1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SHOULDNT ALL BAPTIST CHURCHES HAVE CONSTITUTIONS?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ask this question because I am finding it difficult to get churches I am meeting with (as a possible member) to produce it. Their answer to my question is to go online & read the Statement of Faith. Often I find the SOF to be somewhat vague (not concrete). I mean, what is used to review a person for membership......I hope not the SOF?

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is the title in ALL CAPS?? Is there an emergency such that you need to shout?

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOPE:)

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Short answer - Yes!!!

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate to think this, but sometimes it seems to me that churches want to be vague in terms of doctrinal stances. Other times I wonder if some actually have such stands.

Think of it this way. We have many SBC churches that you'd have to work hard to find that they are Baptist, much less Southern.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A new day has arrived in American Christendom.

If membership is denied certain folks holding certain value systems which are contrary to conservative Christianity and these values not specifically covered with legalese by the church constitution to withhold membership to those holding said values then a given local church will be liable and a lost law suit may shut them down.

Sorry for the run on sentence but it is in all probability going to be a legal problem for churches.

This goes for church employees with an even greater impact.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Church constitutions are important as we go forward (very important if your church allows the public to use the building).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Different feel for sure with the surge of political correctness and a new assault on Christianity and churches.

Home churches may not be too far down the road, but they'll attack that too if it goes to this extreme.

9. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is absolutely right. If your church constitution doesn't lay out that marriage is between one man and one woman, or that sexual acts outside of marriage are sinful, or that the officers in the church have the right to discipline members and so forth, you are going to be sued at some point. Just to say that the church follows the Bible will not work.

Militant atheists and others will not rest until they have destroyed the Church. We need to be wise as serpents as well as innocent as doves.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right, IT. But the more I think of it the more I believe that these circumstances are driving faithful churches towards a discipline that they should have been practicing all along (unless, of course, they are merely acting superficially to these changes).

What I mean is that a church cannot simply denounce one sin and ignore all others. That would be discrimination. They can't (or shouldn't) pick and choose to ban one in the congregation while allowing others. I believe that this act of creating, fine tuning, or just calling attention to Christian belief/discipline is one benefit that we have seen from the rise of publicly accepted sin in our culture. It is a bit easier to identify the faithful (or at least exclude some from the list).

11. Internet Theologian

Yes, focusing on sodomy while turning an eye in a sense on other sins has caused grave damage if not this present judgment or both. It's inconsistency to proclaim the whole counsel of God while proclaiming doing so at the same time.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Baptist churches are usually independent, pretty hard to someone outside the group to compel them.
    You might try asking for their "articles of incorporation." :)

13. Internet Theologian

I'd go show a bit of humility and read their SOF online at the suggestion of the church. Then I'd go back and visit again, and ask is there any more information at some point. Maybe ask directly, 'How do you review people for possible membership, what are the requirements'? and just be gentle and submissive about the whole thing.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ask direct questions & I want direct answers.....anything else is an evasion (highly suspect).