1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should Women Be ....

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Jan 31, 2014.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

.... Drafted into the United States Armed Forces?

In another thread there appears to be some discussion about whether or not the draft should be reinstated for the US armed forces.

While I have my own opinion about that subject, there are three things about which I would like to read your opinions:

1. Should the draft again be reinstated in the United States?

2. If the draft should be reinstated, should women be drafted in the US armed forces?

3. If women are drafted in the US armed forces, should they be held to the exact same physical training standards as men are held to?

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Women should not be in the military at all.

No.

See above.

Of course.

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I don't know.
    No.
    No.

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

IMHO (and this is only an opinion), I do not believe that a draft for the purpose of keeping the US Armed Forces supplied with sufficient numbers of people would work in today's military.

The reason why I feel this way is that our armed forces are much more "technical" in nature than they were back in the days where people were confronted with being drafted into the military.

This is not to say that, when the draft was in place, there were no highly skilled technical minded people in our nation's armed forces because there must have been some very intelligent people in them in order to keep such things as aircraft, aircraft carriers, battleships, etc., operating. Even tanks required at least a certain amount of technical skill to keep them running as well as they did.

There were, in fact, women in our armed forces because the majority of nurses probably were women, as well as those who may have served as clerical personnel. There were most likely other positions that were filled by women.

I am fairly certain that the women who served in our armed forces were not drafted into the military--although I could be mistaken about that point.

Whatever way that those women entered our armed forces, I salute them! :thumbsup:

If, however, a woman should elect to serve in the US armed forces, I do believe that she should be held to the exact same physical strength requirements as a man is.

Alas, unless things have changed since the days when I was in the military, I don't believe that women are held to the same physical strength requirements as men are.

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Armed forces for the most part if not the whole part don't want the draft. It is just full of motivation problems.

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I think that being in the military should be voluntary and not forced. That eliminates the second question for me. Most women are not capable of the same physical and training standards of men, but then some men aren't capable of it either.

7. Squidward

Squidward Member

The draft should never happen again unless it comes to the point that our very existence as a sovereign nation is threatened. The existence of the draft is a statement gubmint saying "we own you." If the above ever happened I would hope that it wouldn't take a draft to motivate people to defend our way of life.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Having just been to my brother's retirement from 24 years in the Navy, I can clearly see that being in the military doesn't equal being on the front lines. There are SO many jobs that I can see women being drafted but not being in combat. But then again, if men AND women were drafted, who would take care of home? Just the ones who don't pass medical or mental requirements?? That would start to be tricky.

9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know my granddaddy and a bunch of his neighbours went to great lengths to join the Oz army in the WW1, they were told they were not going to be allowed as they were farmers and of paramount importance to the war effort at home.

They had no grown sons to go in their stead. Granddad always felt somehow less than his contempories because of this.

I personally believe a draft/conscription is a dreadful concept, it smacks of enslavement or the pressganging of free men.