1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Should Women Vote

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Nov 19, 2012.

1. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Scarlett O, did you not forget rule #50 in the rulebook?

"50. As much as we dislike Muslims, we do admire the way they keep their women in line"

:smilewinkgrin:

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well, I don't.

3. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

I think women should have two votes for every man's one, especially when it comes to what desserts to bake for thanksgiving! Oh yeah!

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were we arguing that point? That was never in dispute. Nor were Amy and I ignorant of that.

Yes, it says that several times in the book of Judges. But that has nothing to do with Deborah. The men of Israel - doing their own thing - were not in the practice of electing judges to rule over them.

God appointed the judges and evidence of that was lasting years of peace. (Judges 2:16-19)

There is no context-specific calling for her, specifically, BUT neither is there a calling that is context-specific for seven other male judges either. Shagmar, Tola, Jair, Jephthah (the people sought him out), Ibzan, Elon, or Abdon. So by your own assertions, none of these men were judges either - when it specifically says that they were.

None of those judges have a specific calling outlined in the Bible.

There is a context of a calling by God and evidence to look for of that calling for all the judges corporately.

Judges 2:16-19 = "Then the LORD raised up judges who delivered them from the hands of those who plundered them. Yet they did not listen to their judges, for they played the harlot after other gods and bowed themselves down to them. They turned aside quickly from the way in which their fathers had walked in obeying the commandments of the LORD ; they did not do as their fathers. When the LORD raised up judges for them, the LORD was with the judge and delivered them from the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge ; for the LORD was moved to pity by their groaning because of those who oppressed and afflicted them. But it came about when the judge died, that they would turn back and act more corruptly than their fathers, in following other gods to serve them and bow down to them; they did not abandon their practices or their stubborn ways.

While Deborah was judge Israel had 40 years of peace.

She says in the song that she and Barak sang in chapter 5, "Villagers in Israel would not fight; they held back until I, Deborah, arose, until I arose, a mother in Israel."

Have you ever stopped to consider that Deborah being a judge - as the Bible calls her and fitting the description of judge - as the Bible outlined it served to show the nurturing aspect of Almight God?

See how God is referred back to back with both masculine traits and feminine traits in Isaiah 49:13-14 - "The Lord will march out like a champion, like a warrior he will stir up his zeal; with a shout he will raise the battle cry and will triumph over his enemies. 'For a long time I have kept silent, I have been quiet and held myself back. But now, like a woman in childbirth, I cry out, I gasp and pant. I will lay waste the mountains and hills and dry up all their vegetation.....'"

Here's a few other feminine-driven characteristics of God to consider:

• Isaiah 66:13 - "As a mother comforts her child,so will I comfort you;and you will be comforted over Jerusalem.”
    • Isaiah 49:14-15 - "But Zion said, 'The Lord has forsaken me, the Lord has forgotten me.' 'Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!"
    That's nice to know. :rolleyes:

I'm not gung ho over defended a woman as a judge. I AM gungho in asserting that just because you and I don't know God's business in this story doesn't make His business any less divine or Godly.

I have answered as straight-forward as I know how.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not married either. And you can't give Amy and I your answer because we aren't married to you?

6. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I'm korn-feused! Is the OP basically about whether or not women should vote in a political election or whether or not Deborah should have been a judge? :confused:

[BTW, Sarge, why, O why, did U have to ruin my Monday by invoking the Great S Anderson clan??!!?? :BangHead: ]

:smilewinkgrin::laugh:

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry. The OP and the thread is about women voting and Zsuzsanna Anderson's blog.

Sorry, Salty.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because Thursday night is Alf on "The HUB"
    As I stated before, we must be informative of these false beliefs and know how to defend against them

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I read the blog and it was stupid. She says women should not be in positions of authority over men. Ok, but how does voting put me in authority over men? Stupid.

10. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The Scripture quoted in the link {Timothy 2:12 - But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.} is a reference to woman's role in the Church and has nothing to do with the secular world.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Women definitely put Obama in the White House.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Shouldn't Mrs Anderson 'keep silent' and not be expressing her views for men to read?

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Not THIS one! Nor any of my women friends.

Liberals put Obama in the White House, which includes plenty of MEN.

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Actually it was blacks and Hispanics with help from liberals!

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Absoutely right !!! :thumbs: but so sad:tear: