1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Showing my ignorance: In a nutshell, what is the "Spread Offense"?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Andy T., Dec 17, 2007.

1. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I think I know the answer to this, but I would like to get a better picture of what all is entailed with a typical Spread Offense ("SO"). Can you tell I don't watch much college football?

Is the SO similar to the West Coast Offense in the NFL? Is it an offense with a lot of split formations and passing? Who was its first innovator? When did it come about? Do you think it is a fad that eventually will be countered by defenses?

Thanks for humoring me.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

3. PastorSBC1303

I was watching ESPN a little while ago and they was talking like Michigan was going to be first team in the Big 10 to run the spread. Have they not seen Purdue, Illinois or Indiana play lately? All of them run versions of the spread.

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Ah, ok - I see it has its roots in the old run-and-shoot and even the West Coast Offense. It says in the wiki article that Ohio St. has used the Spread - is that true? I do remember they ran something like that against Michigan in 2006, but that was not typical of their style.

5. PastorSBC1303

I think they ran a limited version of it with Smith and Ginn in their lineup, but I do not think they ran a true spread offense the majority of the time.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

There were several SEC teams who ran the Spread this past season

Florida had pretty good success as well as Kentucky

The offense has the ability to score a lot of points real quick----the defense is forced to spread itself thin and its extremely hard to adjust to the run and shoot schemes

I watched Florida and Kentucky put up a lot of points against LSU using the Spread----in the case of Florida--LSU defense was able to hang tough----triple over time against Kentucky had LSU defense lagging

I believe with the Spread---you'll see more points being scored in a short period of time

I watched several years ago---Louisiana Tech in Ruston---use the Spread---they threw on most every down---and it wasn't uncommon to have 450-550 total offensive yards per game

In time---defenses will learn to adjust and realign and then the Spread will be as obsolete as the triple option Wishbone