1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should workers be fired for weekend drug use?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ben W, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

By the way, if you go and read my posts in the music forums, you'll have plenty more ammunition to judge me unfairly with.

Happy hunting.

2. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. They have a right to enter into a contractual relationship which employment is and to set the terms for that relationship according to their own principles and needs. An employee has the right to accept or reject those terms.

What you are proposing is that the employee upon receipt of a privilege from a property owner then attains the absolute "RIGHT" to deny the property owner his rights and to dictate to him the conditions he must accept concerning the use of his own property.

Your privacy rights end at his door step. If you don't want to limit the exercise of your property rights in accordance with the agreement to receive the privilege of employment... then don't take his check.

Employment at someone else's property/business is a privilege, NOT A RIGHT.
    So you think it is fine that the government violate an employer's legitimate property rights but wrong that the government might intrude upon your privacy rights or that you might have to limit your expectations of privacy in order to receive a privilege from someone else? That is contrary to libery and rights.
    No. It is dictating what an employee can do outside of work and remain in the privileged relationship of employment.

Only if the employer attempted to test people that weren't employed by them would your argument have any merit.
    The employee accepts as part of that contract a set of behavioral rules. One of those is that while employed the person will not use drugs or have evidence of drug use in their blood.

The employer isn't forcing the agreement on the person. It is entered into voluntarily and may be exited voluntarily.

3. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

Mike--I don't know you. I judge no one. That is God's business. I only take exception to your claim that immoral behavior is nobody's business. To me, and I think this is Biblical, all immoral behavior is the business of all Christians. Not to judge the person, but to evaluate (judge if you prefer) the behavior.

The comment I made about Bible study was uncalled for and I apologize for making it.

4. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

The problem with your statement is that we're talking specifically about a companies authority to regulate its workers when they're off the clock, not church discipline. </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah I am waiting for corporate America to tell me I cant pray before bedtime too. :rolleyes:

Missed points: lots.