1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Show Us A Sign!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by tyndale1946, Sep 23, 2015.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 12:38 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee.

12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

12:41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

According to these verses the only sign given is the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead... Are we still looking for a sign of Jesus coming when scripture infactically say there will be no sign... Nobody knows the hour or the time when God will send his Son to gather up his own and take them to glory... 500 men saw Jesus ascend... Ye men of Galilee why stand ye gazing into the heavens, this same Jesus who ye see ascend shall return in like manner as ye see him go... When will he come?... Only God the Father knows!... Those are my thought what are yours?... Brother Glen

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you; there will be no sign of our Lord's return. It will come like a thief in the night and at a time when the unsaved are saying "Peace and Safety!" (1 Thes. 5:2-3).

Our job is to watch and to be ready (Matt. 24:36-44).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suggest that the "evil and adulterous generation" is in view, primarily, that doesn't mean signs are not to be discerned:

Matthew 16:3

King James Version (KJV)

3 And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky is red and lowering. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?

It is their spiritual condition that renders them unable to discern the signs of the times. It will be like that in the end time as well.

But we see...

Luke 21:24-28

King James Version (KJV)

24 And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;

26 Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

27 And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

While this has a Tribulation context, it doesn't change the fact that in that day not only will they be able to see the signs of the times, but they are commanded to.

As far as the Rapture goes, if you are Pre-Trib (and I am), then that is a debatable subject, as the Rapture will be an instantaneous event without warning. But I think we could apply the same principle as we see above, and consider the signs of the times, or whether they are signs or not. Nothing else needs to be in place for the Rapture., and just the way this world is going right now we can say at the very least...we are closer than any other generation prior to ours, lol.

And even if one is not a Pre-Trib believer, I think we can apply this principle in general manner, and insist we should seek to be discerning.

God bless.

• Like Like x 1
  4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that the lack of ANY timetable for the rapture is one of the best arguments for the pre-trib. Either mid or post tells you precisely when it will take place - certainly not imminent!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent point. It is a little difficult to pinpoint a twinkling of an eye, isn't it, lol.

God bless.

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is for those "who do not watch" that the Lord's Return will be unexpected for, not necessarily believers during the Tribulation. It is most probable that when Prophecies such as refer to the Two Witness, Antichrist, and the preservation of Israel in the Desert start to unfold, believers will be able to use these events to gain a general time of Return for the Lord.

God bless.

7. Dolour

Dolour Member

Matthew 24 gives us certain signs, which we do observe at this very time. Weve got earthquakes in places without tectonic rifts, we see alot of farmers in usually fertile places being unable to grow anything, and just turn on your TV for the latest rumors of wars or reports on ongoing ones. Add the biblical timeframe of one Generation from the return of the jews to Israel to that, and youll figure that we not just habe prophecised signs, but fullfilled ones.

Gesendet von meinem One S mit Tapatalk

8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello Dolour and welcome to the forum. So you take the position that the generation in view began when Israel was declared a Nation? Or do you see it as a later date than that?

God bless.

9. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to hijack the thread, but I went to college with a pastor of a pentecostal church(not bible college, but a community college) who I think used Israel becoming a nation in 1947 as a referencing point to 'that generation'. I was lost then, so much of what he said I could not grasp. But this was the gist of what he believed.

10. Dolour

Dolour Member

Hello and thanks for the welcome. :)
    I indeed think Israel becoming a State marks the beginning of the "end times" and the soonish return of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ. 1948 +70 years is consistent with Newtons calculations based on the Book of Daniel and converges with the astonishing 4 blood moon event, that happens to take place on biblical holy days.
    I have little to no doubt that the time is indeed near.

Gesendet von meinem One S mit Tapatalk

11. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it significant because it put Israel back on the map on a National Basis. For those of us that see Israel as still in need of the Savior on a National Basis, the UN resolution (think it was 181) marks a pretty important event.

That they are in the Land as a Nation sets up, I think, a condition that did not exist prior to that, where we could see the "peace treaty," so to speak, instigated (lol) by Antichrist become a reality.

God bless.