard time going to a church which only had preaching and no small groups or SS. But that's another thread...

7. pk4life

pk4life Member

I don't perceive you as sarcastic, and I don't intend to be either.

I don't differentiate between those two things. I don't see church membership as it's practiced today, in the Bible.

8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our Sunday School classes are more lecture based.

Our Bible School classes are modeled after college level classes, so there is lecture and interaction and that gets fun, particularly when we have pre-arranged debates.

They're fun, especially when you don't know which side you'll be arguing.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No it is not just "the thing to do".

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If someone is discouraged by those things then maybe they are not ready yet.

11. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can probably find something on line that will give you a general idea of what is covered in one. Find one you like and then adapt it to your own situation.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I completely agree:thumbsup:

13. Herald

Herald New Member

No. The Bible does not indicate such classes are necessary. Are they helpful? Yes. But they should not be a requirement for membership. Believe and be baptized is the command. Church discipline exists to deal with false professors.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And neither does the Bible prohibit them.
    Simply, Let all things be done decently and in order., I Cor 14:40

15. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm hearing several people say we shouldn't do it because the Bible doesn't tell us to, but I believe they fall under the category of discipleship, which is clearly taught in scripture.

16. PeterM

PeterM Member

"If you rejoice with me in receiving the ____________ family, please let them know it by saying AMEN."

I remember hearing those words said hundreds of times in nearly a dozen churches over the years and while I did (and do) rejoice when believers submit themselves for membership... there are pitfalls that come with no safeguards to church membership.

Just last year, my church was compelled to discipline one of our members. It was truly one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do in ministry, but in through the course of restoring the individual to membership (which was done... PTL!) he finally admitted that he probably wasn't saved in the first place. We received him as a transfer from another church.

I have always like the idea of having a "new members class" or some kind of orientation, but our experience lead us to make it a reality. We consulted with Mark Dever and 9marks ministries to develop our own materials/curriculum and we are actually moving through the course now on Wednesday evenings to allow all our current members to help work out the kinks. We have entitled it "Assimilate"... It's been a really great experience thus far.

I think we'll end up with a 6 to 8 week course that go as follows:

* Week 1/2: The Gospel. We make no assumptions about a person's spiritual condition. Just because a person says they are saved, doesn't necessarily mean they are. We take the first session to move through the gospel in an intentional way. Our hope is to, one more time, share the good news. It also doubles as evangelism training... never a bad thing.

*Week 3/4: Why Church Membership?: A course that moves through the OT and NT, exposing the truths behind church membership, what it means, and how it works.

*Week 5/6: What We Believe: An intentional, systematic exposure of our theology and doctrines using the church's statement of faith as the foundation.

*Week 7/8: What's Next?: How the member plugs into a small group (if they haven't already), jumps into ministry and missions. We also talk about what a church member should expect from the church and leaders and what the church expects from them. Most of that can be found even in the most generic membership covenants most Baptist churches have.

I recognize that not everyone favors a class like this, but as baptists we have traditionally believed in regenerate church membership. Living in a post-modern culture where still 80% of all people in the USA still identifies themselves as Christians, it is our hope this tool will help reduce problems down the line.

I will say, that Mark Dever, Capitol Hills Baptist Church, and 9Marks ministries have been an invaluable resource along the way.

#56 PeterM, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2013
  17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Looks like a winner to me. We may move to something like this later down the road, but for now the book we are using will do.

18. PeterM

PeterM Member

Thank You!!! We have been pleased with how it's been received thus far by our existing members.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

On this we agree.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do you have your materials to share? I think it's great for other churches to see how a church is doing something and either incorporating it or getting ideas for their own ministry. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.